• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
10 10

729 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2024 at 7:11 PM, Hepcat said:

Yes, I'm a big fan of good girl art. But why would a superheroine from the 1940's look like her mammary glands are bolt-ons she got at the plastic surgeon's office?

I mean what's with that? Nobody had even envisioned the possibility of implants back then.

:tonofbricks:

It had nothing to do with implants.  Pre-code crime comic book cover images were designed to appeal to teenagers and young men.  Big chi-chi's have always been a head-turner for us, err, them.

Posted (edited)

I'm not talking about the size. I'm talking about the unnatural "fake" shape. Real titties don't just jut outward. They drop due to the effect of gravity thus concentrating breast tissue at the bottom. And that therefore is the way they should be drawn.

:makepoint:

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/6/2024 at 1:40 PM, october said:

Her teeny vulture claws are more disturbing than the aftermarket airbags.

AND the look on her face is one of surprise at having been caught attempting to use that wooden pole behind her to scratch her itchy butt crack.

Posted (edited)

Why does PL 17 (and 23) sell for so much these days? There are many nicer examples of GGA. But those "two" sell for so much more than almost every one. Way more than every other issue from the same series. No 1st apps, the cover art isn't really better than the others from the series. I believe PL 17 was by far the highest priced book from The Promise. Not trying to bust on it, it's a nice cover. Just making a couple of points. We all know why it's so popular. People like "over the top" covers. In the case of PL 17 "under the top" is more fitting. 

Edited by Professor K
23 added to comment

On 7/6/2024 at 5:08 PM, LadyDeath said:

SOTI is one factor. I also refuse to believe Baker did these covers. But let's not open that can of worms. lol

I was going to mention that but I can't back it up with any degree of anything. But i know there is some doubt as to the artist. SOTI? Lotta books are SOTI. I won't use an inappropriate word here, but yeah, it's those. That's why people throw huge amounts of cash at it. 

On 7/6/2024 at 5:53 PM, Professor K said:

SOTI? Lotta books are SOTI. I won't use an inappropriate word here, but yeah, it's those. That's why people throw huge amounts of cash at it. 

Collectors are weird like that. Especially ultra rich ones who just want to own something for the notoriety behind it.

On 7/6/2024 at 4:28 PM, Professor K said:

Why does PL 17 (and 23) sell for so much these days? There are many nicer examples of GGA. But those "two" sell for so much more than almost every one. Way more than every other issue from the same series. No 1st apps, the cover art isn't really better than the others from the series. I believe PL 17 was by far the highest priced book from The Promise. Not trying to bust on it, it's a nice cover. Just making a couple of points. We all know why it's so popular. People like "over the top" covers. In the case of PL 17 "under the top" is more fitting. :acclaim:

The popularity of #23 is really a mystery because the artwork is poor (and it never used to be one of the sought-after issues—not at all). Maybe people started buying that one when the PL17 prices climbed out of reach?

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 6:30 PM, LadyDeath said:

Collectors are weird like that. Especially ultra rich ones who just want to own something for the notoriety behind it.

You're right, that's basically it, I agree. Of course we all know notoriety (and popularity) are important. At least when it's time to sell. We've all missed the boat on books that now go for big money. Some, like me, more than others. But I would still spend too much today on a lot of stuff that I could have gotten 5, 10, or 20 years ago for a fraction of what they go for now. Of all the books that have boomed in the past several years I think Phantom Lady 17 would be the last one I would try to get. 

Edited by Professor K
I gotta start proof reading before I click submit reply

A million years ago, in the Buyer’s Guide days, I got a letter from a guy looking for “bondage” covers. A fairly recent trend at the time. I sent him a list but it appeared he was looking for male bondage covers. I didn’t get it at first and when I did it made no difference to me. All I know I was stoked to get rid of so many Tarzan, Tonto and other very slow sellers…:idea:

PL #17 has been one of my favorite comics ever. I discovered it first in the early ‘70’s. So much so, it is even the opening screen on my phone. Can’t tell you how many folks comment on it when they see it. Now sure, I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a pretty red blooded regular guy but that is really secondary. The main feature is her eyes. Just looking straight out at you. And the expression. I don’t take it as she really needs anybody’s help. You just know anybody that messes with her is in for trouble.

Trivia question…anybody know who first coined the term “bondage cover” and why? 

On 7/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

A million years ago, in the Buyer’s Guide days, I got a letter from a guy looking for “bondage” covers. A fairly recent trend at the time. I sent him a list but it appeared he was looking for male bondage covers. I didn’t get it at first and when I did it made no difference to me.

I think I ran into that same collector. Jeffrey something . . . Dahmer was it? Something like that, anyway.