• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

K, here goes nothing...... what's the big deal with Fantastic 3?

It's become a popular second choice for people who don't own a Fantastic #9.  :whatev:

3 hours ago, Sagii said:

What an opportunity for 'The Billionaire' to add some Prime real estate to his portfolio outside of DC and Timely territory.  I'm sure he could be a player if Fishler isn't.  It would be a jewel  in his crown to snag the Fantastic 3. 

He can buy Berk's whole collection if he wants to do so.

28 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:
3 hours ago, Sagii said:

What an opportunity for 'The Billionaire' to add some Prime real estate to his portfolio outside of DC and Timely territory.  I'm sure he could be a player if Fishler isn't.  It would be a jewel  in his crown to snag the Fantastic 3. 

He can buy Berk's whole collection if he wants to do so.

Interesting point.  Giving Metro's relationships with both, I suppose a private sale could have been arranged if both sides had been interested. 

4 hours ago, ciorac said:

I can remember standing next to Bob Overstreet when the "vault" was opened at the Gallery and he said to me "A 30 year collection, down the drain". 

Do you mean to say that the books at Diamond International came from Bob? 

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Do you mean to say that the books at Diamond International came from Bob? 

The comics sold at the Diamond Gallery Opening in 1995 were almost entirely from Overstreet's collection.

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The comics sold at the Diamond Gallery Opening in 1995 were almost entirely from Overstreet's collection.

thanks!  

Do you know anything behind why Bob sold at the time?   That must have been a truly incredible collection.

Edited by Bronty

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

thanks!  

Do you know anything behind why Bob sold at the time?   That must have been a truly incredible collection.

There were 25,000 GA books in the collection -- it was massive.  Bob was in the middle of a divorce and ended up selling his business and comics to Steve Geppi in order to settle matters.

26 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
45 minutes ago, Bronty said:

thanks!  

There were 25,000 GA books in the collection -- it was massive.  Bob was in the middle of a divorce and ended up selling his business and comics to Steve Geppi in order to settle matters.

20 minutes ago, Bronty said:

ah.  divorce.   poor guy, no wonder he didn't feel good about selling.

Yes, but from looking at both portions of the collection, let's just say that Bob clearly knew what he was doing when it came to dividing up the books.  :whistle:

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but from looking at both portions of the collection, let's just say that Bob clearly knew what he was doing when it came to dividing up the books.  :whistle:

1/2 went to Bob and 1/2 to the ex-wife.  Of the ex-wife's share, 25% were sold by Gary Carter and the rest were sold to Geppi.

5 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Speaking of the Diamond Gallery sale, does anyone have the literature or sales prices and inventory of what was sold?   I thought I saw a link or copy of that in some thread years ago.

Yes, they had a nice full color pamphlet with pictures highlighting some of the comics and movie posters as part of the grand opening.  I am sure that somebody with good search skills should be able to find this thread for us.  :wishluck:

As for a list of the sales prices, you can find them in the May 1995 issue of the Comic Book Marketplace as John Snyder had a 2-page summary listing all of the books that had sold and priced out by Geppi and Overstreet during that weekend.  For example, you can see that the Terrific 5 sold for only $600, Church Mystery Men 1 for $6,300, etc.  Of course, the summary does not appear to include the books that were placed on hold to be priced out by Geppi over the following few weeks.  :gossip:

6 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Speaking of the Diamond Gallery sale, does anyone have the literature or sales prices and inventory of what was sold?   I thought I saw a link or copy of that in some thread years ago.

I have posted the brochure before but could not find the thread.  If no one else can find it then I will start a new thread this evening

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting point.  Giving Metro's relationships with both, I suppose a private sale could have been arranged if both sides had been interested. 

Yes. I remember reading in the previous press release for the reveal of the 'Impossible Collection' something like it was still a work in progress, or mostly just the DC stuff. I'm sure the Metro boys have 'advised' him on diversifying his collection. This would be a great potential player to raise hopes to Mr. Berk that he could get the most potential maximized results for going with them. That and his relationship with Stephen as cited earlier. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes no doubt.

"Here Martha, you take these Cowboy Romance comics and these Fawcetts at Guide, and I'll take these Detectives at Guide.

Thank goodness we have my Guide to tell us what all these are worth and make this an easy division of assets."