• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

One of the best things I did with board sales was to list the sale prices as firm. Nobody gets bent out of shape negotiating, haggling, lowballing, or otherwise giving-and-taking. Also, buyers don't have to worry that their negotiating skills left them short of getting the best price possible. Selling is easier, too, not having to juggle multiple negotiations at once that sometimes include the same book or books.

To each his own, of course, but I wish more sellers would list their firm, very best prices right upfront, and not try to squeeze a little bit extra out of prospective buyers in the hopes that a few will make purchases above the price at which they'd part with their books. 2c

Which is why I prefer to run auctions. :)

Can't be 99 cents!

Squeezer. :baiting:

One of the best things I did with board sales was to list the sale prices as firm. Nobody gets bent out of shape negotiating, haggling, lowballing, or otherwise giving-and-taking. Also, buyers don't have to worry that their negotiating skills left them short of getting the best price possible. Selling is easier, too, not having to juggle multiple negotiations at once that sometimes include the same book or books.

To each his own, of course, but I wish more sellers would list their firm, very best prices right upfront, and not try to squeeze a little bit extra out of prospective buyers in the hopes that a few will make purchases above the price at which they'd part with their books. 2c

I like that format but the books have been selling a lot easier if I entertain 10% discount offers. I seems like the comic con mentality of asking for 10% off on books no matter what price they are has flooded the market.

I like that format but the books have been selling a lot easier if I entertain 10% discount offers. I seems like the comic con mentality of asking for 10% off on books no matter what price they are has flooded the market.

YES!...and this frustrates the hell out of me when I'm running sales threads. I LOVE and USE the Carmax'esque "no haggle pricing" approach. I even explicitly announce in the thread that that's what I'm doing. But, as 1Cool says...I don't care what price I list...people wait for the 10% off discount, which never comes.

YES!...and this frustrates the hell out of me when I'm running sales threads. I LOVE and USE the Carmax'esque "no haggle pricing" approach. I even explicitly announce in the thread that that's what I'm doing. But, as 1Cool says...I don't care what price I list...people wait for the 10% off discount, which never comes.

I swear...using a hypothetical $$...it seems like if I initially list a book for $100 and then never offer a discount, it is less likely to sell than if I first list it at $115 and then offer a 10% discount (even though that's more expensive than $100) :makepoint:

But, I'm going to keep going with my "best price upfront + no discounts" approach...it's a battle of psychological will at this point... :insane:

I swear...using a hypothetical $$...it seems like if I initially list a book for $100 and then never offer a discount, it is less likely to sell than if I first list it at $115 and then offer a 10% discount (even though that's more expensive than $100) :makepoint:

But, I'm going to keep going with my "best price upfront + no discounts" approach...it's a battle of psychological will at this point... :insane:

Remember, though, the debacle at JC Penney when Ron Johnson went to a no discounts approach. The problem seems to be that many consumers aren't sure what a "good" price is. The ancient department store policy toward pricing furniture is to have the list price be 40% or more above the discount price, with the discount price being in effect most of the time. Seems to work. People have no idea what price they should pay for an armchair -- but they know 40% off must be a good deal!

Chuck figured out this approach long ago. :D

And if you read that post again, it's one part negotiation, but 2 parts simply calling the books overpriced which isn't really negotiating as much as poisoning the well for other people perusing the thread....that's the type of behavior that may push other buyers away from the thread and limiting the competition for the aforementioned threaddumper.

I was taking the conversation in my own direction. :)

He made a mistake with the post.

Although I do think open negotiations within a thread would be entertaining.

As soon as some guy throws out a figure, some other dude can jump in and say how he'll do better. Watch them bloody each other until one is left standing to paypal you. I'd pay a buck to watch that go down. lol

Wait till the personal insults start for calling out low bidders.

Remember, though, the debacle at JC Penney when Ron Johnson went to a no discounts approach. The problem seems to be that many consumers aren't sure what a "good" price is. The ancient department store policy toward pricing furniture is to have the list price be 40% or more above the discount price, with the discount price being in effect most of the time. Seems to work. People have no idea what price they should pay for an armchair -- but they know 40% off must be a good deal!

Chuck figured out this approach long ago. :D

Yep...and this is why the marketing students take psychology classes....and why I prefer accounting.

Debits = Credits. I'd like to see somebody try to psycho-babble their way out of that one.

:roflmao::banana:

The thing that I take the most issue with in that post is the phrase "would of."

It amazes me how often I see people write that phrase, which makes no grammatical sense. I understand that the pronunciation of "would've" (i.e., the contraction for "would have") sounds like "would of"...but c'mon people...tighten it up.

vil2_prof.gif

Finally. So many spelling mistakes corrected but I have never seen this one mentioned.

You must have me on ignore.

-slym

Sales tip #118 - Though it has been a few months since I have started one, all of my sales threads include the disclaimer - "Thread-krapping is encouraged". It helps add to the post counts in the thread and makes it look to the drive-by browser like that is thread to read. Sort of a built-in "friday" factor.

The thing that I take the most issue with in that post is the phrase "would of."

It amazes me how often I see people write that phrase, which makes no grammatical sense. I understand that the pronunciation of "would've" (i.e., the contraction for "would have") sounds like "would of"...but c'mon people...tighten it up.

vil2_prof.gif

Finally. So many spelling mistakes corrected but I have never seen this one mentioned.

You must have me on ignore.

-slym

Never!! Just too busy killing zombies and posting emoticons. :whee:

Finally ran out of luck I see. :)

More like you finally found some. My goodness, I don't think I've ever been thrashed like that in my 10 years of playing FF. You're the favorite, that's for sure. I'm just trying to get that 3rd place slot.

Sales tip #118 - Though it has been a few months since I have started one, all of my sales threads include the disclaimer - "Thread-krapping is encouraged". It helps add to the post counts in the thread and makes it look to the drive-by browser like that is thread to read. Sort of a built-in "friday" factor.

Even the negative is a positive!

More like you finally found some. My goodness, I don't think I've ever been thrashed like that in my 10 years of playing FF. You're the favorite, that's for sure. I'm just trying to get that 3rd place slot.

Staples is tough and my WR's are not trustworthy.

I'm so tempted to tinker. :cry:

Edited by Junk Donkey

Well, your first 117 haven't worked for me, so maybe I should try this one. hm

Whatever, with your first class problems you two! :P

Sincerely,

1-12

Whatever, with your first class problems you two! :P

Sincerely,

1-12

lol

You deserved more. I'll be happy with 2nd but I'll only do the dance of joy for 1st. ;)