• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, Pontoon said:

I think when a book is sold the seller should mark it as such by editing the original post that contains the book. I also like it when the seller leaves the price posted. And I wish sellers would stop posting 50 different crazy tight close-up shots of a book from every angle and use the traditional large scan of the front and large scan of the back. And keep sales threads to a reasonable length.

I have added shots based on feedback I see on the boards, like "good grading and photos of all defects, what more could you want?"

On 3/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Pontoon said:

What I prefer is exactly what I said, a large scan of the front, and a large scan of the back and that's it. That's the way comics were sold on the boards and online for years before this current social media trend of including dozens of close-ups.

Here's an example of what I prefer:

That seller even puts the back covers in spoilers. Scrolling through endless close-ups is bothersome and I tend to gloss over sales threads like that. The big auction houses don't do it that way and the big online dealers don't do it that way either.

That was my 'best practice' in past.  I've since added a photo at slight angle to show cover texture/gloss.

Always use spoiler for all images after first scan, to reduce clutter & load time. 

Since we're venting our 'don't likes,' my 5 cents (inflation) is I'm not a big fan of sales without back scan, though I have bought without seeing back, especially on a low $$ book.

If I see that a seller doesn't update listings once they're sold, I just exit the thread. Not worth the effort. If someone is lazy with that, it suggests to be that they might be lazy with other aspects of the transaction.

By way of example, I usually avoid one guy's threads because they're such low effort, but I grabbed a few things recently. Have I been invoiced yet or seen a thread update? Nope. Dude just is low effort. We'll see how packaging is. 🤞

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On 3/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Spoilers are a nice way to add additional pics and reduce visual clutter.

Absolutely.  Lots of information available for interested buyers but easy to scroll through for people not interested in all that detail

On 3/19/2022 at 10:40 AM, Pontoon said:

What I prefer is exactly what I said, a large scan of the front, and a large scan of the back and that's it. That's the way comics were sold on the boards and online for years before this current social media trend of including dozens of close-ups.

Here's an example of what I prefer:

That seller even puts the back covers in spoilers. Scrolling through endless close-ups is bothersome and I tend to gloss over sales threads like that. The big auction houses don't do it that way and the big online dealers don't do it that way either.

I think also its the fact that people are using their phones and so the assumption that all sorts  of close up shots are needed to compensate  for those tiny little screens. I'm usually on a big screen desk top so fc and bc are sufficient for me too, and I agree about the need for bc scans. I am risk averse, especially now that everything is more expensive, so I get used to losing out on books because I ask too many questions and someone  else scoops it up quickly and its gone...but I accept that as part of any market, sometimes those quick buys pay off, sometimes they don't....but for me its always been about risk management, and generally more  info  less risk....and I agree completely that the spoilers are the solution to this... 2c

On 3/23/2022 at 7:30 AM, Steppenwolfscomics said:

Anyone else think Golden Age should be it’s own subforum in the market?  

There’s already a thread/poll somewhere discussing this.  I think it lacked support…(shrug)

On 3/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, Steppenwolfscomics said:

Anyone else think Golden Age should be it’s own subforum in the market?  

this question is asked often and invariably shot down. True GA is a very brief period if you eliminate platinum and where would platinum go if we are getting technical? There also is concern there will not be enough to list there even if you call GA everything before SA, sellers likely have GA as well as SA and maybe BA& later so if push comes to shove will they post in both/all forums or just where they have the most books (which won't be GA for most).

On 3/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, Bird said:

this question is asked often and invariably shot down. True GA is a very brief period if you eliminate platinum and where would platinum go if we are getting technical? There also is concern there will not be enough to list there even if you call GA everything before SA, sellers likely have GA as well as SA and maybe BA& later so if push comes to shove will they post in both/all forums or just where they have the most books (which won't be GA for most).

I’d be fine with less posts. I’d rather only get notifications on Golden Age books (Platinum of course could be included). 

A dealer could just simply post their Golden Age books in the Golden Age subforum. Doesn’t seem difficult to me. And people who want to look at Golden Age books won’t have to sift through hundreds of bronze and silver books. 

But if there is not support for it, then there is not support for it and I’ll live 🤣

On 3/23/2022 at 9:43 AM, Steppenwolfscomics said:

A dealer could just simply post their Golden Age books in the Golden Age subforum. Doesn’t seem difficult to me. And people who want to look at Golden Age books won’t have to sift through hundreds of bronze and silver books. 

Running two or three threads at the same time is much more difficult than one thread.

Less posts = less eyes looking

On 3/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, wombat said:

We got some drama brewing. Yes, I am bored. 

Doesn't sound too complicated. Seller made an offer to multiple potential buyers, buyer1 accepted via PM and then posted to the thread first before buyer2's pm take.  At least that's how it reads....

On 3/30/2022 at 10:42 PM, miraclemet said:

Doesn't sound too complicated. Seller made an offer to multiple potential buyers, buyer1 accepted via PM and then posted to the thread first before buyer2's pm take.  At least that's how it reads....

Being the seller in this case, I can say that is exactly the situation.  Based on timestamps, the first buyer accepted a counter offer and sent a PM. It was close and appears to have been a minute or so later that buyer 2 accepted a similar counter offer.  Basically there were overlapping offers sent (one was for multiple books) and the first PM back was the winner.

Not sure how others handle multiple offers but I have used the eBay approach of replying to all offers as they arrive and the first one who takes the counter wins.  One alternative is to hold all offers until the conclusion of each negotiation. Challenging if a buyer goes MIA or there are overlapping 'package' offers.  Going forward I plan to clarify my thread rules for this situation.  I tend to list books that attract multiple offers and it can often be a feeding frenzy, especially for Golden Age books.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:57 PM, AlphaOmega said:

Being the seller in this case, I can say that is exactly the situation.  Based on timestamps, the first buyer accepted a counter offer and sent a PM. It was close and appears to have been a minute or so later that buyer 2 accepted a similar counter offer.  Basically there were overlapping offers sent (one was for multiple books) and the first PM back was the winner.

Not sure how others handle multiple offers but I have used the eBay approach of replying to all offers as they arrive and the first one who takes the counter wins.  One alternative is to hold all offers until the conclusion of each negotiation. Challenging if a buyer goes MIA or there are overlapping 'package' offers.  Going forward I plan to clarify my thread rules for this situation.  I tend to list books that attract multiple offers and it can often be a feeding frenzy, especially for Golden Age books.

It's pretty tough to write perfect sales rules.  Reading yours you state a take it in your thread wins so who took it first in a PM or how many offers you countered and when shouldn't matter.  Who take it in the thread gets the book.  I don't think you've done anything wrong and this is just an unfortunate situation that can occur because this site isn't designed as a sales venue.  I appreciate that you're reacting very reasonably and trying to be fair and open.