• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

I'm a little concerned about the president this sets though.

When a buyer pays me via PayPal I never actually open the payment e-mail I receive and read it. I just see the e-mail in my In Box, know that payment has been made, and begin preping the item for shipment. I would assume many sellers, if not most, do thee same.

But the above makes it sounds like the seller, by accepting the PayPal payment, binds himself to whatever conditions the buyer stipulates in the comment section. In effect, the payment becomes part of the transaction negotiations.

So is it incumbent on the seller to open and read those payment e-mail to make sure the buyer hasn't unilaterally changed the terms of the transaction?

Not commenting on this specific situation so much as asking in a general sense.

I would think that all negotiations should be made prior to the sale. It was the assumption of the buyer that he was to receive a 9.8 book no less. If anyone should alter the conditions of the sale then it should be done in a PM. I usually put in my payments to the seller "CGC BOOK FROM THE FORUM BOARD" 2c

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

When a buyer pays me via PayPal I never actually open the payment e-mail I receive and read it. I just see the e-mail in my In Box, know that payment has been made, and begin preping the item for shipment. I would assume many sellers, if not most, do thee same.

But the above makes it sounds like the seller, by accepting the PayPal payment, binds himself to whatever conditions the buyer stipulates in the comment section. In effect, the payment becomes part of the transaction negotiations.

So is it incumbent on the seller to open and read those payment e-mail to make sure the buyer hasn't unilaterally changed the terms of the transaction?

hm Interesting

J

We normally don't see eye to eye, but I'll agree with you. My expectations were that the buyer's book should of been a 9.8

We both know that's not the case cause cgc graded it a 9.6

I know the buyer is upset, but what frustrates me is that I'm stuck. I can't even refund him, and he hasn't replied to me.

I answered comicdonna

Let me help...

Adonis are you going to continue pre-selling books here, that are raw the second you pick them up and hand them to the artist to be signed, but then given to CGC to be graded and placed in one of those nice plastic cases before knowing if they are a 9.8 or a 1.0?

That should be specific enough. lol

I'll let Dre be the expert from here on out.

This thing went far and beyond from where it started.

The headache is not worth the squeeze.

Number 6, totally understand your point, and agree with you. In and of itself the note should mean nothing. My point was not that it incorporated new terms into the deal, but rather showed the mindset of one of the parties.

I suppose anything is permitted provided its mutually agreed upon. Certainly one party cannot unilaterally change a deal after payment.

My concern with this particular case is that I'm still not yet clear on whether the 9.8 was assumed by the buyer, or indeed at some prior time promised or implied by the seller. I know the seller denies this, but if there is clear evidence to the contrary, that the seller positively promised a 9.8, where is it?

Number 6, totally understand your point, and agree with you. In and of itself the note should mean nothing. My point was not that it incorporated new terms into the deal, but rather showed the mindset of one of the parties.

Sorry, I screwed up the quote. I was actually quoting what Ditch said.

Adonis, I think that this board (rightfully so), has a higher standard of expectations than places like Ebay. You can't run these loosey goosey sort of sales threads. You need to be specific and not leave things vague. Write your sales threads so a neutral third party could read them and it would be perfectly clear what is being sold and for how much including shipping methods and times. Think of a report being read in court.

I notice that you are now inserting the statement that all items will be shipped within 7 days. That is a lot better than a month or something, but you will notice the very good sellers will ship within a few days. I know that is not always possible since you have a full time job, but a lot of buyers don't want to wait 7 days, then shipping time. Heck, I have crazy hours and manage to get my packages out within a day.

Let me help...

Adonis are you going to continue pre-selling books here, that are raw the second you pick them up and hand them to the artist to be signed, but then given to CGC to be graded and placed in one of those nice plastic cases before knowing if they are a 9.8 or a 1.0?

That should be specific enough. lol

I'll let Dre be the expert from here on out.

This thing went far and beyond from where it started.

The headache is not worth the squeeze.

It's really not that complicated. Dre states the Guaranteed CGC grade in his FS thread. You don't. See the difference?

I'm not making an issue here, like I said in my quote. Dre can be the sole pre-sales prescreen server.

I can send the difference clear right there based on your comments

Adonis, I think that this board (rightfully so), has a higher standard of expectations than places like Ebay. You can't run these loosey goosey sort of sales threads. You need to be specific and not leave things vague. Write your sales threads so a neutral third party could read them and it would be perfectly clear what is being sold and for how much including shipping methods and times. Think of a report being read in court.

I notice that you are now inserting the statement that all items will be shipped within 7 days. That is a lot better than a month or something, but you will notice the very good sellers will ship within a few days. I know that is not always possible since you have a full time job, but a lot of buyers don't want to wait 7 days, then shipping time. Heck, I have crazy hours and manage to get my packages out within a day.

There's always room for improvement on my part.

J

We normally don't see eye to eye, but I'll agree with you. My expectations were that the buyer's book should of been a 9.8

We both know that's not the case cause cgc graded it a 9.6

I know the buyer is upset, but what frustrates me is that I'm stuck. I can't even refund him, and he hasn't replied to me.

I answered comicdonna

For the record, I never got an answer. That's ok though. If I see any more FS threads like this one, Arch will be getting a PM.

I'm done here.

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. But, PayPal is going to place heavy emphasis on the invoice, since it is essentially the sales contract. I've found it's usually best to send a payment invoice with an accurate product description, rather than rely on whatever the buyer sends in to avoid this problem. This is not to say that PayPal wouldn't investigate all communication, including the advertisement, but it's taking a chance.

In this case, I wasn't commenting on PayPal requirements so much as pointing out a way to manage buyer expectations to avoid the kind of problems we're seeing here with this transaction.

Hey is there anyone that bought from "Venom" still NOT receive their comics? I sent payment on Oct 22. Waited between 2-3 weeks and still nothing arrived. Messaged him on Nov 11 and was responded on Nov 12 stating a tracking will be given but no tracking was given and no contact since then. About to fill up a dispute and give him another day or so then escalate to claim. I know he has abit of positive feedback here and sold a bunch, anyone know what's going on?

Wanted to bump this since it got lost in the Adonis fiasco. I can't remember if I bought from the same thread as you but I paid for my two Spiderverse # 2's on Nov 4th and they arrived fairly quickly. Hopefully you get yours soon. :(

Is there a link to the sales thread? I didn't read everything so sorry if it was posted already. I'd like to see how the thread was set up to see which side of the fence I'm on with this one. If the sales thread didn't guarantee a 9.8, then the buyer knew what they were getting into no?

Hey is there anyone that bought from "Venom" still NOT receive their comics? I sent payment on Oct 22. Waited between 2-3 weeks and still nothing arrived. Messaged him on Nov 11 and was responded on Nov 12 stating a tracking will be given but no tracking was given and no contact since then. About to fill up a dispute and give him another day or so then escalate to claim. I know he has abit of positive feedback here and sold a bunch, anyone know what's going on?

Wanted to bump this since it got lost in the Adonis fiasco. I can't remember if I bought from the same thread as you but I paid for my two Spiderverse # 2's on Nov 4th and they arrived fairly quickly. Hopefully you get yours soon. :(

. Anyone heard from Venom since 11/12? My PMs have gone unread.

Is there a link to the sales thread? I didn't read everything so sorry if it was posted already. I'd like to see how the thread was set up to see which side of the fence I'm on with this one. If the sales thread didn't guarantee a 9.8, then the buyer knew what they were getting into no?

The sales thread has been edited of all content.

The fact that he didn't post a grade for the pre-sale books is the very reason why people are saying it was implied he was guaranteeing 9.8s.

At the very least, if some buyers received 9.8s and some received 9.6s, the seller should have refunded at least a portion of the fee to the people receiving 9.6s. It wasn't a mystery box purchase; the final result shouldn't have any mystery unless explicitly stated beforehand.