• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,349 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 9:55 AM, Cat said:

Nice pick-up on Psylocke. She looks gorgeous, don't think you can go wrong on that one. I skipped the X-Men 97 Gambit, seeing as he's still got pinned joints. Only one in the wave to do so. He was a side grade at best, and I didn't feel he was much of an improvement over the last one, so I passed on him. If he'd been pinless I'd have picked him up in a flash. 

Yeah, the price on the McFarlane Crisis wave is ridiculous. I was tempted by Spectre (just in case they do more JSA characters, not that I can ever see that happening) but not at that price. What a joke. I do kinda regret not picking up the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold pack, but eh, I've got the Mattel versions, and I like them better. McFarlane couldn't even give them translucent visors and goggles.

I totally get it, but since Gambit is going to be buried somewhere in the back where I don't have to see him very often, I don't mind the pins ha He is pretty much my lowest priority X-Man. Well, I guess that would actually be Jubilee, or Bishop, as they only Jubilee I have is the Blue/Gold 3-pack version, and I don't have any Bishop at all. Did I mention that I have unresolved anger issues towards 90's X-Men comics?? :insane:

The Beetle and Booster are just good enough to buy, but still pale in comparison to what DC Direct gave us. You're absolutely right, the goggles are the biggest misstep. As figures they're fine, but just fine. They are pretty bland, not much detail. But since it's Beetle and Booster, I grabbed them at a Target sale some time ago. 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:08 AM, F For Fake said:

I totally get it, but since Gambit is going to be buried somewhere in the back where I don't have to see him very often, I don't mind the pins ha He is pretty much my lowest priority X-Man. Well, I guess that would actually be Jubilee, or Bishop, as they only Jubilee I have is the Blue/Gold 3-pack version, and I don't have any Bishop at all. Did I mention that I have unresolved anger issues towards 90's X-Men comics?? :insane:

The Beetle and Booster are just good enough to buy, but still pale in comparison to what DC Direct gave us. You're absolutely right, the goggles are the biggest misstep. As figures they're fine, but just fine. They are pretty bland, not much detail. But since it's Beetle and Booster, I grabbed them at a Target sale some time ago. 

Yeah, on sale = perfect. I'd buy them then, no problem. 

And hah, 90s' X-Men is my era. I'd be lost without it. Though weirdly I do prefer Cyclops' Cockrum costume over his Jim Lee. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:16 AM, Cat said:

Yeah, on sale = perfect. I'd buy them then, no problem. 

And hah, 90s' X-Men is my era. I'd be lost without it. Though weirdly I do prefer Cyclops' Cockrum costume over his Jim Lee. 

I was an 80's kid, so by the time the 90's stuff rolled around, I was moving on to other things. I had a subscription to X-Men, and when Jubilee showed up I was like "Eh", and then Gambit was "meh", and then Bishop made me finally drop the title. It had just gotten so convoluted by then, in my eyes Claremont had lost the road map. I dutifully bought all zillion covers of X-Men #1, but dropped that one after the 2nd issue. Age of Apocalypse eventually brought me back (and then I dropped it again, only to return with Grant Morrison). My sweet spot is Paul Smith through Mark Silvestri (though I definitely love Cockrum, and like Byrne, but I was reading them as reprints, rather than fresh off the stands.) 

Anyway, there's no wrong way to love the X-Men, and the good thing for you being a 90's guy is that there is no shortage of stuff to collect! 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:24 AM, F For Fake said:

I was an 80's kid, so by the time the 90's stuff rolled around, I was moving on to other things. I had a subscription to X-Men, and when Jubilee showed up I was like "Eh", and then Gambit was "meh", and then Bishop made me finally drop the title. It had just gotten so convoluted by then, in my eyes Claremont had lost the road map. I dutifully bought all zillion covers of X-Men #1, but dropped that one after the 2nd issue. Age of Apocalypse eventually brought me back (and then I dropped it again, only to return with Grant Morrison). My sweet spot is Paul Smith through Mark Silvestri (though I definitely love Cockrum, and like Byrne, but I was reading them as reprints, rather than fresh off the stands.) 

Anyway, there's no wrong way to love the X-Men, and the good thing for you being a 90's guy is that there is no shortage of stuff to collect! 

Yeah I'm definitely catered to, no complaints there. I've read all the 80's stuff, and I liked a lot of it, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90's, and it's events like Age Of Apocalypse (as you mentioned, I reckon it still holds up today) and Onslaught. I was later 90's, so the quality of the comics was all over the place. There was some good stuff, like Kelly and Seagles' unfortunately short runs, Joe Madureira on art, etc. All eras have their strong and weak points to me. I don't think any era is criticism proof. I do wish they'd focus on other eras though... after they give us a Cecilia Reyes and a Marrow. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:06 AM, F For Fake said:

Yes, the cape really is fantastic on the one I have, so I'd imagine they're all pretty spectacular. I have the Cyborg Superman and Steel in my Pile of Loot at BBTS, and those capes look amazing.

The main difference is that Batman Hush has a MUCH larger cloth wired cape than any other Mafex or Mezco figure I own.  I heard a lot of people complaining about posing that cape or getting it out of the way, although I love that aspect of it.  I have a few other Mafex Batman and Superman figures, and the cape I like best right now is the one that came with the Robert Pattinson version of Batman for "The Batman" film that came out in 2022.  It's a pleather cape that has a pleasing feel and aesthetic that I particularly enjoy, but I do like the Hush cape for cape-centric dramatic poses.

Not sure how many Mafex I have right now, but it's most of the Marvel ones, a few dozen of the DC characters, a few Star Wars figures, and a few miscellaneous pop culture figures like Terminator, Michael Jordan, and Homelander, somewhere around 60 to 90 total.  The only figure I have where the Mafex isn't the best known version of that character in 1:12 scale is possibly the tiger stripe Wolverine figure which coincidentally is being re-issued this month, although it's in such high demand that it's selling out as soon as anyone lists it.  Hasbro has done so well with Wolverine in the Marvel Legends line that theirs is almost as good and in many ways better than the Mafex, and their latest Wolverine '97 figure is probably better than the Mafex version.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/28/2024 at 9:17 AM, Cat said:

Oh cool. I'm not a huge fan of any of the Superman characters, though I did enjoy Connor in Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run, yet that Steel in particular was very tempting to me. It looks fantastic. I reckon you should have about as much fun with it as I'm having with Batman. Only reason I say 'about' is that all the scallops on Batmans' cape have their own wires, so you can REALLY pose that thing how you want, and Steel of course doesn't have an equivalent. I still think he'll be an S-tier figure though. Hope you enjoy them both! 

The best Superman to own from Mafex is also the best Superman ever released in 1:12 scale--the Superman Hush figure. The Dark Knight Returns version is sublime perfection as well if you're a fan of Frank Miller's version of the character.  Superman Hush is by far one of their best, and they've re-issued it three times already and it sells out instantly every time.  It's incredible.  Haven't photographed mine in a few years, but he's front and center in the pic below from 2021.  Had quite a few Mafex figures already by then in that pic, and I've bought dozens more since then.

Barely visible in this pic is the only vehicle Mafex ever made the first year they started making figures--it's the Batpod from The Dark Knight movie behind DKR Batman and Anne Hathaway Catwoman in the pic.  Really great vehicle, although it is a bit fragile if you're not careful with it.

AP1GczOY_GNoI-6K7tyhklJBf_i_NX9q9DXx9JXW

Edited by fantastic_four

I started buying Mafex in 2019, and the main thing that's changed since then is the fan base for them has grown by a LOT.  Used to be pretty easy to get them back then, but now the good ones sell out fast.  Tiger Stripe Wolverine that just re-released came out in 2019 and peg-warmed the virtual shelves for almost two years, but now people are falling over themselves to get it.  I'm guessing the fan base for Mafex is now 3x to 10x greater now than it was a few years ago.  It has its own subreddit now that I follow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafex/new/

Edited by fantastic_four

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-action-figures-1235838833/

429578586_10231628298793181_2473038826186079140_n.thumb.jpg.2def64e8bd4751b24854ca7254d76aa9.jpg

IMG_8885-copy.thumb.webp.2c2ea61435b438574c2e3e9fe5ebed60.webp

Screenshot(1).png.d8eff00e13555503447cb3d307c95af5.png

Screenshot(2).png.3163af5a4fe9d88c9e9cb5d67051acb1.png

For the first time in 27 years, Rob Liefeld‘s Extreme Universe is invading the real-world with a line of action figures. Figures of the Bloodstrike character Cabbot Stone as well as the intergalactic mercenary Bloodwulf will arrive in the third quarter of this year, the comic book creator announced.

Liefeld, best known for Marvel’s Deadpool, has teamed with LooseCollector, a collectibles company specializing in action figures and statues. In a statement, founder Dave Cardenas said he expects to expand into more Extreme Universe characters in 2025.

Edited by SpineTic

Already preordered them (seriously) even though I hate Bloodwulf, he's nothing but a Lobo rip-off. Still, they're a novelty. A shining beacon of the 90's excess? Sounds fun to me. I just wish we could have got Youngblood characters, they badly need an update, but alas, can't happen as Rob no longer owns them, so this'll have to do. 

20240301_155954.thumb.jpg.9ecd8b0e61003f32b46d6f671eeb4630.jpgSome Saturday morning fun coming up for me - unboxing NECA's Year of the Rabbit set. This includes a new Space Usagi sculpt and some thoughtful accessories true to the comics. One fun 'happy cartoon' head. Also fun are the 6 tokage lizards ... only 2 figures had that prior (plus MAYbe one SDCC exclusive). Finally I've always liked a good Samurai armor Usagi, since the original 1989 Playmates figure had him w/ armor. The 2013 TNMT line Samurai Usagi is great but this one is much more colorful w/ accessories that recall the 90s Leonardo Sewer Samurai figure.

Screenshot_20240224_071323_eBay.jpg.4fcab1bfd1fd933ed7c36415a8a133ce.jpg

Also awaiting a carded Usagi from the 2003 TMNT line in (what I believe is) 2005 packaging vs normal 2004 packaging. There's a few that seemed to fly under the radar recently- happy to add one to my collection. While the sculpt diverges from Usagi in the comics or in the show really, I like the swivel action and that Usagi can be set to finish the swipe in his iconic kill pose from the comics. This line also had a Battle Nexus Gennosuke "Gen" figure that fetches $200+ (UY's Rhino bounty hunter friend). A someday chase. One drawback - it's a challenge to find clamshells for the larger 2003-2005 cards so condition can be tricky. 

On 3/1/2024 at 10:41 PM, fantastic_four said:

LooseCollector does excellent work--great articulation, sculpt, and detailing.  I almost bought their recent Red Sonja figure that looks incredible.

510JjYqaCZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've preordered this. Looks amazing. 

On 3/1/2024 at 6:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

LooseCollector does excellent work--great articulation, sculpt, and detailing.  I almost bought their recent Red Sonja figure that looks incredible.

510JjYqaCZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am looking forward to the comparison between the LooseCollector version and the H.A.C.K.S version as they are in the same scale.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:19 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

One of the larger collections I've ever purchased arrived this evening. The three biggest pieces (Flagg, Defiant, Terrordrome) weren't even shipped...trying to sell them locally where they're at first simply due to the size. Regardless of that, I've obviously got plenty to do. Lol. All the parts for the vehicles are in Ziplocs and there wasn't even enough room for all the figures to be put on my desk for IDing (I do know a lot of them by sight). Fun times ahead this weekend! 😊😊😊 

IMG_20240301_000536.jpg

IMG_20240301_000543.jpg

IMG_20240301_000701.jpg

IMG_20240229_210418.jpg

IMG_20240229_220123.jpg

IMG_20240229_224835.jpg

Some great stuff in there!

On 3/7/2024 at 8:26 AM, F For Fake said:

Also, happy to say the MAFex Uncanny X-Force Deadpool and Wolvie slot in nicely with the ML Uncanny X-Force.

Marvel Legends doesn't do a true 1:12 scale; it's more like a 1:11.5 scale with the figures being a quarter to a half inch taller than the actual characters should be.  Medicom followed suit with Mafex, but Bandai went true 1:12 scale with their S.H. Figuarts line so those are usually too small compared to Legends.

Every once in a while Mafex figures are too small for larger heroes though.  Their Kirby Thor and first appearance Venom figures are too small for what they should be, but most others are great.  All of their Wolverines are also slightly tall and about a quarter-inch bigger than the Legends versions.

On 3/7/2024 at 9:23 AM, fantastic_four said:

Marvel Legends doesn't do a true 1:12 scale; it's more like a 1:11.5 scale with the figures being a quarter to a half inch taller than the actual characters should be.  Medicom followed suit with Mafex, but Bandai went true 1:12 scale with their S.H. Figuarts line so those are usually too small compared to Legends.

Every once in a while Mafex figures are too small for larger heroes though.  Their Kirby Thor and first appearance Venom figures are too small for what they should be, but most others are great.  All of their Wolverines are also slightly tall and about a quarter-inch bigger than the Legends versions.

Yes, I am generally staying away from mixing Mafex and ML, but the Uncanny X-Force guys worked out ok. Deadpool may be a little tall, but put him in the back row and it works ok. I was really bummed about the Mafex Thor, because he is a beautiful figure, but for scale purposes, he just wouldn't work. Even when he was on sale a week ago for $60, I couldn't do it, because he wouldn't fit with my displays, and I don't need an extra Thor just hanging out. So I'm sticking with the 80th Anniversary Thor for my Avengers for the time being.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:26 AM, F For Fake said:

Now that 20th Anniversary Cap is here, my Avengers feel rounded out. I still need a Black Knight, and maybe a Yellowjacket, and then I'll feel pretty much complete (barring the release of a Perez style Beast.) I've got the Giant Man Haslab ordered, and of course I'll get that Silver Age Wasp when she comes out, but I think those will go in a separate Silver Age style display. Oh, i guess that means I need a Wasp for this lineup as well, hrm. The blue one on the retro card would fit into this lineup pretty well, but I think she's gotten pricey.

Resisting the urge to pick up a Hellcat or Moondragon because ugh, who cares?

Also, happy to say the MAFex Uncanny X-Force Deadpool and Wolvie slot in nicely with the ML Uncanny X-Force. Now we just need a new Dark Archangel!

IMG_9035.JPG

IMG_9037.JPG

IMG_9039.JPG

IMG_9041.JPG

Can I come over to play? Mom said it was cool.