• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, piper said:

Well outside my comfort zone, that's for sure.  Where are the extensively restored books? 

Well, anyone of the 3 books on top in the picture below should take care of your needs then:   :flipbait:   lol

On 3/11/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sqeggs said:

IMG_0419.jpg

I believe none of those books are extensively restored, quite the contrary. A-1.

I knew that, but I was just trying to point him in the right direction.  lol

In actual fact, the Action 1 is no longer considered to be Restored based upon CGC's new Restoration Grading Scale, as it is now only considered to be Conserved.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

@Mmehdy: As a foreign collector and now in my 40s I would never have thought that one day I would communicate in the same - albeit virtual - forum as the guy who made the very first headlines with the purchase of an old comic book for "crazy" money. I like your posts, although still waiting for one that I might have a substantial response for. Over and out.

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Mitch, you have got to be one of the most dense people I have ever encountered on a message board.   And FYI, if someone bids on an item and has the high bid, they win.  If they bid and someone outbids them, they lose (sort of the definition of an auction).  If I place a low ball offer and get outbid, someone was willing to pay more so no, it doesn't drive up the price or show artificial "real" bidder interest.   

There are some real "tire kickers " out there. I recently had a item on ha.com sell, there was one bidder..when it came time to pay up...the bidder backed out saying that he "thought" as I did there would be somebody else bidding on that items at a higher price . I think all of us here have had some experience with some form of "play bidding" on items we have consigned to auction houses...It might not be you...but it is out in  the auction world, and it is real..  Sometimes value is determined by bidding interest and number of bidders...real or unreal...some of us pay attention to those statistics as a gauge or a factor in determining  what the final price will be.  The whole world wants action 1-...but actually bidding on it, knowing that your $500 bid which has no chance of succeeding is gonna give you a "charge" that you were the "high bidder" seems a bit odd.

Edited by Mmehdy

10 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

There are some real "tire kickers " out there. I recently had a item on ha.com sell, there was one bidder..when it came time to pay up...the bidder backed out saying that he "thought" as I did there would be somebody else bidding on that items.. I think all of us here have had some experience with some form of "play bidding"...It might not be you...but it is out, and it is real..

Didn't know you could back out of a Heritage auction.  Even if they are "play bidding", as you call it, those that bid are prepared to make good should they win.  Those that don't make good are a different kettle of fish altogether.  Personally, I often throw in low ball bids on auctions.  Lately I haven't won many.

29 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Didn't know you could back out of a Heritage auction.  Even if they are "play bidding", as you call it, those that bid are prepared to make good should they win.  Those that don't make good are a different kettle of fish altogether.  Personally, I often throw in low ball bids on auctions.  Lately I haven't won many.

low ball with the intention of buying is just fine, NP....its the 'PLAYSTERS' who just pretend to be big fish...push the limits of the bidding to feel big..knowing they won't or don't intend to really buy. In my case the bidder was given the opportunity to make monthly payments...and still declined saying he thought somebody else would bid higher, they kicked out  of Ha.com and he just come back as somebody else and keep YOU AND ME PAYING MORE FOR AUCTION ITEMS THAT WE REALLY INTEND TO OWN. The other time...was also at Ha.com....the bidder did not mean to put that amount...1.e the next bid four days later prior to the auction...then Ha just adjusted the bid back...that is the type of bidder that is testing the limits of the underbidder...what a bunch of scum.

8 hours ago, Pickie said:

@Mmehdy: As a foreign collector and now in my 40s I would never have thought that one day I would communicate in the same - albeit virtual - forum as the guy who made the very first headlines with the purchase of an old comic book for "crazy" money. I like your posts, although still waiting for one that I might have a substantial response for. Over and out.

welcome and bring it on.....

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

low ball with the intention of buying is just fine, NP....its the 'PLAYSTERS' who just pretend to be big fish...push the limits of the bidding to feel big..knowing they won't or don't intend to really buy. In my case the bidder was given the opportunity to make monthly payments...and still declined saying he thought somebody else would bid higher, they kicked out  of Ha.com and he just comes roaring  back as somebody else and keep YOU AND ME PAYING MORE FOR AUCTION ITEMS THAT WE REALLY INTEND TO OWN. The other time...was also at Ha.com....the bidder did not mean to put that amount...1.e the next bid four days prior to the auction.. after making a number of bids prior...then Ha just adjusted the bid back...that is the type of bidder that is testing the limits of the underbidder...what a bunch of scum.

9 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
10 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

low ball with the intention of buying is just fine, NP....its the 'PLAYSTERS' who just pretend to be big fish...push the limits of the bidding to feel big..knowing they won't or don't intend to really buy. In my case the bidder was given the opportunity to make monthly payments...and still declined saying he thought somebody else would bid higher, they kicked out  of Ha.com and he just come back as somebody else and keep YOU AND ME PAYING MORE FOR AUCTION ITEMS THAT WE REALLY INTEND TO OWN. The other time...was also at Ha.com....the bidder did not mean to put that amount...1.e the next bid four days later prior to the auction...then Ha just adjusted the bid back...that is the type of bidder that is testing the limits of the underbidder...what a bunch of scum.

Wow, so you are basically saying that Heritage does not have a very good vetting process as to who is allowed to bid on their auctions.  Surprised to hear that a major auction house would allow this type of activity to take place without checking the credentials of their bidders, or is it only being done on lots which you happen to consign to them.  (shrug)

Based upon your consignments to Heritage so far, approximately what percentage of them would you say are resulting in this type of activity whereby the bidder is refusing to pay for the lots which they have won.  hm

So, when are you going to relist these unpaid lots so that we can get a second crack at these runs of Hit's and National comics?  :baiting:  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, so you are basically saying that Heritage does not have a very good vetting process as to who is allowed to bid on their auctions.  Surprised to hear that a major auction house would allow this type of activity to take place without checking the credentials of their bidders, or is it only being done on lots which you happen to consign to them.  (shrug)

Based upon your consignments to Heritage so far, approximately what percentage of them would you say are resulting in this type of activity whereby the bidder is refusing to pay for the lots which they have won.  hm

So, when are you going to relist these unpaid lots so that we can get a second crack at these runs of Hit's and National comics?  :baiting:  lol

the good news if that Ha relisted the item in the next auction and gave me a discount on the fees paid, which I think was very classy on their part. The item did sell but for under the prior minimum price by $2500 as they lowered the reserve. I think as you are aware every auction house gets played...some of the more common ones are out of Ha's control....for example you are allowed only one cut bid per lot..meaning that if the next bid was to be increased by 1000 buck you could cut bid at $500...sometimes I have seen 3 or 4 cuts bids back to back...if you have two account numbers or more you can cut bid more that is allowed by the auction house. A number of consigners end with the material back in their collection after their friends "buy it back" we have discussed this on the boards more than time, this can go on and on..I have been burned many different ways over the years. So what can you do...bid honorably and hope everybody else does....that is the way I do, but I have been forced to pay over the years much more due to the "Lookie Loo's" which never intend to really own the item in auction...ever

On 2017-03-11 at 11:19 PM, Enucleator said:

No worries!  Another highlight for me was the Church Fantastic 1. Due to the case lighting, it was impossible to get a good pic, but it's an incredible 9.8!

Is there an earlier CGC 9.8 of a GA book? Anybody know?

It was stunning to see.

On 2017-03-12 at 0:02 AM, lou_fine said:

.the 'Tec 1 and More Fun 73 looks pretty nice and is that a Conserved or Universal 5.0 graded copy of Detective 27? 

The MF #73 was a book that was for sale at the NYCC with another dealer a couple of years ago  IIRC so it's not Berk's.

The Detective #27 CGC 5.0 was a Universal 5.0. Also not Berks. Metro had it available at their booth in NYC last October.

19 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
On 3/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, lou_fine said:

.the 'Tec 1 and More Fun 73 looks pretty nice and is that a Conserved or Universal 5.0 graded copy of Detective 27? 

The MF #73 was a book that was for sale at the NYCC with another dealer a couple of years ago  IIRC so it's not Berk's.

The Detective #27 CGC 5.0 was a Universal 5.0. Also not Berks. Metro had it available at their booth in NYC last October.

Well aware of that as we were talking about books on display by Metro that were apart from Jon's collection:gossip:

On 3/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Sqeggs said:

Apart from the Berk books, Metro didn't have that much on display.

IMG_0417.jpg

13 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:
On 3/15/2017 at 0:39 PM, Mmehdy said:

On 3/15/2017 at 0:46 PM, MrBedrock said: