• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:
11 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

if i don't end up with a couple church foxes, it won't be for a lack of trying.  VIGOROUS trying.

Good luck snagging at least a couple

I wonder if there's any chance a deep pocket collector is going to come in and try to keep some of these Church Fox runs intact, especially considering that they've been this way for almost the past 80 years ?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I wonder if there's any chance a deep pocket collector is going to come in and try to keep some of these Church Fox runs intact, especially considering that they've been this way for almost the past 80 years ?  hm

I would say close to 100% chance.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Which of the Fox runs will you be going after so that we can make sure you pay through the teeth to get these books before they get shipped off to HK?  :baiting:  lol

When I was at Wonder con had a chance to discuss the impact of this collection on the market with Mr. Bedrock, as well as HA folks...I agree that it will create new  price thresholds especially the Fox books..which should be a positive aspect of this material coming on the market, to me the original art should also come in  at record prices, just breaking up the collection to me seems more sense in 3 auctions over one year...so be it..

I saw a post by Jon in the Planet thread and wondered whether it was a recreation in color.  I kind of like it with a little color but wonder if it is by the original artist.

Planet recreation JB.jpg

That is a color recreation drawn by Zolnerowich back in the 70s.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, lou_fine said:
On 4/7/2017 at 8:09 PM, tth2 said:
On 4/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Which of the Fox runs will you be going after so that we can make sure you pay through the teeth to get these books before they get shipped off to HK?  :baiting:  lol

On a more serious note, although it would certainly be fantastic for some of these Church Fox runs to finally be broken up and get into the hands of collectors, it would also be kind of sad to see them not be intact after such a long period of time.

After all, I believe some of these Church Fox runs in its almost 80 years of existence have only passed through less than a handful of collectors from Edgar himself to Burrell to Bob to Jon and now finally to whoever wins them in a couple of short months from now. 

10 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Well, look what happened with the Church Pep run (sky-high prices, perhaps purchased by the same entity) so who knows.

The Church 'Blue Ribbons' I thought were surprisingly quite less than the Peps in the HA Auctions that followed.  

5 hours ago, sagii said:
5 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Well, look what happened with the Church Pep run (sky-high prices, perhaps purchased by the same entity) so who knows.

The Church 'Blue Ribbons' I thought were surprisingly quite less than the Peps in the HA Auctions that followed.  

Not that much of a surprise to me since the Pep run is a higher profile title and definitely has much more demand in the marketplace as compared to the Blue Ribbon run. 

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
9 hours ago, sagii said:
9 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Not that much of a surprise to me since the Pep run is a higher profile title and definitely has much more demand in the marketplace as compared to the Blue Ribbon run. 

The MH Hit run is a better comparison to the Peps in terms of desirability.  They went for some very strong prices. 

10 hours ago, tth2 said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:
20 hours ago, sagii said:
20 hours ago, sacentaur said:

The MH Hit run is a better comparison to the Peps in terms of desirability.  They went for some very strong prices. 

+1

Now, that's definitely a much more even match with the Pep's and the Hit's in the same ring.  (thumbsu

Pretty tough to pick between the two of them, but I would probably go for the Hit's myself.  Especially with some of the classic Hit covers putting them over the finish line first.  :cloud9:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Now, that's definitely a much more even match with the Pep's and the Hit's in the same ring.  (thumbsu

Pretty tough to pick between the two of them, but I would probably go for the Hit's myself.  Especially with some of the classic Hit covers putting them over the finish line first.  :cloud9:

I was making a comparison MLJ to MLJ, but to your point, even if there was competitive bidding, if the title isn't as hot it wouldn't be comparative even if they're both Church runs. But Lou, if it were say, Church Cap's to Church Subby's would there be the same kind of gap the Peps and Blue Ribbons had assuming Cap is a more demand Timely than Sub Mariner?

18 hours ago, tth2 said:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

hit run for me.

5 hours ago, sagii said:

I was making a comparison MLJ to MLJ, but to your point, even if there was competitive bidding, if the title isn't as hot it wouldn't be comparative even if they're both Church runs. But Lou, if it were say, Church Cap's to Church Subby's would there be the same kind of gap the Peps and Blue Ribbons had assuming Cap is a more demand Timely than Sub Mariner?

It looks like price comparison wise they went Pep, Hit, then Blue Ribbon. Peps blew the Hits out of the water. 

Now respectfully i would rather have the Peps and the Blue Ribbons than the Hits even though i enjoy those a lot as well. I'm going to go run back to the hills now?

Edited by gino2paulus2
I wasn't even close to be a player in any of them just an innocent bystander watching with popcorn in the stands

47 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

It looks like price comparison wise they went Pep, Hit, then Blue Ribbon. Peps blew the Hits out of the water. 

Now respectfully i would rather have the Peps and the Blue Ribbons than the Hits even though i enjoy those a lot as well. I'm going to go run back to the hills now?

lol

well im with you on that score, I would take the other two runs with Hit placing third in that race (even so, my 'Hit #7' is in the 'from my cold dead hands' box in my collection). 

Edited by sagii

17 minutes ago, sagii said:

lol

well im with you on that score, I would take the other two runs with Hit placing third in that race (even so, my 'Hit #7' is in the 'from my cold dead hands' box I'm my collection). 

Yes there a are few exceptions in each of the runs i would rather have like #1 and #7 of the Hits and a few others so yes i agree. 

If price were not a factor and you had to take X amount of issues from each run but it had to be just from 1 run i would take the MLJs all day as you would as well so hurry up Corey i got a head start to the hills you better sprint if you want to catch up I can see torches and pitchforks already ?

In the end it's just a personal preference as i would be honored to own any book from any of those magnificent Ped runs they are all spectacular 

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Yes there a are few exceptions in each of the runs i would rather have like #1 and #7 of the Hits and a few others so yes i agree. 

If price were not a factor and you had to take X amount of issues from each run but it had to be just from 1 run i would take the MLJs all day as you would as well so hurry up Corey i got a head start to the hills you better sprint if you want to catch up I can see torches and pitchforks already ?

In the end it's just a personal preference as i would be honored to own any book from any of those magnificent Ped runs they are all spectacular 

( que the closing music theme from the 'Incredible Hulk ' tv show)I'm already on the highway, backpack on full of slabs, thumb out...

but seriously, you're right it'd be an honor to own any Church book from either run.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:52 AM, lou_fine said:

On a more serious note, although it would certainly be fantastic for some of these Church Fox runs to finally be broken up and get into the hands of collectors, it would also be kind of sad to see them not be intact after such a long period of time.

After all, I believe some of these Church Fox runs in its almost 80 years of existence have only passed through less than a handful of collectors from Edgar himself to Burrell to Bob to Jon and now finally to whoever wins them in a couple of short months from now. 

Hmm. Why sad exactly? Wouldn't the opportunity for multiple people (e.g., boardies) to own a slice of this amazing comic book history outweigh whatever nostalgia there might be keeping the collection together, which is to say, being in the sole possession of one person? I guess it's the Robin Hood in me... (shrug)