• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The *spoon* that people sometimes pass off as "keys" on these boards is unbelievable.

There's a level of hucksterism here these days that wasn't so apparent in the earlier years :(

You're only in 4 years longer than me and I've seen it since day one. We've always had people who will say things like " looks 9.6" ( when it's a 9.4 ) or " this is the nicest 8.0 you will ever see" or "press this to a 9.8". It is what it is (shrug)

Maybe you're right but it seemed different back then. Sure it still happened but not to the extent that it does today.

There do seem to be a lot more people here just for the sale.

I'm here for the sale.

When does it start...?

The *spoon* that people sometimes pass off as "keys" on these boards is unbelievable.

There's a level of hucksterism here these days that wasn't so apparent in the earlier years :(

You're only in 4 years longer than me and I've seen it since day one. We've always had people who will say things like " looks 9.6" ( when it's a 9.4 ) or " this is the nicest 8.0 you will ever see" or "press this to a 9.8". It is what it is (shrug)

Maybe you're right but it seemed different back then. Sure it still happened but not to the extent that it does today.

There do seem to be a lot more people here just for the sale.

I'm here for the sale.

When does it start...?

You missed it :P

No surprise. People are not paying attention to the rules, then instead of apologizing, get upset that someone persists about the rules. Lots of entitled sellers out there lately

Is that the new trend in the FS thread, to list raw books without putting a grade condition? There seems to be more and more of these recently.

its been happening more and more in the last year.

Some sellers feel that the time saved and disputes avoided is worth more to them than the amount of lost sales by people who just pass over these kind of sales.

I personally disagree with that method, but happily support their right to employ this strategy, as it saves me money I might have otherwise spent, and leaves additional cash in the market for buyers to spend in my sales threads.

I am one who strongly prefers to see a grade, in addition to commentary where possible. That said, the rules mandate only scans OR grades and so only one or the other are by rule. Having both is desirable but not mandatory.

Is that the new trend in the FS thread, to list raw books without putting a grade condition? There seems to be more and more of these recently.

Some sellers feel that the time saved and disputes avoided is worth more to them than the amount of lost sales by people who just pass over these kind of sales.

I personally disagree with that method, but happily support their right to employ this strategy, as it saves me money I might have otherwise spent, and leaves additional cash in the market for buyers to spend in my sales threads.

I agree completely. Lack of adequate information is also a downward pressure on price. The more information a buyer has the less risk you are asking them to assume in buying your product. The less information the greater the risk and the more of a discount will be necessary to cover that risk. 2c

The other side of the story, however, I think has to do with the imagination, not putting a specific grade leaves it open for the buyer maybe to think its better than it actually is, of course the imagination can work in the reverse also.

I agree completely. Lack of adequate information is also a downward pressure on price. The more information a buyer has the less risk you are asking them to assume in buying your product. The less information the greater the risk and the more of a discount will be necessary to cover that risk. 2c

The other side of the story, however, I think has to do with the imagination, not putting a specific grade leaves it open for the buyer maybe to think its better than it actually is, of course the imagination can work in the reverse also.

I find a lot of the books seem overgraded anyway. I prefer a good scan on single books. Lots are a total different beast. jmo

I am one who strongly prefers to see a grade, in addition to commentary where possible. That said, the rules mandate only scans OR grades and so only one or the other are by rule. Having both is desirable but not mandatory.

We all do for the most part. If you can come up with a price to post, post the fricking grade you're basing the price on. I do it with two dollar books. But when you ask why they don't post them you get a wise azz response.

I agree that I prefer to see a grade, but I do understand why putting a grade down does draw a line in the sand, and there are a decent number of "buyers" here that will ALWAYS play the "now that I have the book in hand I think it's more of a ____(one grade lower)____ can I get a partial credit back?"

I do think the best think is a scan and a description. Nothing to dispute then. If I sell a book and I say it has a 1/2 inch spine split from the top and you get a book with a 1/2 inch spine split from the top then there's ZERO wiggle room. Now if I just call that VG+ and then you come back and say "gee it' really looks more like a G/VG to me now that I have it... how about a credit back?"....

Well there can always be something to dispute, as we can't see much of the inside. Some of us will post scans of the centerfold on higher priced items too.

There are a decent amount of good graders that sell on here and I really don't think there are many disputes about the grades with them. If so, they are most likely worked out through a P.M.

I would never buy a book without a stated grade here. If I have a stated grade, I could have perplexities about it, but I am buying based on the picture AND the stated grade. If I have just the pictures, I am buying almost blindly, unless I know the seller (of course, with most of you I could buy blindly, but not with a seller I do not know).

I'm in agreement. Prefer grades and usually click right out unless they're there.

No surprise. People are not paying attention to the rules, then instead of apologizing, get upset that someone persists about the rules. Lots of entitled sellers out there lately

The rules don't demand a grade. 2c

I agree that I prefer to see a grade, but I do understand why putting a grade down does draw a line in the sand, and there are a decent number of "buyers" here that will ALWAYS play the "now that I have the book in hand I think it's more of a ____(one grade lower)____ can I get a partial credit back?"

I do think the best think is a scan and a description. Nothing to dispute then. If I sell a book and I say it has a 1/2 inch spine split from the top and you get a book with a 1/2 inch spine split from the top then there's ZERO wiggle room. Now if I just call that VG+ and then you come back and say "gee it' really looks more like a G/VG to me now that I have it... how about a credit back?"....

Graded slabs are also not immune to this behavior.

As for raw books I think it's cool we have the PGM forum where folks can get a decent sampling of opinions prior to posting a FS thread here.