• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've been back there, too, although not the other night.  In looking around, I can't help but think that a fire in that relatively small space would be a real catastrophe for the hobby. :whatthe:

So true. A little more devastating than let's say Chuck's 30,000 square feet fully engulfed!

Edited by ThothAmon

58 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

So true. A little more devastating than let's say Chuck's 30,000 square feet fully engulfed!

And in case of fire, it's not like having a good sprinkler system would be of any help.

Water + pulp paper   happy books. 

With the SUS 3 mile high coming  on the market after grading ,also along with a lot of good stuff from Ha in may also...not a good time to bring stuff for auction. I would assume E-Bay might pick up the slack,  such that that if you wanted to use CC/HA especially with the terms that CC gives for payments..the market is gonna get shell shocked until probably Nov if not the end of the year...there must be some buyers out there that dont use Ha or CC that should be your target market if you need to unload part or all of your collection.

Edited by Mmehdy

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 3/12/2017 at 1:21 PM, G.A.tor said:

Vinny told me all one auction

Interesting.  CLink spread out the Jamie Graham books over I don't know how many auctions.  Heritage may still be selling off the Mel Dybdahl books.  

I've bought multiple books out of both collections, probably at least 20-25 from each.  Not sure I would have done that if they had all appeared in a single auction.

Hope this works out for Berk, but selling such a large collection in a single auction seems like a recipe for at least some of the books going lower than they otherwise would.

I guess we'll see. 

+1

Exactly my thoughts also, as this is pretty much what I was alluding to way back in one of the first few pages of this thread here.  (thumbsu

Heritage has definitely spread some of their larger consignments over multiple auctions on many occasions in the past. 

I don't believe this is a recipe for only some of the books to go lower than they otherwise would.  I believe this is a sure fire recipe for virtually all of their run books to go lower, with the only possible exceptions being the highlight headline grabbing keys, classic cover books, and major pedigree books.  Especially when you consider that a substantial portion will apparently now be graded directly by Metro staff and sold off raw, without being officially graded and slabbed.  But I doubt we'll ever really know for sure since the marketplace is just so dynamic.  (shrug)

Since everything is going to be done in just one auction, I am also starting to have some suspicions about the size of this collection actually being comprised of 18,000 comic books.  It's probably only at that number if you also include all of the books that he used to have in the past and have sold off over the years, such as all of his Atomic Age books, his Church run of Hits and Nationals, etc.  The timeline for getting all of these books to auction in time for May also seems a bit puzzling in terms of being rushed since many of them still seems to be somewhere in the grading pipeline and still needs to be slabbed and subsequently catalogued in time for the auction.  We all know what CGC's turnaround times are and these additional thousands of books are now to be also done over and above their normal submissions from their regular customer base.  hm  ???

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

We all know what CGC's turnaround times are and these additional thousands of books are now to be also done over and above their normal submissions from their regular customer base.  hm  ???

Perhaps a lot of books will not be slabbed.

As Adamstrange has mentioned, Jon is not a high grade maven except for a few books.  So if a lot of his collection, in terms of quantity, is mid-grade SA Marvel and the like, there's probably no need to slab most of it.

I don't know why people seem so unhappy about this news, by the way.  I would've thought that most people would be very happy because there might be some nice bargains as a result.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

As Adamstrange has mentioned, Jon is not a high grade maven except for a few books.  So if a lot of his collection, in terms of quantity, is mid-grade SA Marvel and the like, there's probably no need to slab most of it.

I don't know why people seem so unhappy about this news, by the way.  I would've thought that most people would be very happy because there might be some nice bargains as a result.

It might be your last chance to pickup a rare bird in any condition and i agree you might get a bargain,

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

It might be your last chance to pickup a rare bird in any condition and i agree you might get a bargain,

It's NOW or never ... :devil:

Wait. Do you think Jon Berk will read this eventually? :blush:

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

That is exactly the impression I was given by CC staff at the Berk preview night. Many books will simply be graded by CC and slipped into Mylar bags for our bidding pleasure. 

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Exactly my thoughts also, as this is pretty much what I was alluding to way back in one of the first few pages of this thread here.  (thumbsu

Heritage has definitely spread some of their larger consignments over multiple auctions on many occasions in the past. 

I don't believe this is a recipe for only some of the books to go lower than they otherwise would.  I believe this is a sure fire recipe for virtually all of their run books to go lower, with the only possible exceptions being the highlight headline grabbing keys, classic cover books, and major pedigree books.  Especially when you consider that a substantial portion will apparently now be graded directly by Metro staff and sold off raw, without being officially graded and slabbed.  But I doubt we'll ever really know for sure since the marketplace is just so dynamic.  (shrug)

Since everything is going to be done in just one auction, I am also starting to have some suspicions about the size of this collection actually being comprised of 18,000 comic books.  It's probably only at that number if you also include all of the books that he used to have in the past and have sold off over the years, such as all of his Atomic Age books, his Church run of Hits and Nationals, etc.  The timeline for getting all of these books to auction in time for May also seems a bit puzzling in terms of being rushed since many of them still seems to be somewhere in the grading pipeline and still needs to be slabbed and subsequently catalogued in time for the auction.  We all know what CGC's turnaround times are and these additional thousands of books are now to be also done over and above their normal submissions from their regular customer base.  hm  ???

If you have repetitive material such as 10 buster browns or a ton of Robert Crumb originals  the spreading works and you will maximize price as Ha has done on Eric's underground art collection..here where the mistake was they was no overlap of material so throw it out on the market and the part of the reason must be that Jon himself feels the market as peaked is not gonna wait over time to see a decrease in market value, make no mistake Jon is smart and has been there and done that...he has seen prices go from 5 bucks to 5000.

Where this back fires is its just too much material on the market at the same time and buyers are gonna be tapped out, the smarter way was for Jon to take his mid grade material and put it on Ha weekly auctions...amazing that last year they almost did 30 Mil which was more than the signature auctions total. Especially if he is not gonna grade 90% of the books, further, unless CC man's up Ha has the best catalog and website. so be it, its Jon's collection but the market can only take so much material before prices are impacted. I would of spread the material out and consigned BOTH CC and HA and put material where both can maximize the best return.

Edited by Mmehdy