• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
10 10

729 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

I got a letter from a guy looking for “bondage” covers. A fairly recent trend at the time. I sent him a list but it appeared he was looking for male bondage covers. I didn’t get it at first and when I did it made no difference to me. All I know I was stoked to get rid of so many Tarzan, Tonto and other very slow sellers

I met several of those guys (although some might have been women, I never asked) ...  I started advertising some Batman covers as male bondage, like the ones where Batman was tied up...he or Robin seemed to be tied up a lot.  The description seemed to help the bidding, so I repeated it a few times.

I don't care what other people collect, so it didn't matter...OK, maybe if someone was looking for guillotines, I might have been concerned. I never really considered Robin a child, so I wasn't worried about that kind of stuff...he's an old cartoon.

I don't remember who posted something about women stuffing their bras with tissues, but I almost spit the water I was drinking all over my keyboard.

I do remember some girls talking about doing that stuff in JHS, but not past that...lol.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:31 AM, LadyDeath said:

Definitely. As a Baker fan, 13 is the only PL issue I'd really want.

BakerCoverCollage_zpsaffh0rxw.png

I think it's the only PL cover worked on at all. I'm not sure whether he drew that yellow hand, but I don't doubt that he drew the PL figure. The author of that blog credits the pencils on #16 (#4) to Baker as well, but I don't see it.

On 7/9/2024 at 6:28 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The author of that blog credits the pencils on #16 (#4) to Baker as well, but I don't see it.

The hands are badly drawn so there's no solid evidence of Baker involvement.

8 years since @Point Fivestarted this thread so I will finally post 😝 

🗣️ Marvel Comics #1 is The Greatest Comic Book Ever Published ❣️

🗣️ All Select #1 and #2 are the best Captain America 🇺🇸 related covers in the Golden Age of comics. 

Edited by Primetime

On 7/9/2024 at 10:01 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:baiting:No sense rushing into a thread, @Primetime. And now that you’ve decided to act, is this really the best you can do for “unpopular”?  I hereby declare your opinion popular. 

Well me I certainly don't like Marvel Comics 1 and I my only opinion on Captain America is that he's a sap. :451621943_canadianbananaflaggif: I find this other Timely hero far preferable to Captain America:

Terrytoons42.jpg

It's not even close in my book.

2c

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/9/2024 at 9:08 PM, Hepcat said:

Well me I certainly don't like Marvel Comics 1 and I my only opinion on Captain America is that he's a sap. :451621943_canadianbananaflaggif: I find this other Timely hero far preferable to Captain America:

Terrytoons42.jpg

It's not even close in my book.

2c

I might agree 😝

On 7/9/2024 at 7:01 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:baiting:No sense rushing into a thread, @Primetime. And now that you’ve decided to act, is this really the best you can do for “unpopular”?  I hereby declare your opinion popular. 

You created the All Select 2 monster in me, nearly 25 years ago. If only you could remember 😆 

On 7/10/2024 at 2:19 AM, Primetime said:

You created the All Select 2 monster in me, nearly 25 years ago. If only you could remember 😆 

I wish I could, too. What I DO remember is my confusion seeing it on Matt Nelson’s wall and recognizing it as my former copy

On 7/10/2024 at 6:46 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Be still, my beating heart

Do you ever think before you post? You might want to do precisely that before you ask for certain things. 

9_9

On 7/11/2024 at 10:43 PM, Hepcat said:

Do you ever think before you post? You might want to do precisely that before you ask for certain things. 

9_9

That’s bait, and I’m certainly thinking before I post my answer here

On 7/8/2024 at 1:25 PM, Ryan. said:

The Art of Glamour isn't the first culprit but certainly has escalated the false belief that Baker drew those PL covers. 

In terms of simple style drawing, if Baker did draw the covers to PL 17 and/or 23....

UPDATE: I just looked and found CGCed copies of PL 17 and 23 and neither of the examples I saw noted Baker as the cover artist....

On 7/8/2024 at 2:08 PM, 10centcomics said:

I looked at the edit history for PL17 at GCD (https://www.comics.org/issue/6644/history/)

Looks like Matt Baker was entered in as the cover artist back when the entry was created in 2002. Though GCD existed pre-Internet so I can't nail down when the attribution to Baker was made and by who.

I don't see why there should be any doubt about Matt Baker being the cover artist for Phantom Lady 17:

phantomlady170001.webp

He drew the same girl several more times with the same face and the same fake hillocks in place of mammary glands:

837009.jpg eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1 

:makepoint:

Edited by Hepcat