• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, detective35 said:

I  can tell you this Steve would not be buying this book for resale, this is his favourite comic book.  

He has multiple copies of this,  and I remember back in the early 90s when he bought a nice copy from me, he was overjoyed!

For someone to say that as a collector he can't buy his favourite comic book is ridiculous.  

Yes, so big deal if he wants the book he could have anyone else bid on it for him. He would not be shill bidding the book up, so he  can make more money off it, he is buying it for his collection.

In my opinion he deserves to get it, it's been his favourite book for the last 30 years and now the most sought after copy will be coming up for auction, So I hope he gets it.

I would be happy if any other collector would get a book that they have been waiting to to acquire over a lifetime!

Dwight

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Spoken like a true collector!  (thumbsu

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

Although I'm not a criminal lawyer, my vague memories from Crim Law during law school a couple of decades ago indicates that this sounds like a text book example of conspiring to violate a law (to the extent there really is a NY law prohibiting employees (and presumably owners) of auction houses from bidding on items offered by the auction house--I have not bothered to independently verify this).

15 hours ago, detective35 said:

I have no  Idea if Steve will try and get this book or not, I was just speculating seeing that is his favourite book.

i'm sure that Steve will abide by auction house law, let it ride out and see what it goes for.  In Years to come he could always try to acquire it on a trade, Who knows!

i do  know that this is his favourite book!

I've spent 30 years in the hobby enjoying seeing people trying to acquire the  books that they really want, and I've never wished any other collector Ill will.

I know that Jon's collection is going to do very well at auction, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm clearly missing something: why would anyone want to hoard dozens of the same book?

3 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm clearly missing something: why would anyone want to hoard dozens of the same book?

Artificial pricing ?

If one is good, ten are awesome? hm

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Artificial pricing ?

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

If one is good, ten are awesome? hm

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

He just loves that book after all it is Lou Fine we are talking about

Gentlemen:

I, for one, got a really good chuckle from your suggestions. Like :roflmao:kind of a chuckle. Brightened my day!

It all now makes perfect (non)sense (?) :S 

41 minutes ago, comicjack said:

We collect comics we have no sense (:

Well put. Speaking of no sense, here is me waiting for my Fantastic #3: :whistle:

(comicjack: btw congrats on surpassing 10K posts, if you care about that sort of thing...)

2 minutes ago, HRCostigan said:

10K posts?  We came on at the same time.  I need to up my game...

I have nothing to do and have no sense from collecting funny books :banana:

5 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I don't understand why people want more than one copy either.  Can some please explain it to me?  :whistle:

batman25home.jpg

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Gentlemen:

I, for one, got a really good chuckle from your suggestions. Like :roflmao:kind of a chuckle. Brightened my day!

It all now makes perfect (non)sense (?) :S 

This is a hobby in which grown men pay tens of thousands to millions of dollars for old paper pamphlets.  Is "sense" even relevant?

On 3/1/2017 at 6:36 AM, Sagii said:

What an opportunity for 'The Billionaire' to add some Prime real estate to his portfolio outside of DC and Timely territory.  I'm sure he could be a player if Fishler isn't.  It would be a jewel  in his crown to snag the Fantastic 3. 

+1

Yes indeed!

If Ayman Hariri truly wanted to have an Impossible Collection that lived up to its name, then he should really consider picking up some of these rare and HTF runs, especially in terms of the pedigree runs.  (thumbsu

After all, most DC and Timely books, even in high grade are really not that Impossible to find.  hm

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes indeed!

If Ayman Hariri truly wanted to have an Impossible Collection that lived up to its name, then he should really consider picking up some of these rare and HTF runs, especially in terms of the pedigree runs.  (thumbsu

After all, most DC and Timely books, even in high grade are really not that Impossible to find.  hm

I'm almost 100% sure that Ayman is aware of the Berk CC auction in a few months.  Who knows how many calls and reminders Metro will do to remind him of the auction as it approaches.  I can see him winning some if not all of the higher graded rare books (pedigrees) that would fit his Impossible Collection and key books.