• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,350 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, comicwiz said:

Great stuff. When I saw Cad Bane in the most recent episode, I kept seeinng the space version of Lee Van Cleef from The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

I think I mentioned that the fellow I got that 4up hardcopy of Green Goblin mentioned he had some Spider-Man preproduction from the '94 McDonalds food promotion. Well it turned out that in mid-Oct he began posting some of the stuff for sale, even though he told me he'd contact me when he found them. In fairness, he did say he forgot. And thankfully one of my FB friends tagged me as soon as some of the stuff went up for sale. What he had just blew me away. What I found most interesting apart from the two binders filled with documents between the agency working on developing these toys and Marvel was the changes they made to the Venom and Hobgoblin vehicles. It's not only in document/conceptual form, but also 3D differences in the harcopies. Some of them seemingly combining some hardcopy with wax finishes. The pumpkins for Hobgoblins vehicle show at least 5 different variations of wings, and it's all tracked in the 3D representations and the paperwork. I'll admit, the binders were something I was not expecting to ever see, and it just adds an entirely different dimension to the archive. 

Spidey-McD.thumb.jpg.a372e043ab130c28b3bb2c0e8c0c5fb6.jpg

Spidey-McD2.thumb.jpg.bcf5e78c281ad226d200c9fbbddd3547.jpg

Spidey-McD3.thumb.jpg.eb64c1539c75a9cef12004c9414f4793.jpg

Spidey-McD4.thumb.jpg.05828a690802d347172dee2f2528fe99.jpg

Spidey-McD5.thumb.jpg.accebece1a236cff902ba27ea1eaa353.jpg

Spidey-McD6.thumb.jpg.d27df1e7812e3e0704d2f7139d449192.jpg

Spidey-McD7.thumb.jpg.ca36cbed5a496ea1ca2284b8df8e7378.jpg

Spidey-McD8.thumb.jpg.495f9ce15a5ba6602b35640da7a4e462.jpg

Spidey-McD10.thumb.jpg.d14b7fdade1b087a9a38574239f53d33.jpg

Spidey-McD9.thumb.jpg.c4ed1d8aa38fc1d8bd8e2b788cf8cd64.jpg

Venom.jpg.d8505ef3e7a819c0074019ac9a838ccf.jpg

Spidey-McD11.thumb.jpg.29d0f98057a434aa98b1df6d2cdc98ba.jpg

Spidey-McD12.thumb.jpg.05371799ea9b300203696158e611693a.jpg

Spidey-McD13.thumb.jpg.6ff9fc63afda950d67d30e4422a24d65.jpg

Spidey-McD14.thumb.jpg.e1610afd4467debba6bbfb809aa46466.jpg

I'd love to be able to locate even just the Spider-Man figure some day, but even if I don't, I feel pretty fortunate to have assembled as much of this run as I have to date. 

Just before the holidays I saw a slew of posts in the Mego FB groups by someone about a 2 hour drive from me who was selling off some amazing Megos and just had to have this French Spider-Man:

French-Spidey.thumb.jpg.86442082c7c16ead5f00686e5465656d.jpg

And last but not least a guilyt pleasure. The MEGO pocket heroes Hulk is probably one of my favourite Marvel Superheroes sculpt from the entire line, including the 8" and 12" figures. They capture everything I love about the Hulk from this nostalgic time period in this cool like 4" form. 

Hulk-PH.jpg.3b26d547fe57791d8821aec281a2c353.jpg

Wow!!!!! Very nice!!!!! 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Finally getting around to finishing up some Joe projects. Got the Storm and Snake Eyes o-ring pack in. I almost got a glider but it was just too far of a drive. My buddy was at least able to rescue it though.

46F25239-85A7-4804-B62B-14D624E1108F.jpeg

D9B16087-890F-4149-A5D0-E2698A772A6C.jpeg

E3FDE0CB-A0DA-41E7-8E23-27A4439D8AFE.png

31C363DD-7761-49EF-BB8E-98BDAEA1C256.jpeg

C663357B-0433-40E1-B551-B2B7744C89DD.jpeg

I sure do want a Ferret for my collection.  Nice pics. 

What is the SS vs SE?  I keep seeing it elsewhere. 

Patrick

On 2/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, followtheleader said:

I sure do want a Ferret for my collection.  Nice pics. 

What is the SS vs SE?  I keep seeing it elsewhere. 

Patrick

It's the first two figures of the Hasbro Pulse exclusive o-ring line.

I thought they were straight recasts from the original molds but they seem to be modded from the originals or are straight recasts of later mods from the molds.  (If that makes any sense because I am trying to make sense of what I just wrote.)

I watched a few reviews and the figures seem to be sturdier.  They use an o-ring that is made of silicon rather than rubber like the originals.  

Most importantly the plastic seems to be of a sturdier design so the crotch pieces and thumbs are less likely to break and the elbows will not suffer cracks from the strain of the rivets on the joints. 

After seeing the reviews, despite me swearing off o-rings, I even ordered a pack when they came back up for preorder. 

https://hasbropulse.com/products/g-i-joe-retro-collection-snake-eyes-storm-shadow

On 2/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Just got in my repro Mego box for my 1978 12 inch Spiderman and I'm very happy with the result. I was thinking about buying a mini AF15 to put in Spidey's hand so that might be the last touch before displaying him on my desk. 

20220205_105359.jpg

Maybe a custom made acrylic box. 

Although, that would probably fit in the ones that they make for 12" Vintage SW.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, Buzzetta said:

It's the first two figures of the Hasbro Pulse exclusive o-ring line.

I thought they were straight recasts from the original molds but they seem to be modded from the originals or are straight recasts of later mods from the molds.  (If that makes any sense because I am trying to make sense of what I just wrote.)

I watched a few reviews and the figures seem to be sturdier.  They use an o-ring that is made of silicon rather than rubber like the originals.  

Most importantly the plastic seems to be of a sturdier design so the crotch pieces and thumbs are less likely to break and the elbows will not suffer cracks from the strain of the rivets on the joints. 

After seeing the reviews, despite me swearing off o-rings, I even ordered a pack when they came back up for preorder. 

https://hasbropulse.com/products/g-i-joe-retro-collection-snake-eyes-storm-shadow

Thanks, I wasn't aware they had released new o-rings.  

I thought the Black Major stuff was okay because of Hasbro being done with o-ring tech.  Does that change?  Guess it's too late for that. 

Patrick 

On 2/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, profholt82 said:

Recently picked up a new Optimus and Snake Eyes. Adding a little whimsy to the man cave. 

20220206-130856.jpg

Big Gun by Nine Inch Nails would be a good theme lol 

Got a new lot of goodies from BBTS, and this one didn't take over 5 and 1/2 months. It had the new Masterpiece Thundercracker, Generations Selects Ramjet, Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat Kung Lao (been looking forward to this one too), Marvel Legends Modular Iron Man (fantastic looking figure, nice update of the old Toy Biz Face-Off version) and FF Retro Mr Fantastic (disappointed in this one, I expected greatness, and it's only mediocre), along with an Injustice Dr Fate, He-Man Revelations Man-At-Arms (I always try yo get the MAA), and lastly the 4inch retro style Cyclops. Nice enough looking figure, if a bit below what I'd expect in 2022, but the packaging makes it. So yeah, I'm a dumbarse for paying for the packaging. 

Out of all the Lego, Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe and nonsense that I sold off last year, for some reason, Studio Series Jazz was the one thing I regretted.  As soon as I wrapped him up I regretted it.  Then I saw the upgrade kit.

Let's see, bought it last year for $22.99 + Tax

Sold it for $15 loose

Regretted it and a few months later bought it again for $22.99 + Tax

Bought the upgrade kit for $8 shipped.  (Numbers are for your benefit to my rash decision I do not want to know.   However, I generated a LOT more with what I sold... so.... not that bad.)

The pieces fill the gaps on the arms and the legs.  The leg fillers do not have to come out and are seemless when transformed.  The arm gaps are part formers in a way.  They peg into the forearm gaps to fill in the space in robot mode.  In car mode they have a handle and slot into the fist to then convert with the fist when it retracts into the arm.  Again, seamless in robot mode. 

They slot in so well that I left the forearm pieces slightly "out" so they stand out in the pics.  

Once again, I am very pleased with the aftermarket third party stuff.   I might buy the rocket launders from the other guy now. 

IMG_8341.jpeg

IMG_8344.jpeg

IMG_8340.jpeg

IMG_8343.jpeg

IMG_8342.jpeg

IMG_8345.jpeg

On 2/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, comicwiz said:

Great stuff. When I saw Cad Bane in the most recent episode, I kept seeinng the space version of Lee Van Cleef from The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

I think I mentioned that the fellow I got the 4up hardcopy's of Green Goblin told me back then he had some Spider-Man preproduction from the '94 McDonalds food promotion. Well it turned out that in mid-Oct he began posting some of the stuff for sale, even though he told me he'd contact me when he found them. In fairness, he did say he forgot and I believe him. I've dealt with him numerous times and the guy goes the extra mile to pack everything so carefully. And thankfully one of my FB friends tagged me as soon as some of the stuff went up for sale because I had thought about taking a break from FB around that time, and would have been devestated if I missed out on these. What he had just blew me away. It's been a couple of months now, and looking over these pics still is hard to believe I added this to my run.

What I found most interesting apart from the two binders filled to the gills with documents between the agency working on developing these toys and Marvel was the changes they made to the Venom and Hobgoblin vehicles. It's not only in document/conceptual form, but also 3D differences in the hardcopies. Some of them seemingly combining hardcopy with wax finishes. The pumpkins for Hobgoblins vehicle show at least 5 different variations of wings, and it's all tracked in the 3D representations and the paperwork. Some of the early concepts would have been cool if they had gone with them, particularly the pumpkins grafted onto the Hobgoblins wings, but I can also better understand why they went the direction they did because of how it's all documented. I've included just a handful of the paperwork below. I'll admit, the binders were something I was not expecting to ever see, and I am super-thankful someone took the time to organize it, protect it in sleeves, and most of all that it survived. It just adds an entirely different dimension to this archive. 

Spidey-McD.thumb.jpg.a372e043ab130c28b3bb2c0e8c0c5fb6.jpg

love to be able to locate even just the Spider-Man figure from this promotion some day, would be great if I could find the different stages. The other characters would be cool aas well, but even if it doesn't pan out, I feel pretty fortunate to have assembled as much of this run as I have to date. 

Just before the holidays I saw a slew of posts in the Mego FB groups by someone about a 2 hour drive from me who was selling off some amazing Megos and just had to have this French Spider-Man:

And last but not least a guilty pleasure. The MEGO pocket heroes Hulk is probably one of my favourite Marvel Superheroes sculpt from the entire line, including the 8" and 12" figures. They captured everything I love about the Hulk from this nostalgic time period in this cool 4" figural form. 

I always get a big kick out of your posts, just the coolest stuff!

On 2/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, Buzzetta said:

Out of all the Lego, Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe and nonsense that I sold off last year, for some reason, Studio Series Jazz was the one thing I regretted.  As soon as I wrapped him up I regretted it.  Then I saw the upgrade kit.

Let's see, bought it last year for $22.99 + Tax

Sold it for $15 loose

Regretted it and a few months later bought it again for $22.99 + Tax

Bought the upgrade kit for $8 shipped.  (Numbers are for your benefit to my rash decision I do not want to know.   However, I generated a LOT more with what I sold... so.... not that bad.)

The pieces fill the gaps on the arms and the legs.  The leg fillers do not have to come out and are seemless when transformed.  The arm gaps are part formers in a way.  They peg into the forearm gaps to fill in the space in robot mode.  In car mode they have a handle and slot into the fist to then convert with the fist when it retracts into the arm.  Again, seamless in robot mode. 

They slot in so well that I left the forearm pieces slightly "out" so they stand out in the pics.  

Once again, I am very pleased with the aftermarket third party stuff.   I might buy the rocket launders from the other guy now. 

IMG_8341.jpeg

IMG_8344.jpeg

IMG_8340.jpeg

IMG_8343.jpeg

IMG_8342.jpeg

IMG_8345.jpeg

Looks great, Buzz! They do some swell stuff with those aftermarket kits. I thing Jazz was one of the nicer from the SS set for sure. Like you, I sold mine off, as there was a small window where he'd sold out at most spots and the price was popping a bit, but I knew restocks were on the way. I haven't picked up another yet, so I need to get on that!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:29 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Finally getting around to finishing up some Joe projects. Got the Storm and Snake Eyes o-ring pack in. I almost got a glider but it was just too far of a drive. My buddy was at least able to rescue it though.

46F25239-85A7-4804-B62B-14D624E1108F.jpeg

D9B16087-890F-4149-A5D0-E2698A772A6C.jpeg

E3FDE0CB-A0DA-41E7-8E23-27A4439D8AFE.png

31C363DD-7761-49EF-BB8E-98BDAEA1C256.jpeg

C663357B-0433-40E1-B551-B2B7744C89DD.jpeg

Man, I love the Razorback as a kid, and all of the Iron Grenadiers stuff, really. I loved Wild Boar as well. I wasn't sure why he had a helmet attached to his hand with a tube, but in my canon, he was able to send mental powers to his fist that gave him a superhero punch! Yeah, I know, never claimed to be the brightest kid...

My Pulse O-ring two pack should be here any minute. I think I'll leave them carded/boxed, but it has been fun to see people opening them up on FB. I've seen at least two posts now where the nunchucks have broken in half, so everyone should exercise caution if they're opening these!

Great that your buddy got the glider. My best friend, the Joe collector, only needed the gliders to finish his collection. He got the Joe glider from the family of a friend of a friend, who were taking their son's Joe stuff out to be thrown away. And there was an intact glider in there with the junk! madness! Meanwhile, on the flipside, I helped him locate a complete Viper glider through a local contact, but he had to pay considerably more for that one ha They're so cool, but so fragile!