• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,349 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 4:08 PM, comicwiz said:

The front one comes down like a lever, the back two straight downward. Those back two you want to pull carefully, otherwise you could cause the clips on opposite ends of each to break or lose their elasticity and grab at the right point on the mechanism to keep the back end propped up.

landing-gear.thumb.jpg.b3a13c098c247615511e03f4c9960419.jpg\

I got mine in a diaorama, and my boxed ones in storage, so I nabbed these pics from Google to show the difference in how they open. Again, back two come straight down, front swings down.

If you take a wooden skewer or toothpick (should be strong), try to see if you can get enough of it down so you can grab it better with your hands.

falcon-open-landing.jpg.1e38e99a7db63565ab497debc69c73c8.jpg

If it really doesn't want to, then there's a chance there's something in there obstructing the mechanism from working correctly. I'd leave it alone if you can't get enough play to bring it down like in the second picture. But it could also be the part where it holds and swings from might have swelled a bit, hard to say, depending on where it was stored.

The back legs are no problem, but the front meets heavy resistance at this point....

371DB7A6-E51A-4F0E-988B-453C94C8B06A.thumb.jpeg.6713cda6090da4017489a9e9e6e4d8d0.jpeg

On 3/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The back legs are no problem, but the front meets heavy resistance at this point....

Mine's the same way.

Half of the bottom of the front landing gear on my original one from the 80s actually broke off.  I don't think it broke from being stuck like that, though.  I'm pretty sure it just came in for a hard landing once.  (Unfortunately, I can't mess around with it to find out one way or the other, because that Falcon magically disappeared one summer when my cousin from another state went back home following a weeklong visit. hm)

I bought another Falcon about ten years ago, and its front landing gear is also very tight like yours.  I just put it back up to check again, and it definitely feels like it's the hinge, itself, not the landing gear catching on the lip of the opening.  Brute force got it open again with a very loud, very scary noise, but it seems fine.  :shiftyeyes:  I'm definitely just going to keep it down now, though.  That was unnerving.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

For fun, here’s a pic of it when it was new 

FF625348-3EB9-40BD-A938-90DF4E708434.jpeg.f10fc12d6cf1b55d19994cf72e6e2fcb.jpeg

And I do have 3  figures left 

844D8F2F-F136-4821-AC28-B39BA616125B.jpeg.a6ed7c95eaa11b418a6772fc34c86889.jpeg

Does it look off alignment? Like it's hinged on a different spot than it should be, causing it not to open? If If you start to see the plastic move/reshape/malform trying to force against the resistance, it would probably mean the hinges are off alignment some way or there's some obstruction. Probably best to leave it.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Mine's the same way.

Half of the bottom of the front landing gear on my original one from the 80s actually broke off.  I don't think it broke from being stuck like that, though.  I'm pretty sure it just came in for a hard landing once.  (Unfortunately, I can't mess around with it to find out one way or the other, because that Falcon magically disappeared one summer when my cousin from another state went back home following a weeklong visit. hm)

I bought another Falcon about ten years ago, and its front landing gear is also very tight like yours.  I just put it back up to check again, and it definitely feels like it's the hinge, itself, not the landing gear catching on the lip of the opening.  Brute force got it open again with a very loud, very scary noise, but it seems fine.  :shiftyeyes:  I'm definitely just going to keep it down now, though.  That was unnerving.

I can’t risk breaking it now after having preserved it for 45 years 

On 3/27/2023 at 5:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I can’t risk breaking it now after having preserved it for 45 years 

I don't blame you.  I was afraid I had just broken mine, but it seems fine.  That was scary, and I'm never doing it again.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Brute force got it open again with a very loud, very scary noise, but it seems fine.

The hinge was likely off alignment. Sometimes, if it gets knocked the wrong way, it slides out, so unfolding it like that can sometimes seat it back in place with excessive force, because one of the hinges in place can guide the second one to reseat.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

844D8F2F-F136-4821-AC28-B39BA616125B.jpeg.a6ed7c95eaa11b418a6772fc34c86889.jpeg

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, and you're thinking those three need some company, let me know. I've got a few loose without weapons and a few carrying cases that won't break the bank. Or bring comics for trade or some cash with ya, I've got tonnage.

That reminds me to ask, that I have a light Saber that I left the batteries in I think, but I can't get it to twist open for the life of me lol

I tried YouTube, manufacturing videos, pliers. :pullhair:

Idk, but also have a statue of Raiden that lights up the hand and eyes, that I'm sure I took the batteries out of thank God. Those are the few things that I've bought my self that feel still "perishable", idk.

Spoiler

3755986_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Unfortunately I left the batteries in. :tonofbricks:

63B18503-6B32-4655-B8F9-C3C4DBA676DA.thumb.jpeg.88f7705d38e0296e97e9fc3c1bd8f816.jpeg

It happens. That terminal on the door should clean up. Get anything that looks like acid out. If the terminals inside are ok, just a little patinated with no breakdown like the terminal on the door, you should be fine. If they are also like the one on the door, then you'll need to check out some videos on YouTube to see how to get that cleaned-up. Hopefully battery acid didn't reach wiring.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:43 PM, comicwiz said:

It happens. That terminal on the door should clean up. Get anything that looks like acid out. If the terminals inside are ok, just a little patinated with no breakdown like the terminal on the door, you should be fine. If they are also like the one on the door, then you'll need to check out some videos on YouTube to see how to get that cleaned-up. Hopefully battery acid didn't reach wiring.

I’ll grab some batteries and work on getting it to fire up :wishluck:

On 3/27/2023 at 5:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That reminds me to ask, that I have a light Saber that I left the batteries in I think, but I can't get it to twist open for the life of me lol

Idk, but also have a statue of Raiden that lights up the hand and eyes, that I'm sure I took the batteries out of thank God. Those are the few things that I've bought my self that feel still "perishable", idk.

Reveal hidden contents

3755986_Full_Rev.jpg

I've seen this kind of thing happen over the winter months on some high end metal detectors, so don't beat yourself up.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Unfortunately I left the batteries in. :tonofbricks:

63B18503-6B32-4655-B8F9-C3C4DBA676DA.thumb.jpeg.88f7705d38e0296e97e9fc3c1bd8f816.jpeg

I rarely had batteries in mine when I was a kid, so I always used that as a "smuggling compartment."  (Yes, I was and am a dork.)

Also, I can't be the only person who often had a Jawa tucked away in the X-Wing's battery compartment, right...?  :whistle:

On 3/28/2023 at 7:33 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hide contents

3755986_Full_Rev.jpg

Nice statue! 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:23 PM, Cat said:

Nice statue! 

Thanks! I even went more out on a limb because it is cloth covering the statue lol

There looks to be some dust, but it is kept behind a glass cabinet and the cloth hasn't yellowed!!