• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

Hit the dealers area. As I expected VERY slim. Mostly west coast and SO CA dealers most I have picked clean of any GA I wanted. A lot of unnamed dealers that I just don’t buy from for various reasons. Was pretty easy to wall browse and box pick in a few hours. Was hoping for a “big” book or two but just didn’t see anything that I didn’t already have, was very practical or even very emotional. Some random wall shots…

D7274626-8DE6-40AF-984A-B5E689743CE3.jpeg

B2C95CAD-0476-4CA2-8A21-274CB19BB4FC.jpeg

EB891E3B-FF42-4B3F-A48E-13F45215499F.jpeg

5AC4CF61-C3DC-45E6-8BE7-6255F8F61E75.jpeg

88015171-C504-481D-AAC2-1DF7A004308E.jpeg

Torpedo… I pulled down a couple of post code Everett books to look at. Tried to make a fair offer on them but the big guy with the English accent who is Pawn Stars “comic expert” was firm and a bit snooty, so I pleasently handed them back and moved on. Pretty sure John would have worked with me but he wasn’t there. 

DD218DF0-4DE6-48C3-9E60-055DECFAFBC6.jpeg

8A0957BF-F9E8-486D-A4C4-43B89313CD85.jpeg

On 3/26/2023 at 11:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Anybody else go to this show? Would really like to hear your observations.

Was there on Friday as well - was shocked to get parking right at the convention center at 11:15am. Talk about dead!

The Washington guys above got me for a couple of books - yes, the pricing was crazy, raws-for-slabbed pricing, but I was tired of searching for a high grade Dark Shadows #1. They did a bit of a discount when asked.

But yeah, some of the dealers really need a new calendar. It ain't 2021 anymore.

On 3/26/2023 at 2:57 PM, El Toro Rojo said:

Was there on Friday as well - was shocked to get parking right at the convention center at 11:15am. Talk about dead!

The Washington guys above got me for a couple of books - yes, the pricing was crazy, raws-for-slabbed pricing, but I was tired of searching for a high grade Dark Shadows #1. They did a bit of a discount when asked.

But yeah, some of the dealers really need a new calendar. It ain't 2021 anymore.

Yeah, Friday seemed pretty quiet. I spoke to a few boardies and friends and it seemed most were there for one big book. A dealer that had it, might have done well. But if not, sales seemed light.

I was also looking for a special book but no avail. I just spread my spending around several dealers I liked on checking off a few cool want list books and upgrading. I brought a large wad of cash as well as my cards. I came home with 2/3’s of my cash and didn’t need the cards.

I went back on Sat with my son in law and my two grandaughters. Got there about an hour after opening. We parked in the venue lot and walked right in to get my son in law’s pass. It seems like not long ago it was online ticketing only and sold out.

Seemed a little busier but we had no trouble walking around.

Yeah, the guys with the big price stickers from WA looked like they wanted to make their show with just a few sales. Prices were so high, I just didn’t even want to try and make an offer. I understand paying up even a bit hard if you really want the book, but even though they had a couple of interest to me, I just didn’t want them bad enough.

Hey, had a fun local weekend. Got a nice little pile without all the crowds and expense of SDCC. And watching my grandaughters at their first con made it all worth while. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, Friday seemed pretty quiet. I spoke to a few boardies and friends and it seemed most were there for one big book. A dealer that had it, might have done well. But if not, sales seemed light.

I was also looking for a special book but no avail. I just spread my spending around several dealers I liked on checking off a few cool want list books and upgrading. I brought a large wad of cash as well as my cards. I came home with 2/3’s of my cash and didn’t need the cards.

I went back on Sat with my son in law and my two grandaughters. Got there about an hour after opening. We parked in the venue lot and walked right in to get my son in law’s pass. It seems like not long ago it was online ticketing only and sold out.

Seemed a little busier but we had no trouble walking around.

Yeah, the guys with the big price stickers from WA looked like they wanted to make their show with just a few sales. Prices were so high, I just didn’t even want to try and make an offer. I understand paying up even a bit hard if you really want the book, but even though they had a couple of interest to me, I just didn’t want them bad enough.

Hey, had a fun local weekend. Got a nice little pile without all the crowds and expense of SDCC. And watching my grandaughters at their first con made it all worth while. 

Wow, it sounds like Wonder Con has changed quite a bit. I have been going to this show for about fifteen years from the Moscone days. When it shifted to Anaheim under Comic Con it changed a bit but was still fun and being a local took the hassles of travel out of the equation (though going to SF for a day was always fun.) The last few years I was there pre-Covid the dealer's area got pretty slim and my buddy and I would spend half our time enjoying lunch and a beer and talking comics.

Some of those early Moscone shows were really fun with some interesting dealers who had some nice inventory. Sure miss those days.

As for pricing I've been watching the insanity of the Heritage auctions and things are literally going for twice what I think they are worth and maybe more. The number on the slab driving the pricing more than the intrinsic value of the book in hand. Sure smells like another bubble for high grade second and third tier books.