• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,233 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, Robot Man said:

And, I know I probably paid more for the #9 I needed to complete than I paid for all the rest combined.

It's quite a striking cover, especially if you like the "girls in test tube" theme.  Which I do. :blush:

Edited by adamstrange

On 4/4/2022 at 8:10 PM, Robot Man said:

My mom told me those “horror comics” would give me nightmares. Maybe my horror comics gave HER nightmares…

3D9E8145-4676-4143-95B6-EFA50AD72BB4.jpeg

Just noticed the creature’s hand coming in the window, very cool! Although the the scariest thing has gotta be it’s blue striped underwear! :fear:

Did you guys see all those ACG signature series books that came through Heritage over the past month or so, that had Ken Bald's signature in either black sharpie  like bright metallic silver going across the covers?  It was dozens of books from all his genres.  The signature thing never made sense to me, especially GA books, it's almost like they should be graded down for having a signature.  Like this is a very pretty low grade copy of a book that I would have bid on if it didn't have the signature.  Its sort of a YLOD for me...

ACG Ken Bald Sig.png

Edited by Black Bat

On 4/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, Black Bat said:

Did you guys see all those ACG signature series books that came through Heritage over the past month or so, that had Ken Bald's signature in either black sharpie  like bright metallic silver going across the covers?  It was dozens of books from all his genres.  The signature thing never made sense to me, especially GA books, it's almost like they should be graded down for having a signature.  Like this is a very pretty low grade copy of a book that I would have bid on if it didn't have the signature.  Its sort of a YLOD for me...

ACG Ken Bald Sig.png

I just created a new poll to see what people think of Golden Age signatures:

On 4/6/2022 at 7:07 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I'm not a big fan of signatures either. Ken Bald is one of my favorite artists, but I would rather have an unsigned book.

Although, I did pick up one a couple months ago...

AITU41 (2).jpg

Stunning (thumbsu

I was talking to an acquaintance about collecting PCH, how it was a phenomenon that really lasted about 4 or 5 years because the books were banned for being to scary and violent for kids. He asked me what were the scariest covers.  This book was the first that came to mind.  For some reason this cover has always struck me as being particularly disturbing-  a young couple trapped in a basement, in an open grave dug into the floor, neck deep in coal, holding hands, watching in terror as a sadistic undead ghoul is about to set them on fire..  I just can't imagine seeing this as like a 7 or 8 year old kid on some news rack (although it would be worse if the scene was depicted  about 30 seconds later...). I told him I would send him a picture- but when I got home I realized I had sold my copy years ago.  So I immediately bought the best copy I could find. Pretty happy with it- complete, clean cover, vivd colors, and just enough degradation to enhance the vibe, like a light bit of frosting on a delicious cake.  

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.03.08 PM.png