• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

3 hours ago, Electron said:
6 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

My first purchase of 2017, if only I had known the 9.4 was coming up for auction I would have been more choosy lol

c024b0b4-3414-40ce-8f5e-2fb1c1d7e232_zpsynvbdimi.jpg

Very nice looking copy of one of the toughest to find classic covers out there. Congrats!

+1 (thumbsu

+2! You must be thrilled, I know I am just seeing you post this. Congrats!(worship)

49 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
59 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

K, here goes nothing...... what's the big deal with Fantastic 3?

It is the best book in Billy Parker's collection.

It is another one of the best books NOT in my collection.  :frown:

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The Fantastic 1 Church copy is a 9.8 and the 3 is the 9.4 referenced earlier.

I remember seeing the Larson copy of Fantastic 1 on display at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95.  The book was absolutely gorgeous and almost 3D like with the blazing red colors and Samson bursting out from the wall.  :cloud9:

Regretted not being able to work out a deal with Fishler for the book at the time as he wanted to verify the authenticity of the pedigree.  :frown:

I can just imagine how mind blowing the Church 9.8 copy of this Fantastic 1 must be.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Ranked #3 is a recent poll of top Golden Age comic book covers

Drawn by Lou Fine, considered one of the finest comic book artists ever

Giant red killer robots

Best condition copy from the greatest Golden Age pedigree collection

8 hours ago, adamstrange said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like there have been quite a few 9.4's and 9.6's added into the census population reports for the Fox books.  Yet at the same time, some of them are still absent of any books in the 9's grade condition range.  For example, only a CGC 4.5 shows up for Mystery Men 1 while a CGC 9.6 shows up for Mystery Men 31.  hm

So, maybe not all of the have been posted yet or some of the Church Fox books are not into the nosebleed uber high grade condition range that we were all hoping for.  (shrug)

He's missing a book or two from the runs.  In some cases the Church copy is not uber high grade though they all look spectacular from the front cover.

Adam;

Any idea if the CGC Census Population Report for the Fox books have been updated to reflect all of Jon's Church copies or is this still a work in progress?  Just wondering since some of the highest graded copies from the census is still only down around the CGC 4.0 to CGC 7.5 condition range, which would not line up with Chuck's grading for what it's worth?  ???

Any idea if Jon may have sold off some of the Church copies from his Mystery Men and Wonderworld runs?  Especially with respect to the Mystery Men as he had acquired the entire run (less issues #21 - 23) from Diamond Galleries as far as I know.  hm

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Adam;

Any idea if the CGC Census Population Report for the Fox books have been updated to reflect all of Jon's Church copies or is this still a work in progress?  Just wondering since some of the highest graded copies from the census is still only down around the CGC 4.0 to CGC 7.5 condition range, which would not line up with Chuck's grading for what it's worth?  ???

Any idea if Jon may have sold off some of the Church copies from his Mystery Men and Wonderworld runs?  Especially with respect to the Mystery Men as he had acquired the entire run (less issues #21 - 23) from Diamond Galleries as far as I know.  hm

I don't know whether the Census has includes everything yet or not.  He didn't have any books in slabs so CGC has quite a bit of work to do across all of the slabbable comics.  Based on what you found it sounds like there are still some to be graded.

His was very fond of Lou Fine and Fox and made it clear that selling the Hits and Nationals was one thing and the Fox books another.  They were still around this year and so the Fox runs will be in the upcoming sale.

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Adam;

I don't know whether the Census has includes everything yet or not.  He didn't have any books in slabs so CGC has quite a bit of work to do across all of the slabbable comics.  Based on what you found it sounds like there are still some to be graded.

His was very fond of Lou Fine and Fox and made it clear that selling the Hits and Nationals was one thing and the Fox books another.  They were still around this year and so the Fox runs will be in the upcoming sale.

Thanks Adam!  (thumbsu

Don't believe the Census Report can be fully up-to-date yet as there are a few too many HG Fox copies missing.

I guess it's just a matter of being patient  :taptaptap: and I imagine a few more zzz should take care of that. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Still not good timing from my point of view.  doh!

Being the nice guy that I am, I probably would have made the announcement 2 or 3 weeks earlier then.  If I was going to end up "messing up" my own auction that is just about to open, then I may as well "mess up" the competitor's auction as well, instead of waiting until their auction is closing and all of the bids are pretty well already in.  :devil:

Appears to be a "worst of both worlds" scenario from a timing point of view.  hm

I wish the announcement had been made before the Heritage auction.  I spent money in that auction that I would now prefer to have not spent to save up for the Berk auction.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, lou_fine said:
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, adamstrange said:
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, lou_fine said:

Which then begs the question:  If Heritage was used to auctioned off his Hit runs just last week, why the switch in auction houses to CC in apparent mid-stream?  hm

The National were sold back in the 90s and the Hits several years ago, none of them through auction.

Oh, I see......a private sale then or one that was brokered by a major comic book dealer/broker.  (thumbsu

So, this scattering of Church Hit books that were auctioned off by HA just last week were most likely consigned by whoever had brought the books from Jon.  hm

I'm pretty sure we already told you in the Hits thread that Jon had sold the Hits previously to someone else, and it was the someone else who sold them on Heritage just now. :makepoint:

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Johnny545 said:

I hope cc puts out a collectors itemesque auction catalog - maybe hardcover like the Sotheby's from 1991. The collection is obviously worth it and it would be a nice tribute for the effort in putting the collection together.  Maybe wishful thinking but one can hope.  

Heck that could be a thriller book. They should see to including some, if not all of Berk's research articles. And/or the consigner could add some personal comments on the most special books and art. Maybe he's working on it right now ... :wishluck:

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I hope I manage to get one book to safeguard.

Sure. For me it will be the auction catalogue. lol 

42 minutes ago, tth2 said:

On 2/27/2017 at 8:03 PM, lou_fine said:
On 2/27/2017 at 7:59 PM, adamstrange said:
On 2/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Which then begs the question:  If Heritage was used to auctioned off his Hit runs just last week, why the switch in auction houses to CC in apparent mid-stream?  hm

The National were sold back in the 90s and the Hits several years ago, none of them through auction.

Oh, I see......a private sale then or one that was brokered by a major comic book dealer/broker.  (thumbsu

So, this scattering of Church Hit books that were auctioned off by HA just last week were most likely consigned by whoever had brought the books from Jon.  hm

I'm pretty sure we already told you in the Hits thread that Jon had sold the Hits previously to someone else, and it was the someone else who sold them on Heritage just now. :makepoint:

Now, now, Tim.............have you not been told to respect your elders?  (tsk)

One day when you get as old as us old fogies (in a few short months in your case lol), you'll probably become even more absent-minded than us.  Why, we might even have to remind you to go to the potty every now and then.  That'll be our opportunity to steal all of your funny books while your pants are down around your ankles.  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

:whatthe:

I know, right? I've only been getting into GA over the last few months, but I'm clueless outside of DC books, so when I see lots of big GA collectors fawning over one particular book, I gotta ask. Thanks for the replies, it is quite a lovely book. I'm always amazed at how intricate the GA covers can be.

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I know, right? I've only been getting into GA over the last few months, but I'm clueless outside of DC books, so when I see lots of big GA collectors fawning over one particular book, I gotta ask. Thanks for the replies, it is quite a lovely book. I'm always amazed at how intricate the GA covers can be.

Goldenage is amazing !

14 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

My first purchase of 2017, if only I had known the 9.4 was coming up for auction I would have been more choosy lol

c024b0b4-3414-40ce-8f5e-2fb1c1d7e232_zpsynvbdimi.jpg

What a way to start the new year.(worship) Hands down my fave  Golden Age cover. I'm so glad I bought my copy off a private collector about 10 years ago. your copy looks great . Congrats!!:applause:(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:
9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

:whatthe:

Fantastic 3 is also notable because it is artificially scarce.  Stephen Fishler of Metro has been hoarding copies. I've seen his stash in a glass case in the Metro offices.

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 2/27/2017 at 11:03 PM, lou_fine said:
On 2/27/2017 at 10:59 PM, adamstrange said:
On 2/27/2017 at 10:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Ask him about the Diamond Gallery sale in 1995.  That he remembers! lol

11 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Speaking of the Diamond Gallery sale, does anyone have the literature or sales prices and inventory of what was sold?   I thought I saw a link or copy of that in some thread years ago.

I don't have it i am simply quoting you to tell you that i think your avatar is AWESOME!! 

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I remember seeing the Larson copy of Fantastic 1 on display at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95.  The book was absolutely gorgeous and almost 3D like with the blazing red colors and Samson bursting out from the wall.  :cloud9:

Regretted not being able to work out a deal with Fishler for the book at the time as he wanted to verify the authenticity of the pedigree.  :frown:

I can just imagine how mind blowing the Church 9.8 copy of this Fantastic 1 must be.  :luhv:

I can remember standing next to Bob Overstreet when the "vault" was opened at the Gallery and he said to me "A 30 year collection, down the drain". 

What an opportunity for 'The Billionaire' to add some Prime real estate to his portfolio outside of DC and Timely territory.  I'm sure he could be a player if Fishler isn't.  It would be a jewel  in his crown to snag the Fantastic 3.