• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Brock posted a few days ago regarding an Avengers 1 CGC 5.0 and I have some more info on the seller. I posted in the Comics General earlier about this earlier, so here you go:

This whole thing started right after Columbia Comics took the Avengers #1 for $1900. Once I saw that price I knew something wasn't quite right, so I sent Relicscity a message to see what else they were planning on selling. They soon replied saying that they had an FF #1 CGC 3.5, Hulk #1 CGC 2.0 and an X-Men 1 CGC 6.5. First, I asked for a price for the FF #1 to which they replied $2900. I wasn't too sure about the sellers intentions at this point in our conversation, so I thought I would help by sending a GPA screenshot of a 3.5 FF 1 and explaining that the picture included recent sales. They completely ignored the screenshot and asked if I would be interested in the Hulk. I asked for a price and scans and they replied $2800 and provided this scan:

32_zpsdn3vi3xr.jpg

The copy looked great and I figured out that it sold in 2008 for $1325. Obviously I was thinking this was way to good to be true, but I though I would play it out.

I asked for a phone number to discuss the sale and figured they would stop replying, but I did receive a number. I spoke to Tina for about five minutes regarding her books and how she acquired them. Apparently her father passed away and left five to ten slabs for her to sell. She sounded really confused the entire conversation and hung up on me when I asked for the cert number for FF #1. Soon after I received a text with the cert number and an excuse for the "call failure." I also thought it was fishy that her area code was from Tennessee, yet she claimed that she was from Florida.

The next day I replied and ask for a second picture of the Hulk 1. I finally received a couple of pictures today:

image_zpsxeuqczhb.jpg

image_zpsccj3novk.jpg

The photoshop job is a little better in the first one. Needless to say, this is a complete scam.

Here are some of the other books that may be showing up on the forums soon:

Cert #: 0210047001

11_zpsuy1ebi5r.jpg

According to her, the X-Men #1 has been sold on Etsy...

78_zpswm7zz2nc.jpg

image_zpsoj9zvlzh.jpg

Cert #: 0237485001

image_zpsezqkod6s.jpg

I'm posting this entire explanation hoping that no one will fall for this scam. Her eBay name is Relics-City. I'm tempted to post her phone number, but it would be better if I didn't.

-Al

hm that spiderman 10...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOCTOR-STRANGE-49-CGC-9-6-NM-ROGERS-AUSTIN-COVER-ID-5647-/171900984755?hash=item280618ddb3

check the sellers backdrop

xxx ooo

Rupp

When is using PayPal personal 'generally' okay to buy stuff. I sincerely ask, because I do pay that way when I'm asked and don't when I'm not. Is that what you mean?

Dan

Well, I partially put "generally" because I dislike stating absolutes. But I would say things that are similar to the items that PayPal references - say there's a 2-for-1 sale and I go in with a friend to buy two, and I pay my friend half via PayPal. Or like in the charity threads mentioned, even if it wasn't "officially" sanctioned by calling first, if you were buying something to help someone out, particularly if you were friends with the person. That sort of thing.

But just a usual transaction between two people? Not so much.

When is using PayPal personal 'generally' okay to buy stuff. I sincerely ask, because I do pay that way when I'm asked and don't when I'm not. Is that what you mean?

Dan

Well, I partially put "generally" because I dislike stating absolutes. But I would say things that are similar to the items that PayPal references - say there's a 2-for-1 sale and I go in with a friend to buy two, and I pay my friend half via PayPal. Or like in the charity threads mentioned, even if it wasn't "officially" sanctioned by calling first, if you were buying something to help someone out, particularly if you were friends with the person. That sort of thing.

.... this is me as well. I feel that when I signed up to use Paypal I agreed to certain conditions which I try to respect. I have people offer to use Personal and I usually ask them not to. It's more difficult to account for in record keeping and on a more quantitative note, it negates my seller's protection and my ability to link "tracking" to a sale. I actually like Paypal..... and they can't do their thing for free. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Dan

.... this is me as well. I feel that when I signed up to use Paypal I agreed to certain conditions which I try to respect. I have people offer to use Personal and I usually ask them not to. It's more difficult to account for in record keeping and on a more quantitative note, it negates my seller's protection and my ability to link "tracking" to a sale. I actually like Paypal..... and they can't do their thing for free. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

(thumbs u

Dan

I'm posting this entire explanation hoping that no one will fall for this scam. Her eBay name is Relics-City. I'm tempted to post her phone number, but it would be better if I didn't.

-Al

I wish you'd post it. I'm tired of this fatbroad trying to rip people off!!

-Al

I did post it on my Comics General thread, but the mods took it down.

-Al

I did post it on my Comics General thread, but the mods took it down.

Thank you for at least trying :)

As mentioned before, there are people here who have lost that ability, and it makes it very hard to pay them back for Artist fees, or grading fees, or any of the other "pass through" fees that Personal was intended for. They complain about the fee, but if they hadn't been chowderheads to begin with, they wouldn't have lost the ability.

Please explain why these "pass through" outlays which are out-of-pocket business expenses associated with someone (your friend) doing business and getting paid for doing it......is considered by you to be the same as paying back someone for lunch and not subject to fees?

:popcorn:

Artist charges $10 per sig. I get 20 books signed. Artist charges $200. Facilitator pays that $200.

That $200 is paid back by me to the Facilitator via Paypal personal, and has nothing to do with the charge the Facilitator may charge me for their service. The facilitator didn't make any money on that aspect of the situation. They simply paid the artist on my behalf.

That's one of the things Paypal personal is for, specifically, as defined.

No it is not.

Personal Payments are specifically defined in Paypal's T&Cs

16. Definitions: "Personal Payment" means amounts sent between two individuals (not to or from a business) without a purchase. Examples of Personal Payments include sending a gift to a friend or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill.

It's not about WHO you're sending money to that is the issue with Paypal...it is WHY you're sending money. That's why they don't bother with what someone's "friend" may be, and is this person a merchant, and is that person not a merchant, and all sorts of needlessly complex scenarios.

Of course it is about Who you are sending money to. That is why they reference using it for "friends and family" and specifically exclude payments "to or from a business"

The only reason they cover the WHY is due to people stretching the definition of "friends".

You will note that all of the examples they use, such as "Gift, Living Expense (like rent or utilities), Reimbursing a friend for your share of a restaurant check, or Repaying money that a family member loaned you" are in no way business expenses.

When I do work on someone's books, and they ask me to send the books to CGC on their behalf under my account, I ask for TWO payments: one for the CGC charges, which is a PERSONAL payment...and the other for MY services, which is a GOOD/SERVICE payment, for which I pay the fee.

When you are sending payments to facilitators and when your customers are sending payments to you, these transactions are business transactions, to and from a business.

As mentioned before, there are people here who have lost that ability, and it makes it very hard to pay them back for Artist fees, or grading fees, or any of the other "pass through" fees that Personal was intended for. They complain about the fee, but if they hadn't been chowderheads to begin with, they wouldn't have lost the ability.

Please explain why these "pass through" outlays which are out-of-pocket business expenses associated with someone (your friend) doing business and getting paid for doing it......is considered by you to be the same as paying back someone for lunch and not subject to fees?

:popcorn:

Artist charges $10 per sig. I get 20 books signed. Artist charges $200. Facilitator pays that $200.

That $200 is paid back by me to the Facilitator via Paypal personal, and has nothing to do with the charge the Facilitator may charge me for their service. The facilitator didn't make any money on that aspect of the situation. They simply paid the artist on my behalf.

That's one of the things Paypal personal is for, specifically, as defined.

No it is not.

Personal Payments are specifically defined in Paypal's T&Cs

16. Definitions: "Personal Payment" means amounts sent between two individuals (not to or from a business) without a purchase. Examples of Personal Payments include sending a gift to a friend or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill.

It's not about WHO you're sending money to that is the issue with Paypal...it is WHY you're sending money. That's why they don't bother with what someone's "friend" may be, and is this person a merchant, and is that person not a merchant, and all sorts of needlessly complex scenarios.

Of course it is about Who you are sending money to. That is why they reference using it for "friends and family" and specifically exclude payments "to or from a business"

The only reason they cover the WHY is due to people stretching the definition of "friends".

You will note that all of the examples they use, such as "Gift, Living Expense (like rent or utilities), Reimbursing a friend for your share of a restaurant check, or Repaying money that a family member loaned you" are in no way business expenses.

When I do work on someone's books, and they ask me to send the books to CGC on their behalf under my account, I ask for TWO payments: one for the CGC charges, which is a PERSONAL payment...and the other for MY services, which is a GOOD/SERVICE payment, for which I pay the fee.

When you are sending payments to facilitators and when your customers are sending payments to you, these transactions are business transactions, to and from a business.

giphy.gif