• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,132 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2023 at 12:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Ah, yes… We’re these for sale or just display?

The boxed Roby Robot in the top of the second picture is exceedingly rare. Never seen that one.

I have the other ones except for the space capsule.

Still fun to see them displayed like that! 

It was a large display for a kids store selling models and toys. Lots and lots of fun stuff; part of a collection and not for sale.

The All American Collector’s Toy and Advertising show in Glendale CA Friday and Saturday. Simply the best of the best at this show. Had been running for over 40 years. A big room packed with the coolest toys and advertising items.

I arrived bright and early Friday morning and was greeted with this. Luckily, they gave us the chance to bring in our stuff on Thursday for 2 hours.

They opened at 10:00 for the rest of the dealers and early buyers. Packed in quickly with eager buyers.

Here is the badge I selected out of the 4 monster themed dealer badges. Just can’t miss with Godzilla the king of the monsters! 

IMG_7163.jpeg

IMG_7166.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

IMG_7203.jpeg

Comic books? This is NOT a comic book show but Yeah, a few folks brought quite a bit and there were of course a few comics and pulps scattered around the room from non comic folks who run into them in their travels. One guy had some nice original art that one smart and lucky guy snapped up quick..,:sorry:There were a fair amount of guys looking and buying comics specificaly. 

IMG_7165.jpeg

IMG_7179.jpeg

IMG_7178.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7198.jpeg

My summary of the show. Buyers seemed a little less than last Januarys show. But people kept coming in all day. Sales were pretty slow. A lot of grumbling in the room. The folks on either side of me barely made booth rent. There are always a few dealers who said they did great. They are probably either lying, or got lucky. It is an incredible room packed with Awsome eye candy. Easy to get blinded. A LOT if competition. Folks come in with what they want to spend and walk the room tire kicking then come back to make their buys. A lot of lowballers which I promptly and politely turned down. I am never despirit to dump a great piece cheap. Like a lot of comic shows recently, these folks are hanging on to their money a little tighter. They are looking for deals but are willing to open up for the right piece. Collectors are junkies though. No one wants to go home empty handed. 

I did just around usual and went home satisfied. I bring a large variable of items at all price levels. Made a ton of $25-75 sales. Over a hundred or more it was more of a challenge but did make a few big dollar sales that helped a lot. Definitely real good for a single cheap table show. As always, a lot of older white hair folks who still scoop up Howdy Doody, cowboys, and forgotton comic characters with little price resistance. There were a fair number of younger folks carrying action figures, video tapes, Star Wars and more modern stuff. Was literally taking money all day with very few lulls.

My best sellers? Any cool monster stuff. Beatles, Early Disney and Disneyland items. Space and Robots. Classic TV shows and Vehicle toys if all eras. Hard to find and keep this stuff long.

Had a great time, saw a lot of friends and made some new ones. Went home with a full wallet and a sore back. What more could one ask for?

A very highly recommended show maybe one of the best in the country for this material. Still lots of dealers travel cross country to set up at. Can’t wait for January! 

Edited by Robot Man

What did the Robot Man pick up? Just this stuff. None of which were from the folks who brought a lot of comics. These were from the general dealers who had a few just laying unbagged on their tables. Got to look and dig and of course get lucky. Kind of like flea market finds. Was happy to find them. Almost bought a nice 20’s-30’s era tin motorcycle toy for my collection but was just a little to much for me at the time. I made a respectable offer but got turned down. Really didn’t blame him. Stuff like this is hard to replace. 

IMG_7206.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7204.jpeg

On 8/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, Robot Man said:

IMG_7200.jpeg

I am wanting one of those Action 1 puzzles for 20 years never bid enough when they were cheap. I know there are boardie's on here that have an extra one so message me or Hulk smash.:baiting:

Haven’t done a “sub set” for a while…

Back in the day if you were lucky enough to be a kid with a quarter or two, you could buy a nice fat or REALLY fat book.

We have all seen a lot of them from the usual publishers but there are some real unusual and weird ones as well. 

IMG_7443.jpeg