• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Great question....

valiantman runs those stats, or used to, on the census.  I'm sure he would know or could find out

For all of those board members like me who were not lucky enough to attend Jon's big Gallery Exhibition, it looks like Scoop did a nice write=up on the event.  Sounds as though it was a good time for all who were lucky enough to attend:

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1018?ArticleID=191817

And since a written story always goes better with pictures, the books discussed in the Scoop article can be seen below.

I just never get tired of looking at pictures like these:  :cloud9:

On 3/11/2017 at 7:40 PM, Sqeggs said:

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sqeggs said:

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Thanks for the link to Scoop, didn't catch that. According to those pics over there, some younger folks were attending, too. Interesting!

There were quite few people jammed into that relatively small space, including many younger fans/collectors.  They were still arriving when I had to duck out after about 45 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There were quite few people jammed into that relatively small space, including many younger fans/collectors.  They were still arriving when I had to duck out after about 45 minutes. 

Jon was VERY psyched about his Funny Pages #35 with the Gustavson Arrow cover (glass case, bottom row).

7 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Jon was VERY psyched about his Funny Pages #35 with the Gustavson Arrow cover (glass case, bottom row).

There is a funny pages 42 in the glass case but I do not see the 35? 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Yes, definitely FP 42, as Funny Pages 35 is the beautiful multi-colored snowbound cover with the bear on it.  :cloud9: 

On 3/14/2017 at 6:24 PM, Robot Man said:

Jon is going to make life changing money on this collection. Most books will sell for very good prices. Some will sell for stupid money. No matter what they go for, he will make a substantial profit on his initial investment on every piece. He bought most of them back when prices were a joke by today's prices.

As Jon has been saying on the boards ever since he got here.......if he had to pay these current prices for the books, he never would have been able to compile the collection which he currently has.

For anybody that has been collecting for the past 30+ years or so, let along for the past 40+ years like Jon has, the cost of the individual auction fees and grading by themselves alone, will most likely be a lot more than his initial purchase cost for each the books in the first place.  hm  :bigsmile:

On 3/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, sagii said:

Did Jon have any LooneyTunes, Disney,  Teen or Romance?

None that I recall seeing.  All of his Atomic Age books were sold years ago.

Any idea if Jon would have a lot of 2nd tier DC character books such as mid runs of Sensation, All-Flash, Green Lanterns, etc. left in his personal collection that will become available in this upcoming auction?  ???

I am sure that he must already have virtually all of the early keys in most of the mainstream DC runs.

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Sorry, my bad. I stand corrected (of course G.A.tor would catch this!): Funny Pages 42.

5 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Sorry, my bad. I stand corrected (of course G.A.tor would catch this!): Funny Pages 42.

He doesn't miss Centaurs (:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if Jon would have a lot of 2nd tier DC character books such as mid runs of Sensation, All-Flash, Green Lanterns, etc. left in his personal collection that will become available in this upcoming auction?  ???

I am sure that he must already have virtually all of the early keys in most of the mainstream DC runs.

Jon was never a big DC superhero fan.  His DC focus was on the earliest books and the classic big keys, a few of which like Sensation 1 and All Star 8 are already gone.