• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,376 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2024 at 10:42 PM, scumdolly said:

HA did the same for a Firefly, I think. Listed it as a 90 (or 95) while showing a clearly broken o-ring (the figure was dangling terribly). GI JOE and MOTU collectors are finally going to have to swallow that hard pill: it's been 40+ years since the toys were released, and both Hasbro and Mattel outsourced a long of their production to countries that took short cuts--and this is the end result.

I'm sure someone will eventually offer O-ring insurance.:banana:

On 2/12/2024 at 10:48 PM, grendel013 said:

I'm sure someone will eventually offer O-ring insurance.:banana:

hm

Saw in last couple days on Amazon.ca a listing for Retro Card Back Storm Shadow 6". Says out of stock but if you hit the add cart you can buy it and it ends up in your orders. $35.99+tax free ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f14e8f9251da497e25fa8643e7a6ce2.jpeg

On 2/11/2024 at 2:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ouch... So I do not believe that AFA would grade a figure as an 80 with a broken O-Ring so one can only assume that the O-Ring snapped post grading.  Costly break. 

This is why I say, do not buy graded MOC GI Joes or vehicles. 

I am curious to see how the auction ends though especially as it is offered side by side with an in tact sample graded at AFA 85.   Yes I know that the 85 would command more.  However there is a much wider than usual disparity between the two due to the broken o-ring.

AFA 80 Broken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-storm-shadow-broken-o-ring-cas-80-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88039.s?ic4

AFA 85 Unbroken

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/action-figures/gi-joe/gi-joe-cobra-storm-shadow-afa-85-hasbro-1984-/a/49157-88040.s

Close up to the broken figure. 

image.thumb.png.ad3c6d7be08956292ded32beeb35958a.png

Not necessarily directed at you as I don't know if you would know the answer, but do the MOC Mego Buck Rogers, Black Hole and Dukes of Hazzard figures have this kind of issue?

I'm not actively collecting them, but I do an occasional search for them just to get a nostalgic buzz.  I've never seen any with a busted o-ring on the card even though they have nearly the same type of construction and are just about as old.  I'm sure they will have the problem at some point.

On 2/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, Number 6 said:

Not necessarily directed at you as I don't know if you would know the answer, but do the MOC Mego Buck Rogers, Black Hole and Dukes of Hazzard figures have this kind of issue?

I'm not actively collecting them, but I do an occasional search for them just to get a nostalgic buzz.  I've never seen any with a busted o-ring on the card even though they have nearly the same type of construction and are just about as old.  I'm sure they will have the problem at some point.

You know, I just tried looking and could not find anything.  I would assume that there are numerous examples somewhere though.  The thing is that GI Joe had plenty more figures made and there are way more samples of carded broken figures to go by.   I would assume the problem could still exist either with the hook degrading over time or the band loosening and tearing. 

On 2/14/2024 at 9:41 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Just arrived! Thrilled to find the DC Direct, and of course had to add the Page Punchers:

IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.9d228737a0295b5e4758f8bf1177dec3.JPG\

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.6596730e63ffdcc6efbc1c5c8c72e151.JPG

awesome awesome awesome!!

I remember when that "4th print" was new to me, had missed picking it up at a DVD store, glad you got it! Good Eye :)

I see you're somewhat "taking it all out?" Does the comic still go for coin or are you going to grade it? Or is it more for the plastic crack? 

Congrats!

dark knight returns 1 4th print cgc for sale | eBay

@Jesse-Lee

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/14/2024 at 9:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

awesome awesome awesome!!

I remember when that "4th print" was new to me, had missed picking it up at a DVD store, glad you got it! Good Eye :)

I see you're somewhat "taking it all out?" Does the comic still go for coin or are you going to grade it? Or is it more for the plastic crack? 

Congrats!

dark knight returns 1 4th print cgc for sale | eBay

@Jesse-Lee

Thanks! These I'll probably keep in the box since they're still sealed, and I like the appeal of the full set in-box. This set hit some crazy heights a while back, but now there are some on eBay currently for around $100 (I won the auction on mine for $90). It originally retailed at $40, so I figured basically double for a sealed set from 2009 wasn't too bad, and now I have the 4th print, which is also great! But I think leaving it in-box is the way to go for me. And the Page Punchers are just $15 retail on Amazon for the 2-packs, so I'll keep this one with my Batman Page Puncher with the 608 reprint pack-in book.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Finally got around to assembling the NECA Ultimate The Thing Dog creature set. Beautifully sculpted, but man alive, like with many NECA products, a pain in the butt to assemble. I never thought I'd see the day when I basically had to have a hair dryer on hand whenever I got a new toy, but that seems to be the way it is. Still, gorgeous piece with lots of display options, so for the price I really can't complain. I like the nice cardboard backdrop of the kennel as well, nice inclusion. Hopefully they'll take a stab at the Norris and Blair Things in the future. I liked McFarlane's takes, especially at the time they were released, but they are now brittle and under-scaled, and could use the NECA touch. 

IMG_8449.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

IMG_8453.JPG

EE has some of the wave 2 GI Joe Ultimates for $22. I understand people balking at the $55 price tag on the Super 7 stuff, but for $22, these are a steal. If you like the Sunbow designs (which is my personal preference) then you can't miss with these big, chunky figures. Beautiful cartoon accurate sculpt and tons of accessories.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/s/?query1=gi+joe+ultimates

They also have most of the 2nd wave TF ultimates for $32, and the third wave for $41, which is well below the regular retail, and I think a very fair price for such nice, large figures. Grimlock is ENORMOUS and is a real deal at $32.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/s/?query1=transformers+ultimates

They did have a free shipping code going for orders over a certain threshold, I believe it was WINTER79, but you may want to double-check that.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:00 PM, Yorick said:

DANG that is disgusting!  :golfclap:

Ha! Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the film and the designs, but even while handling the toy I kinda felt like "eeeyuck!"

While I was talking that picture I figured I'd share what's right next to it. Custom animated Timm-style characters that were mostly unreleased by Mattel when they had the TNBA/STAS/JLU license. These were done by a friend of mine and he finally decided to part with them after several decades. I was happy to be able to purchase some. 😊

IMG_20240215_232739.jpg

Edited by Chip Cataldo

Since it does not look like I am buying comic books any time soon... 

I preordered these to go along with the Ghost when that eventually arrives.   I will probably keep the figures carded though on both the Ghost and the two pack, especially when those two figures were a combined $50.   Hasbro is getting ridiculous. 

image.thumb.png.ecf6cf60582ace304a08a44d16550a54.png

image.png

On 2/15/2024 at 2:00 PM, Yorick said:
On 2/15/2024 at 10:37 AM, F For Fake said:

the NECA Ultimate The Thing Dog creature set.

DANG that is disgusting!  :golfclap:

Yep.  I admire NECA's engineering and design, but man, I hate displaying grosso things like that.  Same with zombies...don't really want those in action figure form.  :eek:

On 2/15/2024 at 12:25 PM, whisp said:

Super 7 Ultimate Storm Shadow arrived today.  :)

image.thumb.jpeg.32cea81e6c467c0f640b8663b4280221.jpeg

Do you have the Hasbro Classified Series version?  I'm curious how they compare.

Hasbro has done SO well with the Classified Series that I've been wondering if Super7 can really do any better at double the price point.  Usually smaller toy companies can't manage the articulation range that Hasbro and Mattel often get, and that's particularly true with the Classified Series since it features some of the best articulation Hasbro has ever done across all lines.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:39 AM, fantastic_four said:

Yep.  I admire NECA's engineering and design, but man, I hate displaying grosso things like that.  Same with zombies...don't really want those in action figure form.  :eek:

Ha I get it. I'm mainly a horror guy, so I tend to have a lot of gross stuff around, but these are particularly gruesome, I'll admit!