• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

WHOA!!!!!!!!!! I would say FINISHED STRONG then bro!!! NICE WORK!!!!! 

Thanks for the nice shout out, Gino! Hope you found some "Ace" up your sleeve or other such card...

6 hours ago, october said:

Snagged this one. Would have loved the 8, but this is a nice consolation prize. It went "cheap" I guess, less than half of the other issues. 

MM 11.png

Congrats on a beautiful pickup here!   The colors on this copy are just so mind blowing bright, as though it had just come off the printing press.  :cloud9::golfclap:

I do have to say that valuation or price is a relative term.  This book in a sense did indeed go "cheap" relative to most of the other surrounding issues, especially in comparison to MM 10 at $22.K which had similar villains on the front cover.  On the other hand, it was also the only unslabbed copy out of the entire MM run and also the only one listed by Chuck as not being in the NM condition range as per his original MH catalogue.

Interesting to note that the 2 highest graded copies of this are both CGC 9.0 graded copies, with one of them being the Allentown copy.  It would indeed be interesting to see if either one of these 2 higher graded copies would be able to fetch the same kind of dollars if they were to hit the marketplace anytime soon.  Somehow, I doubt this would happen as the Allentown copy appears to have last hit the auction marketplace back in 2005, and I also believe the Edgar Church brand carries a lot of monetary value and the Jon Berk association certainly doesn't hurt.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

prize 20 going bonkers

There were a lot books that were going bonkers tonight, including the last lot to close for the night with the extended bidding which was Subby 11 at just over $30K.  Now, that book must be smoking hot to fetch a price like that.  :whatthe:

I tried to snag a couple of low profile HTF toughies which I was hoping would fall through the cracks.  Not much chance of that happening though as I chased both the CGC 3.5 graded Rocket Comics 3 and the Star Comics V2#1 (with the Phantom Rider cover) through the last thousand dollars to $2,400 and $1,670 respectively, before dropping out since they were both already at huge multiples to guide by then.  :censored:

Did managed to sneak the CGC 7.0 graded copy of Star Comics 16, with the first appearance of the Phantom Rider, whoever he is.  lol   Wasn't expecting to bid on this one here as I was really trying to snag some of the other earlier issues along with the Star Rangers.  But noticed during the extended bidding time period that there were only 3 copies of this book on the census, with this one being the highest graded copy by far.  Also noticed that there is possibly no pedigree copy of this particular book since it was not listed in Chuck's Mile High Catalogue, the Larson List, or in the Lost Valley Catalogue.  Don't you love these 3-minute extended time periods since it allows you to do some quick last minute analysis.  :D  (thumbsu  

Since the Heritage archives indicated a sale of only 1 raw G+ copy way back in 2003, I was quite happy that I ended up having to pay just over $1K for this copy which works out to about double condition guide for a highest graded copy of a book from way back in 1938.  :whee:

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

Mystery Men 3.jpg

Tim;

Wow, what a beautiful pickup as this is definitely one of the highlights of the auction here!  :cloud9:  :golfclap:

Looks like this is proof positive that you are completing the shift from the uber high end SA books to top of the line GA books.  With books like these in your personal collection now, I promise I will pay a lot more attention to them when I see you in HK the next time.  :baiting:  lol

Absolutely superb and at what I would consider to be a very good price, considering that it is not only the highest graded copy, but also originating from the #1 top pedigree in our hobby.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

good pick up...thought you got it at a great price (to answer adamstrange)

Thanks Rick, I agree and am over the moon that I got it at this price, which was way below my max bid.  This was a book I have coveted since seeing it in the gallery in an Overstreet many years ago, and it was my only priority in this auction.

+1

Although $57K sounds like a big chuck of change (which it is) at first blush, I also agree with both you and Rick that this is actually a very good price for a book of this magnitude.  hm

After all, Mystery Men is considered by most to be the top title in the Fox empire, and also with issue #3 arguably rising over and above issue #1 right to the top of the MM run.  From a guide point of view, you are really also looking at a multiple of only 5X top of 9.2 condition guide for a 9.6 highest graded copy of a book coming from unquestionably the #1 pedigree in our marketplace. 

For comparison purposes, it definitely looks relatively cheap when you compare it to the 2 big pre-Robin sales which CC had in their last auction back in March.  Both the 3.0 copies of Detective's 29 and 38 also went for a multiples of well over 4X condition guide as they sold for $66K and $54K respectively.  And those kinds of prices and multiples were achieved for books that were ranked 19th and 28th (excluding the restored copies of which there were quite a few higher graded) in terms of their unrestored condition ranking.  :whatthe:

So bottom-line:  $57K and only a multiple of 5X top of 9.2 condition guide is a fantastic price to be paying for the best copy of this all-time classic cover book.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Yee-Haw...A lil' bit of Cowboy Action dare potna!  The Fred's :cloud9:

sta10.55a.jpg

sta10.62a.jpg

Two real nice pickups here.  (thumbsu

Should be pointed out to you, however, that your wallet wouldn't have gotten off so lightly if my attention hadn't been distracted with all of those Star Comics which were still being extended as these Star Rangers and the Star Ranger Funnies hit the countdown clock. 

Note to self:  Must learn to be more efficient going forward by opening and being able to jump through windows more quickly.  lol

Slept thru my alarm, woke up to find I'd missed live bidding on most of my auctions of interest. Checked the outcomes and they almost all went for way over previous market, so I guess it was good that I didnt stay up all night? One more night to go, maybe I can keep myself awake this time...

On 6/13/2017 at 5:23 PM, skypinkblu said:

Can someone who knows more than I do about this stuff (probably 99% of you;) 

Explain why some of the books have "small amount of glue on cover" with a blue label and some have the same designation with a conserved label and some with a purple label? 

I've been comparing and at first I thought that the purples were older slabs, but I just saw a purple label that said "small amount of glue on centerfold" in a purple label, with the notes as "C-1", and that is the more recent designation.

There are tons of books with glue in this auction. Jon must feel the same way I do, a drop of glue is not something that would keep me up at night.

Hi Sharon :hi:

I know this was already answered, but I had the same question once. I'll post below the answer from @BradleyX2 

I noticed on the book I was questioning, the label notation was "Very minor amount" as opposed to "Small amount." Perhaps this vague quantification is the difference between what gets blue vs. purple? Or maybe it just comes down to the "sole discretion" Bradley mentioned and there's no real defined threshold?

Foley said:
Has anyone ever seen this before? A universal label with a remark indicating a "very minor amount of color touch on cover?"

Just curious as I've never come across this and assumed that all color touch, however minor, leads to a PLOD.

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bmystery%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1091871

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.

8 minutes ago, Foley said:

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.

This still doesn't answer Sha's question of WHY  :D

I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason CGC established this approach is so that they wouldn't have to put a bunch of the Church books in purple labels. I think that's the original reason WHY they started down this path. hm

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Indeed. Sorry to have bumped you  but this book certainly doesn't  come along every day. I also felt it was fairly priced  

IMG_0011.JPG

Well I'm glad a boardie got it! Congrats! ?

35 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I should have known you would get that insanely vibrant 18. Incredibly copy:foryou:

Thanks guys. Weirdly, this actually makes economic sense even though I overpaid,  because I'm downgrading in terms of technical grades - and the surplus funds will find a good home in Serendipity (those who know will understand).