• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Thanks guys. Weirdly, this actually makes economic sense even though I overpaid,  because I'm downgrading in terms of technical grades - and the surplus funds will find a good home in Serendipity (those who know will understand).

A GREAT MAN YOU ARE NO DOUBT!!!! 

1 hour ago, BriD. said:

I was way late to the party and missed the first three days of the auction :facepalm: , but I managed to grab this at a bit more than what  I was hoping it would go for :banana:

sho3.80a.jpg

Nice!  One of Cole's best.

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I was sort of wondering about that -- with the book cracked out, will the "Collection of Jon Berk" label still be acceptable as proof that it's a Berk book?

Save the scan from the auction.  The combination of the scan and the label should be enough to convince the graders that it's a Berk book.

5 hours ago, edowens71 said:

This still doesn't answer Sha's question of WHY  :D

I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason CGC established this approach is so that they wouldn't have to put a bunch of the Church books in purple labels. I think that's the original reason WHY they started down this path. hm

Yep.  That's my understanding.  They needed the support of the dealers and collectors who owned pedigree books with minor resto.

Nice wins!

I was just browsing...and I was wondering when CGC changed the labels, or did they ? I thought the top line on conserved books used to be purple?  This hit me, because I won something that was conserved, and I hadn't really noticed until I read the description again. I would have bid anyway, so I'm not upset, but I'm curious.

sup2.722a.jpg