• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, skypinkblu said:

thought about offering them here.

Then I read some of the comments on this thread. I think I'll skip that for now...and donate them in town.

This is the type of thing I expected to happen. You have always made the boards fun, even giving away free masks to kids during the (censored).  Now, because some only see things in black or white, or more likely dollar signs, even you are hesitant to do nice things because it’s not worth it.  Thats a shame :(

On 9/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, CAHokie said:
On 9/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, skypinkblu said:

thought about offering them here.

Then I read some of the comments on this thread. I think I'll skip that for now...and donate them in town.

This is the type of thing I expected to happen. You have always made the boards fun, even giving away free masks to kids during the (censored).  Now, because some only see things in black or white, or more likely dollar signs, even you are hesitant to do nice things because it’s not worth it.  Thats a shame :(

That wouldn't have happened to Sha, who imo is broadly liked.  I'd wager personalities and peeves often affect the conversations.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, grebal said:

That wouldn't have happened to Sha, who imo is broadly liked.  I'd wager personalities and peeves often affect the conversations.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, CAHokie said:

I appreciate the kind words. However,  when I was giving away masks and toys someone reported me, I just never made a fuss about it.  So no one is exempt. 

Does revealing personal drama in an effort to sell books make prospective buyers: (i) more likely to buy from a seller; (ii) less likely to buy from a seller; or (iii) have no effect whatsoever as long as there are Cool Books?

I know the effect it has on me but curious if I am alone.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, Ryan. said:

Does revealing personal drama in an effort to sell books make prospective buyers: (i) more likely to buy from a seller; (ii) less likely to buy from a seller; or (iii) have no effect whatsoever as long as there are Cool Books?

Probably (ii), unless it's someone I know well.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, Ryan. said:

Depends on “drama” and the person. Someone I know or respect says they are have a medical crisis, more likely.

Someone I don’t know that gives a long winded story of not having money for rent, dog ran away, wife took off with a trucker, etc… less likely.  Too much of a chance of it being a scam or made up to tug on heart strings.  

I have never understood how a few people on here in the past that appear to be living check to check and one flat tire away from losing everything, still have money to put the :takeit:in numerous threads.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:30 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Years ago an established member ran a sales thread ostensibly to raise money to help cover some medical expenses. I bought a few books, nothing I really needed, merely to be supportive. Not long after, this fellow was dropping :takeit:around and about. When questioned about the situation, the response was that the surgery was indeed needed but not urgent. I felt like a first class

sucker.jpg

:popcorn:

On 9/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Ryan. said:

I'm a pretty skeptical person at heart so I generally look with jaundiced eye at that kind of thing.  However, if it's a book or books I need/want and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't refuse to buy based on the sob story.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm a pretty skeptical person at heart so I generally look with jaundiced eye at that kind of thing.  However, if it's a book or books I need/want and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't refuse to buy based on the sob story.

It's when they take it to the "guilt trip" level that I tune out.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, CAHokie said:

Someone reported you….for giving superhero masks to little kids so they would feel better during a scary time foe them…. If the person who did that is reading this, you are a pathetic excuse for a human being. 

I got reported once for posting this. :wishluck:

On 2/6/2014 at 6:27 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Anyone have any experience with a Jason Sloven of Bayside New York?

He wanted to trade me for my DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8 for a Hulk 181 raw.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

So anyways, today I get this message.

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

hmm

Edited by Jimmy Linguini