• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,359 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2024 at 1:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

I opened my Snake Eyes so it was not a deal breaker, but everyone I know who received it directly from Walmart got their sample mangled.  Mine came boxed and it was still mangled. 

The cards on these figures are notoriously shoddy. And it's not exclusive to Walmart. I got my retro card Storm Shadow and Zartan from Hasbro and they were fairly bent up. Wish they'd use a sturdier cardstock.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

I opened my Snake Eyes so it was not a deal breaker, but everyone I know who received it directly from Walmart got their sample mangled.  Mine came boxed and it was still mangled. 

I got very lucky and mine was not mangled somehow.  My Zartan and Destro were, though.

On 2/17/2024 at 2:42 PM, whisp said:

I haven't owned one of the retro card back yet but my understanding was that the card stock is flimsy and thin.  

It feels somewhere between the cover of a typical wall calendar and the cover of a Prestige format book like Dark Knight Returns.  Very flimsy for toy packaging.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:46 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Has anyone ever shipped or have shipped to them a USS Flagg, Defiant shuttle or Terrordrome before?

Yes, I bought a Flagg on eBay a few years ago, and it came in a rather large, heavy box.  Everything was packed well, and nothing was damaged. (thumbsu

It also included the original box, which was mailed separately, broken down flat and protected by large sheets of cardboard.

Other than the conning tower, the Flagg breaks down pretty well, though.  The Terrordrome would probably be fine in a large enough box with just a few parts removed.  I don't have a Defiant launch complex, but from what I've seen, it looks rather large and fragile, so I wouldn't want to ship one of those.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:26 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Yes, I bought a Flagg on eBay a few years ago, and it came in a rather large, heavy box.  Everything was packed well, and nothing was damaged. (thumbsu

It also included the original box, which was mailed separately, broken down flat and protected by large sheets of cardboard.

Other than the conning tower, the Flagg breaks down pretty well, though.  The Terrordrome would probably be fine in a large enough box with just a few parts removed.  I don't have a Defiant launch complex, but from what I've seen, it looks rather large and fragile, so I wouldn't want to ship one of those.

My biggest concern with the Defiant would be the gantry wheels. They tend to be fragile from bearing the weight of the gantry over the years, and are often broken. You could try removing them before shipping, but that also poses a risk of breakage. I personally wouldn't ship a Defiant, or buy one to be shipped, but that may just be me. That's definitely the sort of thing I'd hit local toy shows to pick up. We have two GI Joe shows here in town every year, and there's usually a Defiant, or Flagg, or both, floating around in there. Also save on the shipping cost, which I'd imagine is going to be substantial.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, F For Fake said:

My biggest concern with the Defiant would be the gantry wheels. They tend to be fragile from bearing the weight of the gantry over the years, and are often broken. You could try removing them before shipping, but that also poses a risk of breakage. I personally wouldn't ship a Defiant, or buy one to be shipped, but that may just be me. That's definitely the sort of thing I'd hit local toy shows to pick up. We have two GI Joe shows here in town every year, and there's usually a Defiant, or Flagg, or both, floating around in there. Also save on the shipping cost, which I'd imagine is going to be substantial.

They're all part of a collection I purchased, but the guy I purchased them from is willing to put the Flagg and Defiant up locally for sale for me. I'll give him a cut for doing so, but I think that's the direction to go to avoid shipping both to me and then me shipping them out once I sell them. The Terrordrome is shippable without too much risk, so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, F For Fake said:

Wish my city had better toy shows.  We have nothing but garbage booths that its not even worth the $5 dollars to go anymore lol.  Last show I paid $5 to get in and walked out with two hot wheels for $5 since there was nothing.  Felt more like a flea market then a toy show.  Luckily I know someone for the big comic show and can borrow a vendor pass for a couple hours but even then most of the booths are candy, Funko pops and oddball booths and seldom find anything.  I also don't like buying online anymore since so many scammers and repro items.  Its really slowed down my collecting of Joe and finishing my 1982-89 run.  Even on Facebook you see less and less of earlier joes and when you post up a load of 80's Joe stuff for trade no one has what ya want anymore (my list is getting into the harder to get pieces) or they try and scam ya , try and sell/trade you repro ( which is getting really bad now because everyone has a 3d printer lol), try and convince you an accessory pack uzi is the original and the list goes on.  Why I hold onto my bags of accessories and do trade only and don't sell since no one will let go of their hoards of stuff even to sell.  I am lucky if I find a couple pieces a year.   Why I just been doing modern stuff since collecting the original stuff has become annoying.

Here is an example.  All that stuff in the pictures I put up and I still cant even get one item off my list but everyone wants to buy it all.  Same with transformers.  I even tried the oddball stuff.  I swear I thought someone would trade for that pink panosh princess voltron helmet by now.  The A-Team enemies stuff doesn't show up to often either.  Friggin hoarders lol.

bfinished.jpg

greenshirtsjpoe.jpg

backpacks.jpg

helmets.jpg

pistols.jpg

rifles.jpg

swords.jpg

joescomics1.jpg

gijoecomics2.jpg

gijoecomics3.jpg

joedigests.jpg

dmgdigestjoe.jpg

transformerfortrade.jpg

mixedstuff.jpg

On 2/21/2024 at 8:10 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

They're all part of a collection I purchased, but the guy I purchased them from is willing to put the Flagg and Defiant up locally for sale for me. I'll give him a cut for doing so, but I think that's the direction to go to avoid shipping both to me and then me shipping them out once I sell them. The Terrordrome is shippable without too much risk, so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

What's local?  I've always wanted a Flagg.

On 2/17/2024 at 6:17 PM, F For Fake said:

The cards on these figures are notoriously shoddy. And it's not exclusive to Walmart. I got my retro card Storm Shadow and Zartan from Hasbro and they were fairly bent up. Wish they'd use a sturdier cardstock.

I thought I read that moving forward, the GI Joe retro figures will feature a thicker cardstock.

I got a grail of mine today: Mattel DCUC CNC Kilowog. He's an absolute monster so scale is right out the window, but the sculpt is just gorgeous. I love him and he's going to look great with all my other Lanterns. 

On 2/21/2024 at 9:10 PM, Mickey7 said:

I thought I read that moving forward, the GI Joe retro figures will feature a thicker cardstock.

You know I thought I'd heard that as well, but couldn't remember the source so I didn't mention it. But I'm glad I'm apparently not nuts ha Maybe they mentioned it in one of the livestreams or something?

On 2/21/2024 at 11:20 PM, Cat said:

I got a grail of mine today: Mattel DCUC CNC Kilowog. He's an absolute monster so scale is right out the window, but the sculpt is just gorgeous. I love him and he's going to look great with all my other Lanterns. 

That is a very nice one, indeed. One of the best CNC's they did. Congrats. Mattel were absolutely killing it at the time. Between DCUC, Justice League Unlimited, and Infinite Heroes, there was an INSANE variety of DC product on the shelves. Great times. 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:32 PM, F For Fake said:

That is a very nice one, indeed. One of the best CNC's they did. Congrats. Mattel were absolutely killing it at the time. Between DCUC, Justice League Unlimited, and Infinite Heroes, there was an INSANE variety of DC product on the shelves. Great times. 

I just never wanted the whole wave, and thought it was 'too expensive' to buy whole waves back then just for CNC's I wanted. Boy if me back then knew today's prices! It was a great time. I could spend big bucks and time trying fruitlessly to get these new McFarlane releases, or I could fill in holes from my Mattel collection, and expand it. I'll take option B) thanks. 

On 2/21/2024 at 9:10 PM, Mickey7 said:

Yes, the next waves of them will be on a thicker, more typical style card back.  This was confirmed in one of Hasbro's product reveal videos, and the Cobra Commander that came with the HISS tank is the first one they've released like that.  It's a HUGE improvement. (thumbsu

Lol just went to BBTS and their big newest item for preorder is a 1/12 scale Halo Carter* figure. "Hot damn I need that!" I thought, and went to preorder it. $180US. Yeeeaaahhhh not so much, it seems.

*Carter is my absolute favourite Halo character. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:48 PM, Gonzimodo said:

(Yes, I'm quoting myself. :insane:)

Here are some comparison shots of the old card and the newer, sturdier cards.  I don't know how well it shows in the pictures, but the new card (on CC) is much thicker and sturdier.  It feels like a classic/standard action figure card back and doesn't curl up like the older ones (Snake Eyes).

Joes1.jpg

Joes2.jpg

Joes3.jpg

Nice, good to know!