• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

No problem with having a female Doctor.

My GP is a lady, and she's great.

Some ridiculous comments online about the choice.

Give her a chance.

I can see the stockbroker belt down south being appalled by the decision and deserting the programme in droves, something like...

'Absolutely outrageous!  Not only is she a woman, but we've also learned that she was born in Yorkshire!  She's a northerner, as well!'

That's about 40 miles away from where I live.  So, works for me on every level.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 17/07/2017 at 3:46 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I can see the stockbroker belt down south being appalled by the decision and deserting the programme in droves, something like...

'Absolutely outrageous!  Not only is she a woman, but we've also learned that she was born in Yorkshire!  She's a northerner, as well!'

That's about 40 miles away from where I live.  So, works for me on every level.

I'm just annoyed it wasn't me Ken :frown:

On 08/07/2017 at 0:31 PM, Marwood & I said:

Another trip to the loft and I find that I once appear to have had leanings towards taking over as the next Doctor Who:

ch6.thumb.jpg.afa2b7c47afe351d00f4a49fce61c0a5.jpg

That's me in full Colin Baker mode. Now I think of it, I remember buying a replica of the little cat brooch that Baker II wore on his coat. I wore it equally proudly to school on my coat and then, later, inexplicably, to work. Looking back, this may have been one of the reasons I never got off with Laura Pavitt hm

On 7/16/2017 at 10:39 AM, Comicopolis said:

:applause:

I can hear male tears gushing all over the world.

The Doctor has a long history of not using a to resolve issues across time and space, and I'm confident that Jodie Whittaker will have no issues in continuing that fine tradition.

I'm fine with Jodie Whittaker being the Doctor. Yes it is a major change and I do not look at it like it was a PC move. We have had over 50 years with the Doctor being a white male. It's time for some change and new storylines to keep the show fresh.

9 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The Doctor has a long history of not using a to resolve issues across time and space, and I'm confident that Jodie Whittaker will have no issues in continuing that fine tradition.

I'm fine with Jodie Whittaker being the Doctor. Yes it is a major change and I do not look at it like it was a PC move. We have had over 50 years with the Doctor being a white male. It's time for some change and new storylines to keep the show fresh.

Exactly.

I'm late to the game but I started the recent season last night and it is definitely a change for the better.  Reminds me of Doctor Who episodes of old - little scary, crisp story telling with a bunch of British humor.  I'll probably finish the season over the next week and I'll come back and read this thread since I've stayed away to avoid spoilers.

I found this today while rooting through old files:

dwc.thumb.jpg.17e5106fcd1bedb7244489736c708b19.jpg

Did anyone else go? 1983.... I think this may have been the first Dr Who convention. I have some photos somewhere. One of me in the Tardis and one of Jon Pertwee arriving. He was an imposing chap. One enduring memory was the memorabilia tent. Oceans of Who stuff and I wanted to buy all of it of course. Happy days. You forget so much don't you. I've read every Target book at least twice - had the whole lot of them. I had a full set of DW Weekly / Monthly, videos, all the annuals. It was a big thing for me as a kid and teenager. I've seen every episode since Pertwee and really got into it with the Davison era. I remember putting on a play at school with my best mate which was a Dr Who / Michael Jackson fusion piece. Don't ask. I played the Doc of course, and spouted many of his best lines much to the bemusement of the crowd. Inverse ratio between the size of the brain and the mouth, jellybabies, you get the general idea. How we wove Thriller into it (remember when Michael Jackson's hair caught fire?) I'll never know, but I got my first girlfriend as a result so 'Who' cares.

I also found this in the garage whilst sorting comics:

20170807_151716.thumb.jpg.197844954561573d10c832f322c1b45a.jpg

I made it myself as a teenager over many long weeks one summer holiday. Wooden frame, layered cardboard covering and a blue pen colour wash. It's surprisingly accurate and has lasted well for a 30 plus year old creation. 

Does anyone remember 'Fan Aid' ? Not exactly up to Geldof's standards but I contributed a piece of art:

59888418cf3db_fa1(2).thumb.jpg.760460e2d8ea1d2dc6ff5cb57c812480.jpg

5988841b6bca6_fa2(2).thumb.jpg.783a670c1b13f69cd16b3564106391df.jpg

And here's my favourite piece from the DWB days (I put some of it in the 'Show us your personal artwork' thread if you're interested):

7.thumb.jpg.c8899c611067cfe91cb89d0a5ca048ce.jpg

59888491e19ad_dwb7me(2).thumb.jpg.b1f02e67a7d08b8d69d237b0617211e8.jpg

DWB was probably what got me hooked on Dr Who from a serious perspective. Back in the day, it wasn't just a show. It was life or death. I'll always be grateful for that day in 83 when I picked this up from Forbidden Planet for 45p:

59888506212f7_DWB1(2).thumb.jpg.ce76a1ade8ce125f2fead344d7621935.jpg

Here's a few of my letters - they give you a flavour of how seriously I took it (Don't blame Peter! I didn't like it when Colin Baker's first words were "Change my dear. And not a moment too soon":

5988856387057_DWB2MyLetter(3).jpg.b3addbb43fc28ef143d852c5a685cf79.jpg      598885677b370_dwb3me(2).thumb.jpg.e6c773b072a72739e5b8a2b6b3402d21.jpg

Anyway, I'm still a fan now to this day and still take it a little more seriously than I should. As long as the next Doctor isn't a woman I'll be watching for another 30 years. Oh, wait. What? They haven't?

Have they?

:wink:

13 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I made it myself as a teenager over many long weeks one summer holiday. Wooden frame, layered cardboard covering and a blue pen colour wash. It's surprisingly accurate and has lasted well for a 30 plus year old creation. 

That's way better than some of my TARDIS creations. I still remember how high I would get from the blue spray paint.

I'll have look for some pictures.

I was mainly a role player in public (see first page of this thread) on a similar Dr. Who budget (my sonic screwdriver was a tire pressure gauge.) lol 

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

That's way better than some of my TARDIS creations. I still remember how high I would get from the blue spray paint.

I'll have look for some pictures.

I was mainly a role player in public (see first page of this thread) on a similar Dr. Who budget (my sonic screwdriver was a tire pressure gauge.) lol 

Ha! Dig them out. We've got to see them. 

And now you say it, a tyre pressure gauge practically is a sonic screwdriver! :applause:

On 8/7/2017 at 4:28 PM, Marwood & I said:

I found this today while rooting through old files:

dwc.thumb.jpg.17e5106fcd1bedb7244489736c708b19.jpg

Did anyone else go? 1983.... I think this may have been the first Dr Who convention. I have some photos somewhere. One of me in the Tardis and one of Jon Pertwee arriving. He was an imposing chap. One enduring memory was the memorabilia tent. Oceans of Who stuff and I wanted to buy all of it of course. Happy days. You forget so much don't you. I've read every Target book at least twice - had the whole lot of them. I had a full set of DW Weekly / Monthly, videos, all the annuals. It was a big thing for me as a kid and teenager. I've seen every episode since Pertwee and really got into it with the Davison era. I remember putting on a play at school with my best mate which was a Dr Who / Michael Jackson fusion piece. Don't ask. I played the Doc of course, and spouted many of his best lines much to the bemusement of the crowd. Inverse ratio between the size of the brain and the mouth, jellybabies, you get the general idea. How we wove Thriller into it (remember when Michael Jackson's hair caught fire?) I'll never know, but I got my first girlfriend as a result so 'Who' cares.

Does anyone remember 'Fan Aid' ? Not exactly up to Geldof's standards but I contributed a piece of art:

59888418cf3db_fa1(2).thumb.jpg.760460e2d8ea1d2dc6ff5cb57c812480.jpg

5988841b6bca6_fa2(2).thumb.jpg.783a670c1b13f69cd16b3564106391df.jpg

And here's my favourite piece from the DWB days (I put some of it in the 'Show us your personal artwork' thread if you're interested):

7.thumb.jpg.c8899c611067cfe91cb89d0a5ca048ce.jpg

59888491e19ad_dwb7me(2).thumb.jpg.b1f02e67a7d08b8d69d237b0617211e8.jpg

DWB was probably what got me hooked on Dr Who from a serious perspective. Back in the day, it wasn't just a show. It was life or death. I'll always be grateful for that day in 83 when I picked this up from Forbidden Planet for 45p:

59888506212f7_DWB1(2).thumb.jpg.ce76a1ade8ce125f2fead344d7621935.jpg

Here's a few of my letters - they give you a flavour of how seriously I took it (Don't blame Peter! I didn't like it when Colin Baker's first words were "Change my dear. And not a moment too soon":

5988856387057_DWB2MyLetter(3).jpg.b3addbb43fc28ef143d852c5a685cf79.jpg      598885677b370_dwb3me(2).thumb.jpg.e6c773b072a72739e5b8a2b6b3402d21.jpg

Anyway, I'm still a fan now to this day and still take it a little more seriously than I should. As long as the next Doctor isn't a woman I'll be watching for another 30 years. Oh, wait. What? They haven't?

Have they?

:wink:

Great post. Just look at the subheading under the Davison quits headline of the first issue of DWB.

21 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Great post. Just look at the subheading under the Davison quits headline of the first issue of DWB.

Yep. It's funny how everyone has been getting in a tizzy over it. It's been threatened every year since at least 1982! :ohnoez:

I liked her in Broadchurch but have never seen her in anything else. I typically do not find women very funny so I don't think this will appeal to me but I'll check it out. The series has just lost it's magic that both Tennant and Smith had but they'd be a hard act to follow for anyone. I couldn't getting into the 12th doctor at all. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, Ken Aldred said:

One of the absolute, all-time best Dr Who stories.  A shame it was spoiled months in advance, and the disclosure took the edge off it quite a bit.

Lots of variety, from the science of space-time to dark, creepy, intense, gothic environments, to the nature of identity and some dry, clever humour.

Excellent writing and direction.

Yes, I was impressed.

OK. Now I am caught up.

Never caught one spoiler, so it was full of surprises.

One of the greatest ends to a series yet. I'm glad we will get a little more Capaldi, before...

But, I admit I skipped "Eaters of the Light," to jump right into "World Enough and Time/ The Doctor Falls."

Here is the first picture of the new Doctor's costume - it has a few nods to previous incarnations:

Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor

The Tardis looks a little different too. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new cast pan out (I can't look back to it, as it hasn't happened yet. Or has it?) but in my gut I feel that however good it may be it may end up feeling like a good something else, rather than good Doctor Who. Does that make sense? hm

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised though, as I have been before. Part of the feeling of unease is probably rooted in my fondness for Capaldi in the role. Despite having inconsistent story telling, an over done (and ill judged given his obvious warmth?) cranky early persona and being shackled by odd, ever moving time slots I think he nailed it and is the Doctor.

With Bradley Walsh as one of three companions (I've never been a multi-companion fan, but think he will be great) it will be interesting to see how Jodie Whittaker commands the screen and evokes the sense of being older and wiser than her 'predecessors'.

Time, as ever, will tell. :wishluck: