• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

interesting...but what are the reasons?

I am guessing the "reasons" are quotes from Shakespeare's plays.

scan0001-1.jpg

Congratulations on getting this. I seriously considered making a run for it, but felt the timing wasn't right for me. Now I regret not bidding, being both a Plat collector and a cyclist.

On 8/24/2006 at 12:31 PM, Scrooge said:

The word D E M O C R A T is filtered by the boards to avoid name calling on the boards in much the same way that other four letter words such as [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] are filtered.

mess (testing)

Apparently a string of bad words followed the d word is now a mess.  And the political parties that start with a d or an r just go blank.  

Edited by waaaghboss

Well, after I posted the above photo I went on feebay to look for other copies.  I see two.  Maybe not so rare.  So let me post #2 (for which I saw NO copies):

IMG_20240418_173441928.jpg

According to Overstreet this 1930 comic may be the first one made entirely of original material (which I only found out by decoding the oddly, oblique notation -- "not-r"

This predates the original material comics from 1933 (can't recall the names) which supposedly got Siegel and Shuster inspired to sell Superman as a comicbook  

Clancy the Cop 1st non-reprint comic.jpg

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

I think I posted this one somewhere else years ago. There's quite a few of these 1913 editions of Oh Skin-nay on Ebay so it must not be very rare or they printed millions of them but I was able to get this autographed copy a few years ago and I researched the signers as best I could (I added the notes). It must have been popular because it also resulted in a 1913 sheet music which I was able to find too. I also bought a second copy because that one came in the original cardboard mailer. I wonder if most of these types of books were sent to booksellers in these types of mailers and sold to the public that way. 

comic Oh Skin-nay! 1913 camera 0.jpg

comic oh skin-nay! 1913 original box.jpg

comic Oh Skin-nay! 1913 camera1.jpg

comic Oh Skin-nay! 1913 camera2.jpg

comic oh skin-nay! 1913 sheet music.jpg

comic Oh Skin-nay! 1913 Harry McEvoy bio.JPG

Edited by Ameri