• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,349 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2024 at 8:26 AM, F For Fake said:

Now that 20th Anniversary Cap is here, my Avengers feel rounded out. I still need a Black Knight, and maybe a Yellowjacket, and then I'll feel pretty much complete (barring the release of a Perez style Beast.)

The Black Knight/Sersi 2-pack that's exclusive to Amazon is on sale today.

https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-AVN-Legends-ANV-Brown/dp/B0BDJ6F4ZN

81a9FuMidmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 3/12/2024 at 11:01 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Here's something a little different: One of my favorite footballs as a kid in the mid- to late-80s was the Wilson Stuffs football. Wilson made a bunch of different sports balls in the Stuffs line, including baseballs, footballs, basketballs and soccer balls. They were actually made by a company called "Lewco" that carried the Wilson name license.

The balls were made of a leather-like outer vinyl shell and had a polyester fill that gave them a great feel - squishy but firm enough to hold up. The material quality made them really durable. The main line was around 5-6 inches long (so a very mini-ball compared to a normal football). While they were originally geared toward little kids, it turned out they flew fairly well and they the perfect size to stash in a jacket pocket. My buddies and I would spend many, many recesses playing pick-up football using the Wilson Stuffs ball - its size made it more challenging and fun because you could really zip it in to the receivers and it was easier to make flashy one-handed grabs. Other companies have obviously made stuffed sports balls since, but I've never found one that came remotely close to the feel, quality and durability of the Wilson Stuffs line.

I don't know what happened to my original ball, and they've since become a bit (relatively) scarce and therefore a bit (relatively) pricey. I've wanted one for years but never got one, until today. I made a few offers on original Wilson Stuffs on eBay, and finally got one at what was an acceptable price to me. And on top of that, I got something I've never seen before - an advertising promo ball from Lewco and Wilson. This one is even smaller, coming in at about 3 inches long, but made of the same materials.

I'm super excited to finally have one of these again, and can't wait to go toss it around with my kid!

Here's a webpage I found with a little more info on the Wilson Stuffs: https://www.howardwexlertoys.com/invention/sports/wilson-stuffs-lewco/

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.14314f01c09abf694307e26d703d80fd.JPG

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.90b3034d77540778938bce88cb89c72a.JPG

IMG_0857.thumb.JPG.110d8207e1170ac249fcbb11cd701de7.JPG

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.ad38f54c7b09b01e2305c582ec744cf9.JPG

OH wow, sure, I remember those! Along those lines, I've been kind of nostalgic for those vintage NERF footballs, and the prices are YEESH. Who knew? 

JLA wave from McFarlane went up for preorder at BBTS. When I saw them Superman Blue had already sold out and John had just done the same, meaning I only got preorders in on Batman and Aquaman. I hope they get more stock in, I want a whole set, and an extra Superman Blue because I absolutely love that design. 

They no longer show items as Sold Out, but they remove them completely, so even their front-page ad for them is gone. You'd never know they'd been listed yet, which is a change I definitely don't like. 

On 3/13/2024 at 2:06 PM, Cat said:

JLA wave from McFarlane went up for preorder at BBTS. When I saw them Superman Blue had already sold out and John had just done the same, meaning I only got preorders in on Batman and Aquaman. I hope they get more stock in, I want a whole set, and an extra Superman Blue because I absolutely love that design. 

They no longer show items as Sold Out, but they remove them completely, so even their front-page ad for them is gone. You'd never know they'd been listed yet, which is a change I definitely don't like. 

🕊️ hopefully 

On 3/16/2024 at 1:43 PM, shadroch said:

I have not identified the two large Indians, but they are incredibly detailed. Blue figure is most likely from a 1950s Fort Apache set. The other is known as a ring hand, as it's hands allow for interchangeable weapons.

17106109320665877875002046410616.thumb.jpg.fb8e76aa07042615b0f22eb20c0d392b.jpg

17106109810526188887099459843864.thumb.jpg.95276cfa315fe48b7a0cfdf768f7074a.jpg

Those may be prototypes but I remember having the chief with the headdress on my shelf as a kid. It was sculpted of brown plastic though and being that young, I didn’t even know where it came from. Possibly my older brothers when they played with stuff like that in the early/mid 60s

Edited by B2D327

This one’s definitely getting added to the collection. Glad they did the classic style, unlike the Hot Toys version…something ain’t just didn’t like about that one.

3Zero Joes are gonna take up whatever little space I have left if this keeps up because they are looking (shutyomouf) :ohnoez:

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

Edited by B2D327

On 3/20/2024 at 10:51 PM, B2D327 said:

This one’s definitely getting added to the collection. Glad they did the classic style, unlike the Hot Toys version…something ain’t just didn’t like about that one.

3Zero Joes are gonna take up whatever little space I have left if this keeps up because they are looking (shutyomouf) :ohnoez:

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

No no no, it's BANANA for scale, not apple. Get it right, people! 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:02 PM, B2D327 said:

Got the email for pre-order at Sideshow and at first, I really liked what I saw but I’d prefer a headsculpt that wasn’t so aggressive that could maybe be changed now and then. The gritting teeth can be cool but I look at Magneto as such a regal and refined character that it would be how I’d display him. (Yes, I get this is a version from the Jim Lee cover to #1)

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

I'm considering this guy too since Magneto is my absolute favorite villain.  I also am bummed there are no extra heads.  Those magnetic effects are the best ones I've ever seen.  I have the Mondo sixth scale Magneto figure from the animated series and those are fun because his hands are magnetic and the effects cling to the hands, but the design of these is a big aesthetic improvement on any I've seen before.

But I'm skeptical  The Mondo Magneto is the only sixth scale articulated figure I have aside from all dozen or so that Marvel Legends released from around 2014 to 2019, and I'm HUGELY skeptical of how fragile the components are on the Sideshow brands like Hot Toys, Sideshow itself, and now this company which is called Hono that I know zero about.  Definitely waiting for reviews before I jump.

I'm not buying any more Mondo figures because I really don't like the articulation and engineering.  And I look at EVERY one they release from the X-Men animated series because they look spectacular, but the articulation is just not good at all by the standards the 1:12 scale has made me come to expect.  Every Hot Toys and Sideshow figure I've seen reviews for also have MUCH less articulation than almost all 6-inch figures these days, and Mondo has multiple engineering issues.  My Magneto's ankles aren't tight enough for him to stand in any kind of dynamic pose at all for more than a few hours at best, so I can only really pose him in vanilla-legged poses.  I don't want figures that take up as much space as sixth scale figures do if I can't pose them however I want.  The Legends 12-inch figures are mostly just as poseable as their 6-inch figures are--although certainly their later ones released around 2017 to 2019 are far more poseable than the first batch from 2014 to 2016.  But even the early Legends 12-inch figures from Hasbro (Toy Biz made a bunch as well in the 2000s that are nowhere near as good as Hasbro's) have MUCH better articulation than any Hot Toys, Sideshow, or any other 12-inch figure I've seen to date.

Can't wait to learn more about this Hono Magneto!  :popcorn:  I highly doubt I'll end up liking him enough to eclipse the Mafex Magneto which is absolute perfection, but I sure do hope I'm wrong about that.  :wishluck:  Certainly the potential is there since the sixth scale is so much more detailed than the twelfth scale, but so few of the companies focus on articulation in that scale that I'm just not a fan of it for now.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 3/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, fantastic_four said:

I'm considering this guy too since Magneto is my absolute favorite villain.  I also am bummed there are no extra heads.  Those magnetic effects are the best ones I've ever seen.  I have the Mondo sixth scale Magneto figure from the animated series and those are fun because his hands are magnetic and the effects cling to the hands, but the design of these is a big aesthetic improvement on any I've seen before.

But I'm skeptical  The Mondo Magneto is the only sixth scale articulated figure I have aside from all dozen or so that Marvel Legends released from around 2014 to 2019, and I'm HUGELY skeptical of how fragile the components are on the Sideshow brands like Hot Toys, Sideshow itself, and now this company which is called Hono that I know zero about.  Definitely waiting for reviews before I jump.

I'm not buying any more Mondo figures because I really don't like the articulation and engineering.  And I look at EVERY one they release from the X-Men animated series because they look spectacular, but the articulation is just not good at all by the standards the 1:12 scale has made me come to expect.  Every Hot Toys and Sideshow figure I've seen reviews for also have MUCH less articulation than almost all 6-inch figures these days, and Mondo has multiple engineering issues.  My Magneto's ankles aren't tight enough for him to stand in any kind of dynamic pose at all for more than a few hours at best, so I can only really pose him in vanilla-legged poses.  I don't want figures that take up as much space as sixth scale figures do if I can't pose them however I want.  The Legends 12-inch figures are mostly just as poseable as their 6-inch figures are--although certainly their later ones released around 2017 to 2019 are far more poseable than the first batch from 2014 to 2016.  But even the early Legends 12-inch figures from Hasbro (Toy Biz made a bunch as well in the 2000s that are nowhere near as good as Hasbro's) have MUCH better articulation than any Hot Toys, Sideshow, or any other 12-inch figure I've seen to date.

Can't wait to learn more about this Hono Magneto!  :popcorn:  I highly doubt I'll end up liking him enough to eclipse the Mafex Magneto which is absolute perfection, but I sure do hope I'm wrong about that.  :wishluck:  Certainly the potential is there since the sixth scale is so much more detailed than the twelfth scale, but so few of the companies focus on articulation in that scale that I'm just not a fan of it for now.

Just FYI: Hono and Hot Toys are one and the same. Hono is just the name they're using for what they are calling their entry level figures, or something to that effect.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, Dave2739 said:

Just FYI: Hono and Hot Toys are one and the same. Hono is just the name they're using for what they are calling their entry level figures, or something to that effect.

Huh, I did NOT know that! Dave over here dropping the knowledge!