• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Jeff, I like you a lot, but I'm confused. I can see where someone else might be...

If you told me you were selling through MCS I would think I'd be saving you money by buying from you directly, so I'd be lost when you didn't explain. I know you understand what you were talking about, but I guess many other people are not Saturn Girl either. (raise your hand if you are posting in this thread and actually know WHO Saturn Girl is?. )

I can't see any reason for you to be on the probation list, but once again...clear communication could save a lot of smushed feelings.

Maybe you should just skip responding to WTB threads if you don't want to ship directly and just point out your sales in the eBay etc thread?

Not saving money if retro would have to pay the import fees and shipping costs from Canada to US. I think Jeff uses Lone Star/MCS as an intermediary to save on those charges.

Shipping from CGC --> Lone Star --> Customer is cheaper than shipping from CGC --> Jeff --> US Customer.

I was simply tired of explaining myself again.

I told retro that I would list the book on MCS for 74.99 and he could buy it there. He asked why he was buying from a 3rd party. I told him that I ship all my books to them.

When he checked in I said they should be at MCS next week and again he asked why he is buying from them. I simply don't have the patience to repeat what is written 4 posts above his repeated question. I removed myself.

I'm the one taking the hit for the consignment fees and he would be getting a cheaper postage rate. It should be a simple win/win. If he really needs to buy it directly from me then he can pay shipping from MCS to me, including any possible duties and then the postage from me to him. Silliness.

Adding in my 2c. What Junk has said here seemed to be clear in the account retro gave. I am not sure what retro is annoyed about.

I was simply tired of explaining myself again.

I told retro that I would list the book on MCS for 74.99 and he could buy it there. He asked why he was buying from a 3rd party. I told him that I ship all my books to them.

When he checked in I said they should be at MCS next week and again he asked why he is buying from them. I simply don't have the patience to repeat what is written 4 posts above his repeated question. I removed myself.

I'm the one taking the hit for the consignment fees and he would be getting a cheaper postage rate. It should be a simple win/win. If he really needs to buy it directly from me then he can pay shipping from MCS to me, including any possible duties and then the postage from me to him. Silliness.

Adding in my 2c. What Junk has said here seemed to be clear in the account retro gave. I am not sure what retro is annoyed about.

(thumbs u

I assume he assumes that he has lost the chance to buy a book he has been looking for.

The only part that seems a bit confusing is if the book was being "held" for the buyer or was it whoever got to it first.

When I list a book on MCS there is a delay so you really only see he book if I provide the link. I usually arrange a time and sell the book. There is always a chance something will not work but if the book is priced at FMV it tends to sit for a bit after it is available.

The only part that seems a bit confusing is if the book was being "held" for the buyer or was it whoever got to it first.

When I list a book on MCS there is a delay so you really only see he book if I provide the link. I usually arrange a time and sell the book. There is always a chance something will not work but if the book is priced at FMV it tends to sit for a bit after it is available.

Did you explain this to Retro?

Nope. He said nothing like that.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO BACK AND RE READ MY POST.

I am not suppose to read between the lines. :facepalm:

There was no need....yet. It had not reached that point. The book has not arrived at MCS.

His reply: "It is graded at CGC and needs to ship. Probably a couple weeks away. I sell WD so fast that unless you constantly monitor EBay or request me to hold it then it will be gone. I posted because some seemed to be unable to locate issues."

My reply: "Ok so can I request that you hold #37 for me please, as long as it's a 9.8?

I'm ready to buy now and whenever it comes in. Please and thank you"

His reply: "Done. It's 9.8 so I'll be in touch in a couple weeks."

Nope. He said nothing like that.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO BACK AND RE READ MY POST.

I am not suppose to read between the lines. :facepalm:

:facepalm:

Amazing how you are acting like this when I have done nothing to go against our deal. Weird.

If that is everything, gents and Lady ;) , then i'll be on my way. This section of the boards bothers me.

Have fun!

His reply: "It is graded at CGC and needs to ship. Probably a couple weeks away. I sell WD so fast that unless you constantly monitor EBay or request me to hold it then it will be gone. I posted because some seemed to be unable to locate issues."

My reply: "Ok so can I request that you hold #37 for me please, as long as it's a 9.8?

I'm ready to buy now and whenever it comes in. Please and thank you"

His reply: "Done. It's 9.8 so I'll be in touch in a couple weeks."

And will be listed on MCS @ 74.99 for you to buy. Not sure how many times I need to say it.

Oh well, have fun with your rantrant

So requesting you HOLD the book for me, means that I wait for MCS to have it in their system for everyone else to buy and then I am suppose to hope that I have free time to go to their site and buy it?

Oh ok, Now I see. Now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up with me.

Dude, the book was promised to you and I told you how it would be sold. If you had concerns about it then you should have asked. You had no reason to worry.

Have fun!

The ironic part is that if you don't buy the book now I could have you placed on the PL. Funny stuff.

Ok, really gotta go. Anything else?

This keeps coming up, but if you have the following:

Copies of book on the census in grade 1 = 3

Copies of book on the census in grade 2 = 4

Copies of book on the census in the (lower) grade the book you are selling is in = 1

are you selling the eighth highest graded copy or the third highest graded copy?

Seems pretty clear to me that you are selling the eighth highest graded copy, but sellers in this situation sure like to claim they are selling the third highest graded copy.

I also agree but it is the word "copy" that causes the problem. One could say it is "in the third highest grade" and be completely accurate.

In my opinion, 3rd highest graded has always meant in the 3rd highest grade tier.

It may be one of whatever number in that grade tier but it is tied with all of them. Semantics I realize but that is the way grade chasers will understand it. I was one of them.

I just checked back and the thread that provoked my post does use the phrase "third highest graded copy" in reference to a book I would consider the eighth highest graded copy -- that is, there are seven books on the census with higher grades.

But even Roy's wording is misleading. Take ASM 300: There are 574 copies in 9.8 and 1,723 copies in 9.6. If you are selling a 9.4. can you say you are selling the "3rd highest graded"?

That terminology seems like a means to trap the unwary. Perhaps not with respect to ASM 300, where most people would realize that a 9.4 can't possibly be the third highest graded copy, but certainly with a GA book, where a 6.5 (the grade of the book in question here) might actually have been.

Copies of book on the census in the (lower) grade the book you are selling is in = 1

are you selling the eighth highest graded copy or the third highest graded copy?

Seems pretty clear to me that you are selling the eighth highest graded copy, but sellers in this situation sure like to claim they are selling the third highest graded copy.

I also agree but it is the word "copy" that causes the problem. One could say it is "in the third highest grade" and be completely accurate.

In my opinion, 3rd highest graded has always meant in the 3rd highest grade tier.

It may be one of whatever number in that grade tier but it is tied with all of them. Semantics I realize but that is the way grade chasers will understand it. I was one of them.

I just checked back and the thread that provoked my post does use the phrase "third highest graded copy" in reference to a book I would consider the eighth highest graded copy -- that is, there are seven books on the census with higher grades.

But even Roy's wording is misleading. Take ASM 300: There are 574 copies in 9.8 and 1,723 copies in 9.6. If you are selling a 9.4. can you say you are selling the "3rd highest graded"?

That terminology seems like a means to trap the unwary. Perhaps not with respect to ASM 300, where most people would realize that a 9.4 can't possibly be the third highest graded copy, but certainly with a GA book, where a 6.5 (the grade of the book in question here) might actually have been.

If I had a 9.8 in your example then I would have no issue calling it the highest graded copy.

I hate this section.

So requesting you HOLD the book for me, means that I wait for MCS to have it in their system for everyone else to buy and then I am suppose to hope that I have free time to go to their site and buy it?

Oh ok, Now I see. Now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up with me.

Dude, the book was promised to you and I told you how it would be sold. If you had concerns about it then you should have asked. You had no reason to worry.

Have fun!

The ironic part is that if you don't buy the book now I could have you placed on the PL. Funny stuff.

Ok, really gotta go. Anything else?

How am I suppose to know that? You're replies were so short. No explaination. Holding a book for me means you're going to hold the book for me. You even said that sometimes you make exception for people and you'll hold them. Go head and put me on the pl list. I did nothing wrong. I'm out. I'm over it.

Oh my wayward friend. I hope one day you will trust someone to fulfill their word. We have been here before and may be here again. Are you saying you no longer wish to have the book?

If I had a 9.8 in your example then I would have no issue calling it the highest graded copy.

I hate this section.

But don't you hold the record for posting in it? :D

The 9.8 case is different because wrt the books you deal in, it's effectively saying, "There aren't any 9.9s or 10s." For a GA book, it seems to me more on the up and up -- even for the highest grading tier -- to say something like, "It's a 9.2. Tied for highest graded with two other copies."

I hate this section.

But don't you hold the record for posting in it? :D

The 9.8 case is different because wrt the books you deal in, it's effectively saying, "There aren't any 9.9s or 10s." For a GA book, it seems to me more on the up and up -- even for the highest grading tier -- to say something like, "It's a 9.2. Tied for highest graded with two other copies."

Seems like semantics to me.

If I hold the record then :whee:

This section went completely off the rails, for me. There was a time when the idea was to protect the community. That was lost some time ago. Now it makes more sense to post emoticons.

Oh my wayward friend. I hope one day you will trust someone to fulfill their word. We have been here before and may be here again. Are you saying you no longer wish to have the book?

If you want to sell me the book the way I understood it in the pm, that I still have and you removed from, then you can pm me again and I'll buy the book from you and only you cause you told me that you were going to hold it for me.