• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,350 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, F For Fake said:

The Alien gaming library continues to grow! Sealed copies of Alien 3 don't show up often, on any of the platforms. It was released on so many...NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, Master System, Commodore...it was everywhere! I had the Genesis version myself as a teen. I always enjoyed this game, but I'm also one of six or seven people on the entire planet that love Alien 3. (Not nearly as much as the first two films, mind you, but I do love it.)

Anyway, a sealed SNES copy finally popped up that I could afford. There have been a couple of graded copies show up, but I'm not paying $800-$1k for a copy, as I truly do not care about graded video games. I just want sealed copies. This one has some wear, but overall it's fine, and the price was right. I grabbed a snazzy acrylic case, and it displays nicely. The hunt continues!

IMG_4746.JPG

Beauty!

On 2/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, F For Fake said:

The Alien gaming library continues to grow! Sealed copies of Alien 3 don't show up often, on any of the platforms. It was released on so many...NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, Master System, Commodore...it was everywhere! I had the Genesis version myself as a teen. I always enjoyed this game, but I'm also one of six or seven people on the entire planet that love Alien 3. (Not nearly as much as the first two films, mind you, but I do love it.)

Anyway, a sealed SNES copy finally popped up that I could afford. There have been a couple of graded copies show up, but I'm not paying $800-$1k for a copy, as I truly do not care about graded video games. I just want sealed copies. This one has some wear, but overall it's fine, and the price was right. I grabbed a snazzy acrylic case, and it displays nicely. The hunt continues!

IMG_4746.JPG

I haven't watched Alien 3 in years so I kind of forget most of it honestly, but I picked up the Alien Anthology blu set a while back that has all of them. According to the packaging, it has 2 cuts of Alien 3. Which cut is your preferred, the theatrical or the secondary one?

Also, I had the Genesis game as a kid, and liked it quite a bit. Great atmosphere with the graphics and soundtrack. The gameplay was kind of Metroidy. It was good. I never played the SNES version though. 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, profholt82 said:

I haven't watched Alien 3 in years so I kind of forget most of it honestly, but I picked up the Alien Anthology blu set a while back that has all of them. According to the packaging, it has 2 cuts of Alien 3. Which cut is your preferred, the theatrical or the secondary one?

Also, I had the Genesis game as a kid, and liked it quite a bit. Great atmosphere with the graphics and soundtrack. The gameplay was kind of Metroidy. It was good. I never played the SNES version though. 

On 2/18/2022 at 12:07 PM, The Meta said:

The original cut is the good one

The director hated his own film and his cut sucks

Regarding the preferred cut of Alien 3, I will have to respectfully disagree with @The Meta

For one, there really isn't a "Director's Cut" of Alien 3. There's a "Theatrical Cut", and an "Assembly Cut".

The entire production of Alien 3 was an ordeal. Stuck in development hell for years, numerous scripts, etc. A real mess. By the time Fincher was hired on and the film was in production, the studio reportedly interfered to such a degree that Fincher has refused to revisit the film since. So, you have the theatrical cut, which was hampered by studio-dictated edits, and you have an "Assembly Cut", which was the studio's effort to piece together a "director's cut" for home video, without the involvement of the actual director. Each has its pros and cons.

For the theatrical cut, the cons are that it's a bit of a mess. Plot lines are dropped without further explanation, characters disappear entirely; its choppy, and if you stop to think about it, doesn't make much linear sense. The pro? It's more or less a "finished film".

As for the Assembly Cut, those characters and storylines are put back into place, and the story, as a whole, makes more sense. However, the con in this case is that since Fincher wouldn't return to work on the release, and the studio wasn't going to put more money into it just for the sake of DVD, there are several effects sequences that aren't completed, so the movie occasionally has an unfinished, cheap quality. Particularly glaring is Ripley's finale, which in this version splits the difference between being artfully done, and also looking like a bad 80's music video.

So, there is no one right answer for me. I saw the theatrical version four times in the theater, because I'd been too young to see the first two on the big screen, so when I got my chance with Alien 3, I took full advantage. Also, I'd read the novelization a couple of times at that point, which filled in some of the story gaps (primarily the entire Golic storyline). So my nostalgia is for the theatrical version. But as an adult, when I watch Alien 3, I watch the Assembly Cut, because even with its flaws, it is a more coherent flim, and a better story over all.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, F For Fake said:

Regarding the preferred cut of Alien 3, I will have to respectfully disagree with @The Meta

For one, there really isn't a "Director's Cut" of Alien 3. There's a "Theatrical Cut", and an "Assembly Cut".

The entire production of Alien 3 was an ordeal. Stuck in development hell for years, numerous scripts, etc. A real mess. By the time Fincher was hired on and the film was in production, the studio reportedly interfered to such a degree that Fincher has refused to revisit the film since. So, you have the theatrical cut, which was hampered by studio-dictated edits, and you have an "Assembly Cut", which was the studio's effort to piece together a "director's cut" for home video, without the involvement of the actual director. Each has its pros and cons.

For the theatrical cut, the cons are that it's a bit of a mess. Plot lines are dropped without further explanation, characters disappear entirely; its choppy, and if you stop to think about it, doesn't make much linear sense. The pro? It's more or less a "finished film".

As for the Assembly Cut, those characters and storylines are put back into place, and the story, as a whole, makes more sense. However, the con in this case is that since Fincher wouldn't return to work on the release, and the studio wasn't going to put more money into it just for the sake of DVD, there are several effects sequences that aren't completed, so the movie occasionally has an unfinished, cheap quality. Particularly glaring is Ripley's finale, which in this version splits the difference between being artfully done, and also looking like a bad 80's music video.

So, there is no one right answer for me. I saw the theatrical version four times in the theater, because I'd been too young to see the first two on the big screen, so when I got my chance with Alien 3, I took full advantage. Also, I'd read the novelization a couple of times at that point, which filled in some of the story gaps (primarily the entire Golic storyline). So my nostalgia is for the theatrical version. But as an adult, when I watch Alien 3, I watch the Assembly Cut, because even with its flaws, it is a more coherent flim, and a better story over all.

Thanks for setting it straight. I have this bias against Fincher because in the documentaries I've seen, you can tell he is very unhappy with the film.

I also hated they changed the dog to a cow. I get it, I love dogs, but it was unnecessary pandering as to why they changed it

Edited by The Meta

On 2/18/2022 at 12:54 PM, F For Fake said:

So, there is no one right answer for me. I saw the theatrical version four times in the theater, because I'd been too young to see the first two on the big screen, so when I got my chance with Alien 3, I took full advantage.

That's a shame.  After Blade Runner came out, our local artsy theater, which only had one screen but had a stage and gargoyles on the wall, did a double feature of Blade Runner and Alien, and I went to see it with my mom.  I was 6 or 7 years old at the time.  So first off, she isn't really winning mom of the year in terms of content, but by the time the second movie rolled around I was falling asleep intermittently.  Still, one of my best memories ever, and Blade Runner is my favorite movie to this day, though I didn't care much for Alien at the time.

Then when Aliens came out I saw it several times in a row (same day) at the theater, as my friend's brother was in high school and had a part-time job at the local cineplex and would let us in for free, and after we got in we'd just stay the entire day.  That was the best movie any of us had seen to that point and probably stayed that way until Terminator 2 came out.  My gaming group started playing a roleplaying game called Bug Hunt just because of how awesome the movie was.

Then when Alien 3 came out we were old enough to go ourselves.  We only watched it the once, thought it was pure craparama and I didn't try it again until like 20 years later.

Now that I'm old, I have more appreciation for Alien 1--but Alien 3 is still... pretty rough.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 2/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, Poekaymon said:

That's a shame.  After Blade Runner came out, our local artsy theater, which only had one screen but had a stage and gargoyles on the wall, did a double feature of Blade Runner and Alien, and I went to see it with my mom.  I was 6 or 7 years old at the time.  So first off, she isn't really winning mom of the year in terms of content, but by the time the second movie rolled around I was falling asleep intermittently.  Still, one of my best memories ever, and Blade Runner is my favorite movie to this day, though I didn't care much for Alien at the time.

Then when Aliens came out I saw it several times in a row (same day) at the theater, as my friend's brother was in high school and had a part-time job at the local cineplex and would let us in for free, and after we got in we'd just stay the entire day.  That was the best movie any of us had seen to that point and probably stayed that way until Terminator 2 came out.  My gaming group started playing a roleplaying game called Bug Hunt just because of how awesome the movie was.

Then when Alien 3 came out we were old enough to go ourselves.  We only watched it the once, thought it was pure craparama and I didn't try it again until like 20 years later.

Now that I'm old, I have more appreciation for Alien 1--but Alien 3 is still... pretty rough.

I have fortunately had the opportunity to see Alien on the big screen a couple of times as an adult, but have actually never seen Aliens in a theater, which really is a shame. Also a shame is that these days, when Alien is playing in a theater, it’s usually the Director’s Cut, which I think is truly inferior to the theatrical version.

And as an admitted Alien 3 fan, I’ll be the first to admit that it is…not great. Especially in comparison with the first two, which are arguably the greatest sci-fi horror and sci-fi action films of all time, respectively. (I can see the arguments for Carpenter’s The Thing and Cameron’s T2 in those spots, and I do love those as well, but my heart belongs to Alien.)

Alien 3 is a mess. The effects do not blend at all (a hodgepodge of man-in-suit, rod puppets, and rudimentary CGI); it’s filled with a cast of interchangeable bald British characters; and of course, it needlessly, and unceremoniously, dispatches beloved characters from the previous film in the opening moments. It’s not scary like Alien, and it’s not exciting like Aliens. All arguments against Alien 3 are valid, for sure.

BUT, I do admire how relentlessly grim it is. Everything is so BROWN. It’s grimy. It’s beautiful in its ugliness. And it’s just so ugly and hopeless, it’s amazing it that was released as a big summer popcorn flick. Can’t think of many blockbusters that feature child autopsy complete bloody bone saws. Yeeesh.

Anyway tl/dr: totally understand why anyone would dislike Alien 3, would even agree with most of the reasons why. But I still love it, ugly, cynical, brown mess that it is.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

IMG_8958.thumb.jpg.470695cfc4e59ba93b1838151cf7b524.jpg

'Yeah thanks. You were great too. Look I totally forgot about it, but I've got this private thing on tonight. You know how it it. Yeah, one of those. But listen, as a consolation prize you can pick anything form the 3rd highest row or lower on your way out! '

If anyone has been collecting the Star Wars retro line, the Amazon Exclusive Dengar and IG-88 Two Pack is available now for preorder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K1TT386

They are individually carded but with the weapons, they are definitely cheap ways to have molds of the originals with new date stamps and NOT at the going rate for those originals. 

715f+RIQhzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg