• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 7:43 PM, Point Five said:

With a subscription to Point Five Prime, you'll be sent a weekly digest with links to the very choicest of posts, brimming with wisdom, selected with love.

5819496_200w(1).gif.186dc8a3db7c23e73d047163424c1107.gif

On 4/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, skypinkblu said:
On 4/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

:ohnoez:

If it was not mailed in a cereal box, then it's not at the top of my crazy list;)

I always double box my cereal boxes just to be safe

Edited by Jeffro.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, Bird said:

today I experienced the frustration of the packing tape purchase! 99 different little pieces going every which way.

but I was glad to get my comics securely

The easy start tape doesn’t seem to have this issue. It’s a little more expensive, but I wasted so much tape when that would happen. 

On the topic of using tape, I always tab my tape and write “pull tape” with an arrow to each tab on the cardboard sandwich or wherever else I need to use tape. Easy to remove, and keeps knives and scissors away from comics.  I also wrap the comics in newspaper to keep anything from sticking to the sleeves/bags. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, Bird said:

you'll need a blade when you get your print

btw, a small caliber bullet wouldn't damage your print

That's the problem. I've been very careful using a blade to separate comics tightly bound to one another with packaging tape on the sleeves and left blade impressions or just damaged comics. There are so many ways to do the same thing without people needing tools or risking stress or damage to the comics.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:28 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

There are so many ways to do the same thing without people needing tools or risking stress or damage to the comics.

sure, but there are many ways to take it out of that tape as well, and without stress. Blade only needed to separate books from cardboard, after that remove one at a time from outside by peeling off from the main package, holding it appropriately to secure.

I only tape top and bottom. But painters tape does not seem secure enough to me on tests, bang a corner or edge and the comics come loose from the cardboard. I would rather one piece of well placed packing tape.

there are indeed many ways to skin a cat (I had a salary negotiation where they said that to me once), packing, unpacking et al. My main duty is to get the comics to you securely.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:03 AM, Roo_Phillip said:
On 4/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, skypinkblu said:

If it was not mailed in a cereal box, then it's not at the top of my crazy list;)

How about a cereal box plus Saran Wrap?  :nyah:

cereal1.jpg.aef9609d1784d496cc087d4d4b526349.jpg

Boxed in a knock off of rice crispies. :facepalm: Red flag right there

On 4/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, Jeffro. said:

I'd leave a neutral. "Book was packaged in generic brand cereal box. Paid for premium."

On 4/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, Point Five said:
On 4/13/2022 at 12:23 PM, Jeffro. said:

I'd leave a neutral. "Book was packaged in generic brand cereal box. Paid for premium."

20220414_015433.thumb.jpg.6591525bf8586a8c74ba94db39d1aa77.jpg

On 4/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, Point Five said:
On 4/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, Jeffro. said:

You just can't trust a seller who ships in a knock off box.

I mean, who would you trust? The guy who shipped in this box?

0f2416a0-36af-41bd-8d65-c7ed3cef376b.0df 

Or this one?

IMG_3352.jpg?resize=381,508

On 4/14/2022 at 6:27 AM, Jeffro. said:

You just can't trust a seller who ships in a knock off box.

I mean, who would you trust? The guy who shipped in this box?

0f2416a0-36af-41bd-8d65-c7ed3cef376b.0df 

Or this one?

IMG_3352.jpg?resize=381,508

Well, the first box is obviously more nutritious...but the 2nd box might be from someone with 6 kids...and I might forgive them because they obviously can't afford a better box (and have zero taste;).

On 4/13/2022 at 9:28 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

That's the problem. I've been very careful using a blade to separate comics tightly bound to one another with packaging tape on the sleeves and left blade impressions or just damaged comics. There are so many ways to do the same thing without people needing tools or risking stress or damage to the comics.

This. There is zero need to use packing tape to hold down comics, arguing the point just seems silly or stubborn.

This is not directed at Bird, but I'd say maybe 50% of the folks who sell books on the Boards could use a course in Packing Your Comics 101. I don't think I've ever told a seller they need to improve their methods, I just make a mental note of it.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:59 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

I get that. I have seen, of all things, plastic grocery bags used to good effect with packaging tape. Plastic wrap is a nice idea but can get excessive, too. Anyhow, I just end up not buying from those sellers. And I think making it easy for your buyers to unpackage the goods is important, too. And not everyone out there has steady hands, especially as older collectors. It's a nicety and good business imo. But to each their own. Buyers can always move on if they don't like a seller's practices.

Yup. It is not fun to receive a book in the mail and then have to spend 10 minutes analyzing the packing method in order to determine how to get it out safely and then struggling to do so.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, Pontoon said:

This is not directed at Bird, but I'd say maybe 50% of the folks who sell books on the Boards could use a course in Packing Your Comics 101. I don't think I've ever told a seller they need to improve their methods, I just make a mental note of it.

it is all good. I don't take it personally, and I am stubborn because I get tons of positive comments about the packing on my ebay feedback and only one or two complaints ever. I am selling books under $50 almost exclusively as well.

I expect an adult to have a box cutter or be able to use scissors like a knife. I had not considered shaky hands, that is a good point. If I sent you books I bet you may not like the tape (one piece on top and one on bottom, maybe two if it is 5 books or so) but you would have your books out easily in a minute or two.

Tell you what, if everyone stops taping the spines I will stop with the packing tape. Maybe. I do use it because I think it does the job.

these are all recent feedback on ebay, gotta listen to the people! If they go out of their way to mention the packing I figure it is well received.

protected by layers of cardboard & taped up securely

great packaging, fast shipping

Prompt shipping, well-packaged, condition as described!

books came perfect, fast shipping, great packing, thank you

Book arrived flawless and very well packaged.

Edited by Bird

I have no interest in going back and forth about this, and you've always seemed to be a fine guy here.

I can pull out just as many feedback comments regarding my packing, which always get there safely and does not use packing tape to hold down the comics to the cardboard, but what would be the point?

On 4/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Pontoon said:

I have no interest in going back and forth about this, and you've always seemed to be a fine guy here.

I can pull out just as many feedback comments regarding my packing, which always get there safely and does not use packing tape to hold down the comics to the cardboard, but what would be the point?

I didn’t realize this was an aggressive back-and-forth sorry if that’s how it’s coming off. 

The feedback is relevant because I wanted to point out that it isn’t stubbornness but more a response to feedback and packing being well received with the use of the tape. So I’m not sure peoples individual complaints reflect the market as a whole, at least in my experience

On 4/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, Bird said:
On 4/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Pontoon said:

I didn’t realize this was an aggressive back-and-forth sorry if that’s how it’s coming off. 

The feedback is relevant because I wanted to point out that it isn’t stubbornness but more a response to feedback and packing being well received with the use of the tape. So I’m not sure peoples individual complaints reflect the market as a whole, at least in my experience

I'm not sure that ebay feedback reflects the market as a whole either. There is such a thing as using too much tape and/or packing too securely. I've done it. I don't do it anymore. 

People sing the praises of painters tape but I've seen that tape fail as well and rip. 

There's no right or wrong way unless something goes horribly wrong in shipping then there is a wrong way.

Edited by Jeffro.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:52 PM, Jeffro. said:

I'm not sure that ebay feedback reflects the market as a whole either. There is such a thing as using too much tape and/or packing too securely. I've done it. I don't do it anymore. 

People sing the praises of painters tape but I've seen that tape fail as well and rip. 

There's no right or wrong way unless something goes horribly wrong in shipping then there is a wrong way.

Point taken about feedback as a sample. I can only go on what I am told though and wanted to reflect that. This place has made me a better seller by listening, and ebay as well.

I agree. It ain't the tape, it is the packer. If you don't like the packing I would advise to tell the shipper so that they can improve service.

Its funny that this recent back and forth was spurred a bit when I posted about getting a package with packing tape (after first stating I use it and endorse it). I would rather be annoyed by excess tape than by a damaged comic. I almost bought some painters tape today but cannot see using it without going hard with it and I won't tape the sides if I can help it so I passed, figuring you cant argue with success. I do agree use it judiciously.