• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I don't see why a buyer should eat return shipping charges if the books are not as described.

Easy. The buyer needs an ounce of responsibility in deciding to return any item. No seller should agree to let a buyer completely off the hook because of a NM vs NM- situation.

I'm not going to argue with you Jeff just because you love to do it. :sorry:

I asked several specific questions that were important to me regarding condition and printing and relied on the responses from the seller. If he had told me the true condition of the books or that the first prints were really second prints/reprints, I would have passed.

But if you want to simplify the discussion and try to paint me as a buyer with unreasonable expectations regarding condition and portray the seer as a victim of pile ons and bullying then so be it. :foryou:

Wow.

Do not enjoy. Do not avoid.

For me , as a buyer, it would be a learning experience to ask for pictures or deal with more experienced sellers.

I am trying to simplify because, as usual, there are a bunch of unneccessary posts and the seller's second language is English.

a NM vs NM- situation.

:D

Did you even read that several weren't even in bags? About a third or more had no boards?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinion on the matter. :foryou:

For all the unneccessary posts I did have to skip portions. My apologies. I usually take the time but 147 posts when I have decided to have more fun here just ain't working.

The idea of returns on condition is a slippery slope. Seems this case was over-the-top so I feel for you.

The seller's second language is English?! (:

I spoke to him on the phone and didn't get that impression at all? (shrug)

But maybe you know him better than I do?

That's the impression I got from his posts. lol

I stand by my condition description.

I offered full refund at first complaint.

The dispute was return shipping

I shipped all books, two books were not the printing he was expecting. I can resolve that. My mistake, unfamiliar with the series, He knew that I was confused with the production runs.

Let me tell you where I stand and I already know it doesn't matter to you.

1 - I disagree with your condition description. At the very least ALL books should have been shipped in a manner that maintains the condition. You apparently cannot handle that as not a single book should slip by unbagged and unboarded if you are doing some basic quality control with the items you ship out.

2 - Basic quality control also means that first prints are first prints and second prints are identified as such. Apparently you cannot handle that either.

3 - This is your screwup. Make it right. There is no split shipping when you made the mistake. The customer doesn't want to keep your mistake. He wants you to own up to and take back and fix your mistake.

4 - I work hard for my money so I do not particularly care for headaches. You are a headache of a human being. So, thanks for the eBay handle. I will not deal with you here nor there and do not want to sell to you either. Your money is no good with me. No matter what list, if any, that you wind up on, you are on mine.

Why do you have two eBay accounts? I will look into that later.

If the issue is condition then I don't agree that the seller should reimburse return shipping.

No,

Not even the correct books. Advertised as first prints and the buyer received second prints.

Condition does not come into play for me in arguments like these BUT if a seller does not ship the books properly to maintain the advertised condition then that falls on the seller. You would expect me to ship a glass vase in a box with padding and not simply toss it in wouldn't you? Same holds true on comics. I expect the seller to ship a item with a reasonable degree of effort to ensure a book arrives in the condition advertised.

With that said, accidents happen at times to no fault of the seller. In this case though, the seller made several errors in my eyes. He advertised books he did not have. He did not take precautions to maintain the integrity of his items. The only reason he fixed this was due to mounting pressure.

and its fair that I gave Harvey my ebay accounts in a private message, and he posted them here publicly in a dispute thread?

So you think eBay screen names are private?

I usually don't have any problem with my Ebay accounts being known or seen, however when my ebay accounts are made public attached to a negative post about me as a seller overall, (especially when that information was intended to be private) it can definitely hurt a reputation. In fact although he says that he was trying to give me the benefit of the doubt by posting my account names, in the same breath he publicly proclaimed what I considered NM comics "trash".

Your posts are also doing a good job of this as well.

Harvey just found the comic he said I didn't send him. Does that change your opinion?

No. You are coming off like a jerk. You may not be one, but your posts are sure making it seem that way.

Hey Fingh.... are you sick? I have never seen you this nice lol

I stand by my condition description.

I offered full refund at first complaint.

The dispute was return shipping

I shipped all books, two books were not the printing he was expecting. I can resolve that. My mistake, unfamiliar with the series, He knew that I was confused with the production runs.

Let me tell you where I stand and I already know it doesn't matter to you.

1 - I disagree with your condition description. At the very least ALL books should have been shipped in a manner that maintains the condition. You apparently cannot handle that as not a single book should slip by unbagged and unboarded if you are doing some basic quality control with the items you ship out.

2 - Basic quality control also means that first prints are first prints and second prints are identified as such. Apparently you cannot handle that either.

3 - This is your screwup. Make it right. There is no split shipping when you made the mistake. The customer doesn't want to keep your mistake. He wants you to own up to and take back and fix your mistake.

4 - I work hard for my money so I do not particularly care for headaches. You are a headache of a human being. So, thanks for the eBay handle. I will not deal with you here nor there and do not want to sell to you either. Your money is no good with me. No matter what list, if any, that you wind up on, you are on mine.

Why do you have two eBay accounts? I will look into that later.

If the issue is condition then I don't agree that the seller should reimburse return shipping.

No,

Not even the correct books. Advertised as first prints and the buyer received second prints.

Condition does not come into play for me in arguments like these BUT if a seller does not ship the books properly to maintain the advertised condition then that falls on the seller. You would expect me to ship a glass vase in a box with padding and not simply toss it in wouldn't you? Same holds true on comics. I expect the seller to ship a item with a reasonable degree of effort to ensure a book arrives in the condition advertised.

With that said, accidents happen at times to no fault of the seller. In this case though, the seller made several errors in my eyes. He advertised books he did not have. He did not take precautions to maintain the integrity of his items. The only reason he fixed this was due to mounting pressure.

By the time I posted he had offered to send the 1st prints so I thought the remaining issue was condition. In extreme cases there may be a reason to pay return shipping but 99.9% of the time I would expect the buyer to pay. The balance for me has always been that the buyer pays return shipping and I swallow my original shipping. My thinking is it keeps the buyer honest since there is a cost for a return.

Even with that open policy I've had 3 returns in 10 years so I guess I was doing something right.

Jeff, I don't want to continue with any perceived bashing of the seller at this time because we're engaged in decent dialog right now but his few pictures in his listing showed a handful of the books in the lot - all were bagged and boarded with "NM" stickers.

I PMed him and asked him about the condition and he said "most are NM". I asked him details about six books out of 115 because his lot was very vague. I sent him images of the specific six books in question. He said he checked and confirmed they were all first printings.

One wasn't. Another book I believed to be a first printing turned out to be a Gold Logo reprint.

I think this IS a learning experience for both of us. I guess from his photos and claims that most were NM I had assumed ( :boo: ) they would all be in decent shape and all bagged and boarded like the books in his photos. I figured it was a collection and they'd all be stored similarly. This was my mistake - assuming anything. doh!

But I think the seller made several mistakes in dealing with this somewhat confusing lot. I think he realized that after feeling defensive. I said it from the start - I never thought he was a scammer. I think he made mistakes and it looks like he is now trying to learn from this mistakes and make things right. :cloud9:

Hopefully we'll both learn from this situation. But it wasn't simply a "NM vs NM-" situation.

I see it as a possible case of opening the doors to NM vs NM- so seller must now pay return shipping. That's it. That's all. Carry on.

candy4-sized.jpg