• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Speaking of Laimbeer and his reputation for physical play when i was young we had a video game called Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. It was futuristic and you could literally blow people up on the court. The game took place in the year 2030. Bill Laimbeer had become commissioner of a basketball league, fired the referees and created a style of play without rules and shoving was encouraged. There were no fouls and the use of weapons was perfectly legal. It was actually pretty fun at the time haha!! 

xyrabcscvwpvod4exl9a.jpg

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The rules are different now. Those old team's would have physically beaten them into submission. I can't imagine Curry or Durant winning a shoving match with Rodman, Akeem, Laimbeer, etc.

And if those 80s teams had to play by modern rules they would all foul out by the half.

Also the lesser training/conditioning make me think a run and gun offense would wear out a lot of those older guys even in their prime.

22 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

And if those 80s teams had to play by modern rules they would all foul out by the half.

Also the lesser training/conditioning make me think a run and gun offense would wear out a lot of those older guys even in their prime.

Very valid point -- also, we gotta remember, many of the Old Guard were frequently on booze or drugs or both.  No superstar today in his right mind would risk that kind of lifestyle, for reasons of performance and image.

Edited by exitmusicblue

I don't think the old teams could beat the best teams of today.  These guys are far more athletic.  And they have absorbed ALL the best moves of ALL previous players who were so special in their day.  The moderns teams guys are (nearly) all like Jordan's, making moves that very few could do twenty years ago, let alone 30 or more.

time marches on.  It's like Doomsdays origin (in a small way!) time has honed today's kids os they are making moves they've have seen on TV and improved them.

heres a better example-- extreme sports.  Used to be you could to a flip in the air and make people ooh and ahhh.  Now you have to do a triple with rotations and twists and let go of whatever you were jumping with just to be average.

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

In five days, I guess the answer will be "no."

I think he kept his favorites...I know a few he still has so the answer is actually "yes"

Edited by G.A.tor

17 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Or is it the other way round? Could Comic Connect be trying to divert us away from a serious discussion about basketball? hm

If this were hockey it would be more palatable?  Just sayin. 

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
49 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

In five days, I guess the answer will be "no."

I think he kept his favorites...I know a few he still has so the answer is actually "yes"

Do I get partial credit? hm

9 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

If this were hockey it would be more palatable?  Just sayin. 

Unfortunately, my Predators couldn't stretch it to a seventh game.  You wouldn't believe how electric the city of Nashville has been ever since the sweep of the Blackhawks.  It has been a wild ride.

Hey dudes and dudettes, the humble voice of ComicConnect  comes to you with a proclamation:

The beginning of the end is tonight, so don't hesitate to call with any last minute questions 1-888-779-7377

In general we're in the office Monday through Friday, 10am to 6pm EDT, but we'll have assistance available the entire time the auction is ending this week, so don't hesitate to call. Also, FYI, calling and direct email to support@comicconnect is the preferred way to get in touch. Point is, if you message us on Facebook at 10:PM on Friday night, chances are it will not be seen until Monday of the next week. 

55173-KrustyAction1c.jpg