• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, it sounds like Wonder Con has changed quite a bit. I have been going to this show for about fifteen years from the Moscone days. When it shifted to Anaheim under Comic Con it changed a bit but was still fun and being a local took the hassles of travel out of the equation (though going to SF for a day was always fun.) The last few years I was there pre-Covid the dealer's area got pretty slim and my buddy and I would spend half our time enjoying lunch and a beer and talking comics.

Some of those early Moscone shows were really fun with some interesting dealers who had some nice inventory. Sure miss those days.

As for pricing I've been watching the insanity of the Heritage auctions and things are literally going for twice what I think they are worth and maybe more. The number on the slab driving the pricing more than the intrinsic value of the book in hand. Sure smells like another bubble for high grade second and third tier books.

I loved those days. I could have got a slight resto Tec 31 8.0 for 6k Tec 35 beat but $150 I passed on a cgc 4.5 X-men 1 for 1200 Nice 4.0 spiderman 1 1k FF 1 vg 1k Terry had Superman 1 fair condition he wanted 11k I said 10k he told me to kick rocks nicely :headpat:Sheldon Moldoff had recreations for like 100 Batman 1s were around 7k restored really wish they would bring it back to SF 

On 3/26/2023 at 9:10 PM, woowoo said:

I loved those days. I could have got a slight resto Tec 31 8.0 for 6k Tec 35 beat but $150 I passed on a cgc 4.5 X-men 1 for 1200 Nice 4.0 spiderman 1 1k FF 1 vg 1k Terry had Superman 1 fair condition he wanted 11k I said 10k he told me to kick rocks nicely :headpat:Sheldon Moldoff had recreations for like 100 Batman 1s were around 7k restored really wish they would bring it back to SF 

May I humbly recommend the period and the comma as very innocent and highly useful contributors to sanity.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:57 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

Was there on Friday as well - was shocked to get parking right at the convention center at 11:15am. Talk about dead!

The Washington guys above got me for a couple of books - yes, the pricing was crazy, raws-for-slabbed pricing, but I was tired of searching for a high grade Dark Shadows #1. They did a bit of a discount when asked.

But yeah, some of the dealers really need a new calendar. It ain't 2021 anymore.

Do you recall what the guys from Washington were called, and if they're online ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, it sounds like Wonder Con has changed quite a bit. I have been going to this show for about fifteen years from the Moscone days. When it shifted to Anaheim under Comic Con it changed a bit but was still fun and being a local took the hassles of travel out of the equation (though going to SF for a day was always fun.) The last few years I was there pre-Covid the dealer's area got pretty slim and my buddy and I would spend half our time enjoying lunch and a beer and talking comics.

Some of those early Moscone shows were really fun with some interesting dealers who had some nice inventory. Sure miss those days.

As for pricing I've been watching the insanity of the Heritage auctions and things are literally going for twice what I think they are worth and maybe more. The number on the slab driving the pricing more than the intrinsic value of the book in hand. Sure smells like another bubble for high grade second and third tier books.

Yeah, SF was great. My wife would go up for 3 days. Got a reasonable hotel room within easy walking distance. I would go to the con on Fri and Sat and she would visit friends and go shopping. On Sun we would go to the giant Alameda flea market then drive home afterwards.

Books were reasonable and lots of smaller dealers. On several times, I got local pedigree. Books like San Francisco’s and Okajimas not noted in boxes.

I didn’t mind the move to Anaheim. Very close to home. Less smaller dealers but still a lot of out of state dealers.

I think the rising booth prices at SDCC and then Covid hit it pretty hard comic book buying wise.

Hey, it is what it is. Still went home with some fun stuff and got to chat with friends.

CalCon and Torpedo (if it happens) are a lot better for this. So there is still a little life in SO CA comic wise.

Yeah, prices on good GA have really risen and severely limit my purchases. Luckily, I am pretty complete on most of what I still collect. But sticker shock is a real eye opener…

On 3/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, Robot Man said:

My overall impression is this show is nothing like it used to be. No big corporate sponsor support like Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Mattel, Hasbro or the movie studios. The comic area was pretty sparce. Maybe the cost of booths, travel or the general economy. Maybe same weekend as Carbo’s Big Apple show (although I looked on the net and they seemed to have not many comic dealers of note). What was there was slightly limited and VERY pricey.

But I managed to fill some holes. Especially on post code Everett. Steve Wyatt from Big Wow was a big help. A super nice guy with very fair prices and willing to work with me.

But, as I always say, there is always that “one guy”. I ran into a box on the ground of a booth full of unbagged and un-priced Archie titles but mostly Suzie and Wilbur. Early ones with all the great covers. He wasn’t familiar with them and just priced them off the top of his head. I cleaned him out quick. I pulled cash out and showed him what I would pay and he jumped on it. Made the show for me!

I bought smart and came home with a satisfying little pile.

Now, I have to save up for Torpedo in July…

Suzie pics? :wishluck:

On 3/26/2023 at 8:57 PM, JQ Comics said:

I just got home from the show!! It was fun and had a good time looking at the golden age! I mostly got Silver/Bronze Age horror mags. Gonna save my mula for shortboxed live! Robot Man 🤖 i had the same problem at the torpedo booth 😅 lol

33DB3DFD-3F29-4CE4-A104-C152C8F7A268.jpeg

9E5A5E0F-86C3-44C4-BD94-F1C32816F1F0.jpeg

3B350EA0-7527-4473-8890-95693717B336.jpeg

0119A5E5-228A-45ED-9D33-9B5D7D33DF9D.jpeg

D6BAECEC-1731-4B08-A912-35EAF6BAD803.jpeg

Awsome mags! “Looking at the GA” kinda summed it up. But when life throws you lemons, you make lemonade. Or, you open your horizons to other books and maybe settle for a little lower grades.

I still managed to go home with some cool GA. A couple, I had to bend over a bit and I actually scored on some cheap Wilbur and Suzie books I wanted.

Yeah, I love John personaly and his love of the medium. I rarely even look at their books though. Just way too pricey. I kind of had to at least look due to the lack of some of my favorite dealers. I think he needs better help. That big English guy was a real snotty tool and really turned me off.

Glad you had fun and came home with something cool! 

On 3/26/2023 at 9:10 PM, woowoo said:

:preach:

On 3/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, MusterMark said:

May I humbly recommend the period and the comma as very innocent and highly useful contributors to sanity.

I am only a mechanic. Heck when I read my books, I only read what came out of their mouth not the other stuff in the yellow. I know nothing about .......... or ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, heck I don't even really know how to spell. :baiting:

On 3/27/2023 at 9:45 AM, Robot Man said:

These were the best ones. I got about half a dozen more early ones for my run as well. 

30916150-D8FB-4457-AEE2-FEA3E6A20DC3.jpeg

Wow; awesome Suzies. Been looking for an affordable 51.

What is the similarly-styled comic with a woman in a flooded apartment with a wrench?

Here is another shot of the cooler stuff I picked up. Since I am pretty complete on PCH, I started on the early post code Atlas with covers by Everett, Heath and a few others. Still a bit affordable. Same story on Schomburg Nedors. I have most of the war covers and Xela GGA covers so looking for some of the “crime” covers. Paid up for the Eerie #5. Hey, classic Wood and I have never owned a copy.

Got a bunch of low grade GA readers as well.

No real big book, but fun stuff to handle, read and keep me happy.

38C58F15-6ECB-42DA-BE9C-BF8E671E413A.jpeg

On 3/27/2023 at 7:54 AM, manetteska said:

Wow; awesome Suzies. Been looking for an affordable 51.

What is the similarly-styled comic with a woman in a flooded apartment with a wrench?

Wilbur #8. (With the spread legs cover). He didn’t have it as well as #1 or #5. I don’t think the word “affordable” pertains to Suzie #51 anymore. #73 is also a good one. VERY similar to Archie #50. This copy was probably the best condition of the bunch.

These were unbagged in a box behind the table. He said he just got them. He just quoted prices off the top of his head. He obviously, was totally unfamiliar with these. He had them priced “each”…

I only left the later ones or real beaters.

There were a few Archie’s but he wanted a lot more for them and they wern’t as early or key.

I left very happy! 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Awsome mags! “Looking at the GA” kinda summed it up. But when life throws you lemons, you make lemonade. Or, you open your horizons to other books and maybe settle for a little lower grades.

I still managed to go home with some cool GA. A couple, I had to bend over a bit and I actually scored on some cheap Wilbur and Suzie books I wanted.

Yeah, I love John personaly and his love of the medium. I rarely even look at their books though. Just way too pricey. I kind of had to at least look due to the lack of some of my favorite dealers. I think he needs better help. That big English guy was a real snotty tool and really turned me off.

Glad you had fun and came home with something cool! 

:bigsmile:Thanks bud!! Yea i was just not really into the Golden Age that i saw, plus i am trying so hard to save up for shortboxed live in May . So i had to fix my addiction with the horror mags and some bronze age horror. Man you picked up some good stuff! Yea i got love for John too and definitely needs better help, i asked for a price on a early detective and the big dude was snotty and just not feeling it so i walked away. Will you be going to shortboxed live?

:yeehaw:

On 3/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, JQ Comics said:

:bigsmile:Thanks bud!! Yea i was just not really into the Golden Age that i saw, plus i am trying so hard to save up for shortboxed live in May . So i had to fix my addiction with the horror mags and some bronze age horror. Man you picked up some good stuff! Yea i got love for John too and definitely needs better help, i asked for a price on an early detective and the big dude was snotty and just not feeling it so i walked away. Will you be going to shortboxed live?

:yeehaw:

GA books fall into basically two categories for me. Books I have and books I know I will never have. But there is that sweet spot in the middle where, if I am open minded and smart, I can still get. I am of course very lucky to have been around when most of this stuff was actually obtainable.

I think what happened to WonderCon was timing. A month ago was CalCon and a month from now is the Shortboxed show in Santa Clara. Folks spent a lot at CalCon and are saving up for Shortboxed. The economy is in flux and there is only so much money to go around.

I won’t be going to Shortboxed. I will be traveling with my wife. We have a trip planned then. Sorry to miss it, but at this point, travel and experiences trump comic books for me.

Have fun and buy all those cool GA books I won’t be able to! 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:24 AM, Robot Man said:

GA books fall into basically two categories for me. Books I have and books I know I will never have. But there is that sweet spot in the middle where, if I am open minded and smart, I can still get. I am of course very lucky to have been around when most of this stuff was actually obtainable.

I think what happened to WonderCon was timing. A month ago was CalCon and a month from now is the Shortboxed show in Santa Clara. Folks spent a lot at CalCon and are saving up for Shortboxed. The economy is in flux and there is only so much money to go around.

I won’t be going to Shortboxed. I will be traveling with my wife. We have a trip planned then. Sorry to miss it, but at this point, travel and experiences trump comic books for me.

Have fun and buy all those cool GA books I won’t be able to! 

Wise words!!

Very true Cal Con was a big success for me and was a much needed show for us GA collectors too! Family always comes firsti travel for comics and travel with family and shut down my phone when i am with them. Safe Travels my friend ✈️ 

Il make sure to post pictures of what i got! :yeehaw:

I was actually at Disneyland from Wednesday to Friday last week and mentioned to my wife that we could drive back to New Mexico on Sunday instead of Saturday and go to Wondercon.  And, well... we drove back on Saturday. :whistle:  Looks like I missed a so so time!

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 3/29/2023 at 9:57 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I was actually at Disneyland from Wednesday to Friday last week and mentioned to my wife that we could drive back to New Mexico on Sunday instead of Saturday and go to Wondercon.  And, well... we drove back on Saturday. :whistle:  Looks like I missed a so so time!

Too bad, you should have gone one day. It is now a one day show for me. In spite of everything said, I bought some cool stuff, got to see friends and had a good time. Now, 3 days at Disneyland, no thanks. I am able to go anytime I want. Other than a couple of times with my grandaughters, I can’t remember the last time I’ve been there.