• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Threadkrapping. (thumbs u

Addressed

Thanks Chris.

I knew some knucklehead was going to make a comment. This place has been getting interesting as of late.

We overreacted Dre....it seems it was just a joke. The complete lack of smiley ( lol , :roflmao: , or :jokealert: ), lack of humor, and the fact that it was smack dab in the middle of your sales thread notwithstanding.

:tonofbricks:

I have a situation that I would like the community to help resolve,

Last December, I sold 3 books to Hustruck. Hulk 180, 181, 182 for $1200

I purchased all 3 books on the boards, 180/182 from one seller, 181 from another seller.

The grades were

180 VF/NM

181 VF

182 VF-

I kept the same grades as the previous sellers, except bumped the 181 .5 as I felt it was closer to that grade.

Hustruck recently contacted me to tell me that both the 180 and 182 did not meet the grades I assigned (180 6.5 and 182 7.0) and 180 also came back as a purple label.

I asked what the Hulk 181 received and he confirmed it was an 8.5.

Hustruck wanted to return the 180 and 182 because the grades were incorrect and the 180 came back restored. He mentioned that I said both were NM- but in fact my ad stated the grades I had above, which were the same ones as the original seller/owner. He wanted $350 back for both copies + grade fees. I had the books for $300 and the Hulk 181 for $900.

I mentioned to him that I would take all 3 back for the original price + grade fees

At this point he said he wanted to keep both 181 and 182 and only return the 180. I said I did not want to refund the entire book and would entertain a partial return based on my response from the previous owner/seller.

I contacted the previous owner and explained what happened. I told him that my buyer was requesting a partial refund (he hadn't disclosed the $ value he was looking for). The previous owner has not gotten back to me with a response if he will refund any of my original purchase price ($300)

I notified Hustruck that I would give him $20 (unless the original owner gives me anything) as I feel that overall on the deal he has done quite well (hulk 181 8.5 GPA is $1500) whereas he feels he should at least get $100.

I have explained to all parties that I would bring this to discussion and go based on those recommendations.

Furthermore, I had another book I purchased with restoration from a different seller. The deal was completed last month and because the book was part of a bigger deal that included some major keys, I notified the seller but did not ask for a refund or partial on the book. I felt that my deal was good enough that regardless of the condition of that particular book (FF14) that I was still ahead and did not think it was warranted.

So thoughts?

Edited by jsilverjanet

Return all books and refund the amount + grading, shipping is not refundable. Buying raw has its own risk, you can't blame everything to the seller. If it's obvious bleeing color touch, missing coupon or cutout and not disclosed at the sale thread then it is fully refund. Otherwise i don't feel seller be responsible for purple label; they are buyer as well, how many times you have to trace back to the original seller, just not right.

If he disputed your grades when he got the books, maybe, but after he sent them to cgc?

No dice.

+1

Except if you sold them claiming no restoration. Either he does not like the transaction and you can offer a full refund (which you did) or he is satisfied and keeps all the books. You've given him a choice which is more than fair.

I purchased all 3 books on the boards, 180/182 from one seller, 181 from another seller.

The grades were

180 VF/NM

181 VF

182 VF-

I kept the same grades as the previous sellers, except bumped the 181 .5 as I felt it was closer to that grade.

Hustruck recently contacted me to tell me that both the 180 and 182 did not meet the grades I assigned (180 6.5 and 182 7.0) and 180 also came back as a purple label.

Hustruck wanted to return the 180 and 182 because the grades were incorrect and the 180 came back restored. He mentioned that I said both were NM- but in fact my ad stated the grades I had above, which were the same ones as the original seller/owner. He wanted $350 back for both copies + grade fees. I had the books for $300 and the Hulk 181 for $900.

I mentioned to him that I would take all 3 back for the original price + grade fees

At this point he said he wanted to keep both 181 and 182 and only return the 180. I said I did not want to refund the entire book and would entertain a partial return based on my response from the previous owner/seller.

I contacted the previous owner and explained what happened. I told him that my buyer was requesting a partial refund (he hadn't disclosed the $ value he was looking for). The previous owner has not gotten back to me with a response if he will refund any of my original purchase price ($300)

I notified Hustruck that I would give him $20 (unless the original owner gives me anything) as I feel that overall on the deal he has done quite well (hulk 181 8.5 GPA is $1500) whereas he feels he should at least get $100.

I have explained to all parties that I would bring this to discussion and go based on those recommendations.

Furthermore, I had another book I purchased with restoration from a different seller. The deal was completed last month and because the book was part of a bigger deal that included some major keys, I notified the seller but did not ask for a refund or partial on the book. I felt that my deal was good enough that regardless of the condition of that particular book (FF14) that I was still ahead and did not think it was warranted.

So thoughts?

He bought the 3 books in a bulk deal - if he wants a refund (which, granted, should include the grading fees), he needs to send all 3 books back.

First of all, no one can guarantee what grade a book is going to come back from CGC. Even if these books were pre-screened, there still is not 100% certainty on the grades.

There also seems to be quite a big spread between the stated raw grades and what they actually came back as. There's a huge difference between a 6.5 and a 9.0. A decent grader should be able to spot the difference quick.

The only question I have here is this. Are we certain these were the same books he bought that he submitted?

The grades were

180 VF/NM

181 VF

182 VF-

So thoughts?

He bought the 3 books in a bulk deal - if he wants a refund (which, granted, should include the grading fees), he needs to send all 3 books back.

I think its necessarily different if one of the books is subsequently found to be restored. A restored book is not the same book with a different grade, it is a different book with a different market metric.

This is a different issue from whether the buyer's evaluation of a refund is fair or accurate, I'm merely saying that I think resto changes the situation.

Yes it's the same books. I confirmed with the original seller and I also asked an impartial boardie to review the pics

As for the grade, the book was not a 6.5 I can assure you of that

I can post pics when I get home

The book was also in the PGM thread and i believe it got scores near the VF/NM

Yes it's the same books. I confirmed with the original seller and I also asked an impartial boardie to review the pics

As for the grade, the book was not a 6.5 I can assure you of that

I can post pics when I get home

The book was also in the PGM thread and i believe it got scores near the VF/NM

link please. i'd like see that book.