• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
21 21

4,496 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, paqart said:

About 2 months ago I bought a 16 issue run of Avengers from around 190-210, including #196. Inside, a Mark's Jeweler's ad. 3 others from the group also had the ads.

Av196-01.jpg

That's so cool! 

This might fit better with the bronze age forum, there is a Mark jewelers thread, but congrats on the pick ups! Still perhaps rarish in the wild  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/5/2022 at 7:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's so cool! 

This might fit better with the bronze age forum, there is a Mark jewelers thread, but congrats on the pick ups! Still perhaps radish in the wild  :cheers:

I figured, these MJ ads are very hard to find anywhere, so they fit here. The owner of my LCS said that he's only seen one MJ comic in the last 12 years of looking, and he has about 140,000 issues of back stock.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:51 PM, paqart said:

About 2 months ago I bought a 16 issue run of Avengers from around 190-210, including #196. Inside, a Mark's Jeweler's ad. 3 others from the group also had the ads.

Av196-01.jpg

Nice find(s)!
I recently had a local shop start to sell some books for pretty cheap, so I picked up a few on a whim.  When I brought them home, 2 or 3 of the 20-book lot I bought turned out to have MJ ads in them!  If they weren't all bagged, I'd have gone back and tore through all 8 longboxes looking for more MJ editions!  :D

On 10/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, djzombi said:

Nice find(s)!
I recently had a local shop start to sell some books for pretty cheap, so I picked up a few on a whim.  When I brought them home, 2 or 3 of the 20-book lot I bought turned out to have MJ ads in them!  If they weren't all bagged, I'd have gone back and tore through all 8 longboxes looking for more MJ editions!  :D

Yep, this was like that for me too. In my case, all of the comics I bought that could have an MJ insert, had it. He was also selling about 150 other comics I was interested in but his prices kept me from jumping at them. If I'd known about these inserts, I would have bought more, assuming they also had the inserts, and I think many probably did because they were all from a single source collection and the majority were from the period that had the inserts. In this case, I felt that $90 was a good price for 16 comics that included Avengers 196. To get the rest would have cost over $1,000.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:11 PM, paqart said:

I figured, these MJ ads are very hard to find anywhere, so they fit here. The owner of my LCS said that he's only seen one MJ comic in the last 12 years of looking, and he has about 140,000 issues of back stock.

Back in my convention vendor days my partner bought a small pile of Claremont/Byrne-era X-men books. When he showed them to me I found that some of them had MJ ads and I explained that some people consider copies with the ads to be variants (and very rare ones at that). A neighboring vendor who was eavesdropping on our conversation said “Really? Any time I find a comic with one of those ads I rip it out because it makes it weigh a little more.” :facepalm:

image.png.a21032b7065f4b36a412cb2ff81d5c87.png

Anyone reading or collecting moderns has probably seen Nate Piekos's work. He's the letterer on a lot of books from just about every publisher, and is the creator-owner of the font and typography company BlamBot. He was also the writer and illustrator of the webcomic Realm of Atland. In 2004, Piekos was one of a group of webcomic creators who pooled resources to become small-press non-web comic creators under the PV Comics banner, and in 2005 Atland launched as a physical book. Eventually, the whole PV Comics thing didn't work out, and Piekos published later issues directly under the BlamBot name. All told, it ran (I think) 11 issues, and the first few actually went to second printings. In the years since then, with Piekos focusing his time on BlamBot, the webcomic itself has fallen offline as well.

None of the PV Comics titles are particularly plentiful, nor -- so far as I know -- does anyone actually collect any of them. But I was fond of Realm of Atland during its 8-ish year run (plus a brief revival circa 2015), so was happy to pick up this pretty nice copy of Atland #2.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, paqart said:

They are tough find, but are easier near older military bases if memory serves me correctly. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:22 PM, littledoom said:

Found it! Final issue! 

12C1EBDC-4015-4044-8525-4F9A739EAD5D.thumb.jpeg.02c89a5689a64be025a03b0d44aad7bc.jpeg

Sweet. I landed a run of 1-7 in a collection this summer. Are any of the other issues harder to find as well?

On 10/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, littledoom said:

I’ve never found this in person. Only been able to get this rare 3rd print sketch variant via eBay 

D6235DF8-9DE3-46D7-A771-01E1BED4600C.thumb.jpeg.89940d02935b81b8c39c9d4cedc99bdb.jpeg

I missed that book when it came out on the shelves and have also never seen them in the wild to my knowledge.  If I have, it was probably not in good enough shape to consider buying.