• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So, I claimed 3 books on the 6th, and this evening I get a PM from the seller saying he's sold the books to another buyer because I didn't respond to his PM.

Now, I've only received one PM from the seller (telling me he sold my books), but does this time frame, 3 days, seem extreme to anyone else?

Yes it's unreasonable. Nominate him for Probation. He was already on my Do Not Deal With list because of previous sketchy behavior.

His explanation is open and shut PL. Post it now so that everyone can be informed.

If the general consensus is this, then I will be nominating him.

Anyone on the PL must have an option to make it right, to either complete the transaction or in some other sense make the other party whole. What do you want the seller to do given the books are already sold to someone else?

An action like this, if true, warrants a spot on the PL. But how is the seller supposed to be made whole? If I remember correctly, this happened before, and the seller ponied up some cash to the buyer to get out of it. That solution doesn't exactly sit right with me, but what are some other options?

So, I claimed 3 books on the 6th, and this evening I get a PM from the seller saying he's sold the books to another buyer because I didn't respond to his PM.

Now, I've only received one PM from the seller (telling me he sold my books), but does this time frame, 3 days, seem extreme to anyone else?

Yes it's unreasonable. Nominate him for Probation. He was already on my Do Not Deal With list because of previous sketchy behavior.

His explanation is open and shut PL. Post it now so that everyone can be informed.

Anyone on the PL must have an option to make it right, to either complete the transaction or in some other sense make the other party whole. What do you want the seller to do given the books are already sold to someone else?

An action like this, if true, warrants a spot on the PL. But how is the seller buyer supposed to be made whole? If I remember correctly, this happened before, and the seller ponied up some cash to the buyer to get out of it. That solution doesn't exactly sit right with me, but what are some other options?

FTFY

Assuming that the OP's version of events is accurate, if the seller wanted to make it right he could buy copies of these books and sell them to the OP at the listed prices. Should be easy to do because these aren't rare books.

I notice the (presumed) seller did not specify immediate payment in his terms. That should have been spelled out if he wanted to yank books after only 3 days. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

An action like this, if true, warrants a spot on the PL. But how is the seller buyer supposed to be made whole? If I remember correctly, this happened before, and the seller ponied up some cash to the buyer to get out of it. That solution doesn't exactly sit right with me, but what are some other options?

FTFY

Assuming that the OP's version of events is accurate, if the seller wanted to make it right he could buy copies of these books and sell them to the OP at the listed prices. Should be easy to do because these aren't rare books.

In principle it is possible, but in practice more complicated. Obviously only the buyer in this case can speak to their needs with these books, but if it were me I might have selected those copies because they met specific condition requirements for the grade and the price. Finding other copies that met my original needs might not be for the seller quickly or easily accomplished.

Further to that, the price put on the books by the seller may have been tied to what they had in them, and that cannot be assumed the same for other copies acquired later as compensation.

Neither of these are impossible to solve, obviously, but it is more complicated to me than just getting more copies of the same issues. It certainly does not look good on the seller, but I am not sure this can function as a PL case. 2c

I'm not sure we can put him on the probation list (not that he shouldn't be on it) but we should have the seller come and explain, so at least there will be a record to review.

As an aside, the buyer might have escaped some other problems, I'm always wary of pictures taken with books in the bags, especially wavy bags.

Head on is the best way. Screw beating around the bush. :grin:

Advice like this is why I never scored when I was younger :cry:

We know why you never scored, you don't have to reinforce it with every post. (thumbs u

You've proven who you are by your posting (tsk)

lol

Park hasn't posted in almost two months. Has anyone heard from him?

200_s_zpsrko5l6gm.gif

Head on is the best way. Screw beating around the bush. :grin:

Advice like this is why I never scored when I was younger :cry:

We know why you never scored, you don't have to reinforce it with every post. (thumbs u

You've proven who you are by your posting (tsk)

lol

Park hasn't posted in almost two months. Has anyone heard from him?

I think he's pouring all of his time and effort into Fantasy Football.

tom-hanks-laughing-o_zpsxwlvitet.gif

FTFY

In principle it is possible, but in practice more complicated. Obviously only the buyer in this case can speak to their needs with these books, but if it were me I might have selected those copies because they met specific condition requirements for the grade and the price. Finding other copies that met my original needs might not be for the seller quickly or easily accomplished.

Further to that, the price put on the books by the seller may have been tied to what they had in them, and that cannot be assumed the same for other copies acquired later as compensation.

Neither of these are impossible to solve, obviously, but it is more complicated to me than just getting more copies of the same issues. It certainly does not look good on the seller, but I am not sure this can function as a PL case. 2c

This is where opening things up to review/discussion in the PL thread comes in handy. There was a second :takeit: yesterday. The books may well still be in the seller's hands. Regardless, this is a classic PL situation if all is as stated, which is why we need to hear from both sides.

I am concerned about the 2nd :takeit: referencing a PM and also the OP's assertion he never received an invoice from the seller. I think this should definitely start with a nomination. The separate PM should be sent to the seller notifying them of the PL nomination. Wait the three days and see what kind of response the seller makes. In the meantime,the buyer should be thinking about recompense, if the books are not available.

Thanks for the reply, guys and gals.

Seems like the consensus is that it's either not PL worthy or there's no way to resolve it.

I've asked igordesign23 for a screen capture showing a PM other than the one where he canceled the sale. I've received no reply but it has been read.

The odds that he sent me a PM and I didn't receive it, AND that he deleted his PM before sending another seem hm to me.

At the end of the day, these are common books. It just irks me that I'm probably being lied to, and this will probably happen to someone else.

FTFY

The first point is certainly true, but if the books have been sold and the seller needs to make some sort of redress to get off the PL (should it come to that) finding other copies of the same books might work.

Not sure I follow the second point. If you're saying that the seller may no longer make a profit on the books if he has buy other copies and resell them to the buyer, that may well be true. But protecting the seller from a loss isn't the point ... or am missing something? hm

The first point is certainly true, but if the books have been sold and the seller needs to make some sort of redress to get off the PL (should it come to that) finding other copies of the same books might work.

Not sure I follow the second point. If you're saying that the seller may no longer make a profit on the books if he has buy other copies and resell them to the buyer, that may well be true. But protecting the seller from a loss isn't the point ... or am missing something? hm

In the general I agree that it is not about protecting the seller from possible losses when the greater imperative is to meet their obligations or to make a person whole when necessary. So if I ship you something and say "hey don't worry about insurance, I got it covered" and it gets damaged, than I should take the losses and you should be refunded in whole, absolutely.

But in this case as I understand it no money has changed hands, the buyer has not as yet actually bought anything, and I think that (supposing the original books are sold and gone) any replacements could never by physical definition be the "same" books, and so their value could at best be comparable, but never exact, and it could be very subjective on the buyer's and seller's side what was exactly comparable...and this could prolong drama rather than quickly resolve it. 2c

Thanks for the reply, guys and gals.

Seems like the consensus is that it's either not PL worthy or there's no way to resolve it.

I've asked igordesign23 for a screen capture showing a PM other than the one where he canceled the sale. I've received no reply but it has been read.

The odds that he sent me a PM and I didn't receive it, AND that he deleted his PM before sending another seem hm to me.

At the end of the day, these are common books. It just irks me that I'm probably being lied to, and this will probably happen to someone else.

I could reasonably see the seller thinking he had sent you an initial pm when he had not, mistakes happen. But when he didn't get a response the logical thing to do is check the pm he sent you to see if it was read and cancel the sale, and at that point he would have discovered there was no pm. It doesn't make sense and it seems clear that the seller is not replying to your pm and ignoring this discussion.

This is PL worthy and you should let him worry about how to resolve this issue. Nominate him and let's see if he could be bothered to respond.

For the record I was the one who bought the books that are in question from the seller. I had sent a PM about them when saw they were still available (and I honesty missed the "Take it" post regarding them, Was looking at it on my phone and was trying to check things out best I could). I expected that if they were "taken" the seller would have let me know this. He sent me a response indicating they were available and I paid for everything. Now, I can't say what the sellers reason was for this, be it lack of response to a pm, multiple copies of the book, or human error on his part, but I don't believe the seller would go out of their way to sell these books to me for any reason. I saw this posting a few days later in the thread and wasn't sure what happened. Just wanted to get on record here that I wasn't trying to screw anybody out of books they had claimed, and if I had realized it, I wouldn't have sent the PM about it to begin with.

looks like the seller owes the buyer three books..

Captain Marvel #26 Fine+ $25

Captain Marvel #28 Fine+ $20

Strange Tales 167 VF- $5

looks like all three are available on eBay, some on mycomicshop, and other places so the seller can fulfill his end of the deal (the books) and the buyer is able to also fulfill his end of the deal (paying the agreed on price).

that seems like the reasonable expectation to complete the deal...

my apologies to the seller. I if I may have wronged anyone here. was not my intention. I sell fairly to anyone. I have had a few claims that go unsold due to no communication. and between a claim by a seller and a pm I thought I sent , I never heard a reply or a contact from the buyer for about 5 days, so i went and sold the same books to another seller. I was under the impression I was in contact with the seller, but I mixed up the name. I'm sure this can happen to anyone.

Again my apologies.

I have had a couple of transactions with the seller and I have had no problems with him at all. He does invoice within minutes of a boardie claiming an item though and should list in his threads that he expects immediate payment or he will move on to the next paying customer.

It seems at times there is a misunderstanding between sellers and buyers concerning board etiquette vs. board rules. Three or five days without a response to a pm invoice may seem like a flaky buyer to the seller if immediate payment is the expectation. However, a 5 day non-response to an invoice for claimed items is not a violation of the board's buying policy. Proper etiquette would have been for the buyer to respond to the invoice giving the seller notice of intentions of paying for the items on a specific date and time. Even though that wasn't done, the seller should not have sold the items to a new buyer without stating in the thread that the items were still available because of a lack of response from the buyer to an invoice. The seller needs to have clear terms concerning payment expectations IMO. I don't think it is PL worthy but the seller needs to make things right with the buyer for negating his claim on the items.

I have had a couple of transactions with the seller and I have had no problems with him at all. He does invoice within minutes of a boardie claiming an item though and should list in his threads that he expects immediate payment or he will move on to the next paying customer.

It seems at times there is a misunderstanding between sellers and buyers concerning board etiquette vs. board rules. Three or five days without a response to a pm invoice may seem like a flaky buyer to the seller if immediate payment is the expectation. However, a 5 day non-response to an invoice for claimed items is not a violation of the board's buying policy. Proper etiquette would have been for the buyer to respond to the invoice giving the seller notice of intentions of paying for the items on a specific date and time. Even though that wasn't done, the seller should not have sold the items to a new buyer without stating in the thread that the items were still available because of a lack of response from the buyer to an invoice. The seller needs to have clear terms concerning payment expectations IMO. I don't think it is PL worthy but the seller needs to make things right with the buyer for negating his claim on the items.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem lies with the fact that the buyer never received an invoice at all.