• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Some of those books need a press.

And they need some color touch. Why were they printed in b&w?  (:

Cool pre-Bats display of books and pulps! (Feb '39.) Plus ecclesiastical digests to re-set one's moral compass after reading those filthy filthy comics.

On 3/17/2017 at 8:20 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if Jon would have a lot of 2nd tier DC character books such as mid runs of Sensation, All-Flash, Green Lanterns, etc. left in his personal collection that will become available in this upcoming auction?  ???

I am sure that he must already have virtually all of the early keys in most of the mainstream DC runs.

Jon was never a big DC superhero fan.  His DC focus was on the earliest books and the classic big keys, a few of which like Sensation 1 and All Star 8 are already gone.

Yes, definitely aware of Jon's fondness for the very early pre-hero DC books, as his name kept cropping up when I would ask dealers about certain books that I was interested in tracking down.

Actually, my first move into vintage collectible comics was due entirely to Gary Cater's wonderful article "DC Before Superman" which he had done up for one of the Overstreet Price Guides (#13 I believe).  I read this article over and over again for quite a few years and just became absolutely fascinated with the very early pre-hero DC books and how rare they truly were.  So, I guess I basically went from the B&W's of the late 80's, bypassed the SA completely, and straight into the "B&W's" of the early to mid 30's before settling down into the early GA books.  lol  :luhv:

Seems rather unfortunate that the marketplace has almost completely forgotten about these very early books that formed the roots from which the now so popular superhero comics would eventually come from.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if all of the Church Fox books have been graded yet, or is it possible that Jon may have sold off some of the later less expensive issues? 

Just asking since the CGC Census Population Report is still absent some of the expected high grades which these Church books should be receiving, as based upon the listed grades from Chuck's original Mile High catalogue.  ???

On 3/12/2017 at 4:51 PM, adamstrange said:

The books are all being sold at auction so I'm sure it's just a matter of CGC not yet getting to the grades on those books.

Looks like Adam was right as I just checked the CGC Census Report and they have now added in some high grades for some of the later Mystery Men books.  (thumbsu

For example, we now have a 9.4 graded copy for MM 26 when the former high was only a 6.5 graded copy.  And for the red hot and HTF MM 30, we now have a 9.4 graded copy to keep company with the sole one and only 4.5 graded copy.  :x

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like Adam was right as I just checked the CGC Census Report and they have now added in some high grades for some of the later Mystery Men books.  (thumbsu

For example, we now have a 9.4 graded copy for MM 26 when the former high was only a 6.5 graded copy.  And for the red hot and HTF MM 30, we now have a 9.4 graded copy to keep company with the sole one and only 4.5 graded copy.  :x

WOW that is gonna be CRAZY cool!! Speaking of books being added to the census report I have been keeping my eyes peeled for OUR FLAG 5 and still haven't seen it. If I remember correctly JB had posted the ROCKFORD copy right after MrMyst posted his copy and JB said it was only copy he had ever seen and spoke to its scarcity. 

3 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

WOW that is gonna be CRAZY cool!! Speaking of books being added to the census report I have been keeping my eyes peeled for OUR FLAG 5 and still haven't seen it. If I remember correctly JB had posted the ROCKFORD copy right after MrMyst posted his copy and JB said it was only copy he had ever seen and spoke to its scarcity. 

...somebody thinking about hoarding? :baiting:

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

...somebody thinking about hoarding? :baiting:

Oh it certainly has crossed my mind pal!! If there ever was a book I would try to hoard this would be right up there. Whenever I think of hoarding books though I can't help but think if I hoard something then someone else doesn't get to enjoy a copy so I can't say I will be bidding (if it does indeed come up for sale) I am so happy with my copy right now I would love to see someone else land one as I am sure they would be just as excited as myself and that is something I enjoy as well!! Life is short I want us all to be as happy as possible. BTW Nothing against folks who do hoard I totally get it if you have a book that is near and dear to your heart go for it. This book is just so rare I would hate to rob the pleasure for someone else. (thumbsu 

BUT...if theres is no interest and it is going real cheap don't think for a second I won't jump in there and snag it :jaws:lol

4 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Oh it certainly has crossed my mind pal!! If there ever was a book I would try to hoard this would be right up there. Whenever I think of hoarding books though I can't help but think if I hoard something then someone else doesn't get to enjoy a copy so I can't say I will be bidding (if it does indeed come up for sale) I am so happy with my copy right now I would love to see someone else land one as I am sure they would be just as excited as myself and that is something I enjoy as well!! Life is short I want us all to be as happy as possible. BTW Nothing against folks who do hoard I totally get it if you have a book that is near and dear to your heart go for it. This book is just so rare I would hate to rob the pleasure for someone else. (thumbsu 

BUT...if theres is no interest and it is going real cheap don't think for a second I won't jump in there and snag it :jaws:lol

Interesting perspective,  and yes with a book that rare,  it would be a nice gesture to let someone get the opportunity to have one too. 

I've been watching out for three books in particular to pop up on the census assuming they'd be the Berk copy. One has so far,  just shy of the 9.0 realm, so I may have a shot ( but it is the highest graded and SELDOM offered), So we'll see. Either way I want to take home something from this historic auction so bring on the consolation prizes baby !!!

12 minutes ago, sagii said:

Interesting perspective,  and yes with a book that rare,  it would be a nice gesture to let someone get the opportunity to have one too. 

I've been watching out for three books in particular to pop up on the census assuming they'd be the Berk copy. One has so far,  just shy of the 9.0 realm, so I may have a shot ( but it is the highest graded and SELDOM offered), So we'll see. Either way I want to take home something from this historic auction so bring on the consolation prizes baby !!!

Consolation prizes WOOOOO I like it!!!! I too would LOVE to bring home at least 1 thing from this historic collection!! I am so excited just to browse em and add em to the watch list its insane!!!! 

4 hours ago, sagii said:

With the expected large quantity of books coming out in this upcoming auction, I believe everybody should be able to come away with something.  :wishluck:

Especially when many books will simply fall through the cracks as it will be hard for bidders to focus on everything .  In addition, bidders will most likely not be willing to max out their bids on most of the individual lots (except for some of the key featured lots) since they can just save their ammo for another upcoming lot.

I remember when Heritage was auctioning off a run of the Church copies of the Green Lantern series, and I was able to snag a relatively lower graded copy of the supposedly rare Green Lantern 30 for less than $200.  :whatthe: :whee:  I guess it was simply hidden like a weed in a garden of Church roses.  Certainly not like a weed in my collection though, as it presents much more like a F/VF 7.0 from the front and back covers.  :luhv:

There will most likely be many such nice looking "weeds" hidden and lost amongst the rest of the beautiful flowers in this garden, and yours for the picking if you keep an eye out for them.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

With the expected large quantity of books coming out in this upcoming auction, I believe everybody should be able to come away with something.  :wishluck:

Especially when many books will simply fall through the cracks as it will be hard for bidders to focus on everything .  In addition, bidders will most likely not be willing to max out their bids on most of the individual lots (except for some of the key featured lots) since they can just save their ammo for another upcoming lot.

I remember when Heritage was auctioning off a run of the Church copies of the Green Lantern series, and I was able to snag a relatively lower graded copy of the supposedly rare Green Lantern 30 for less than $200.  :whatthe: :whee:  I guess it was simply hidden like a weed in a garden of Church roses.  Certainly not like a weed in my collection though, as it presents much more like a F/VF 7.0 from the front and back covers.  :luhv:

There will most likely be many such nice looking "weeds" hidden and lost amongst the rest of the beautiful flowers in this garden, and yours for the picking if you keep an eye out for them.  hm

Lou: Best-Post-Ever....

6 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

You're a good egg, Gino!

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

1 hour ago, sagii said:

I agree and this last statement is a great!! 

13 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

2 hours ago, sagii said:

I agree and this last statement is a great!! 

If you are going to be a buyer in this type of massive auction, you should try your best to avoid the situation where the money is chasing after the book, and instead, put yourself in the situation where the book is chasing after the money.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If you are going to be a buyer in this type of massive auction, you should try your best to avoid the situation where the money is chasing after the book, and instead, put yourself in the situation where the book is chasing after the money.  hm

Dude you're on fire right now!! couldn't have said it better myself. I probably will more or less just be watching but that would be a good approach to many just looking to pick up a crumb or two

58 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Dude you're on fire right now!! couldn't have said it better myself. I probably will more or less just be watching but that would be a good approach to many just looking to pick up a crumb or two

There've been a lot of auctions where I expect to "just be watching" and then I have to make sure that I get to the credit card statement before my wife sees it. :)

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There've been a lot of auctions where I expect to "just be watching" and then I have to make sure that I get to the credit card statement before my wife sees it. :)

Try money orders instead!! She never need know. :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Try money orders instead!! She never need know. :wishluck:

:idea: