• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

I should have taken more shots of the stores but I did get one storefront and a shot of a high end tube amp. There’s a great variety of things there beyond manga and figures like model trains, bookstores and even military gear! Wish we had a mall like this in the states!

Best wishes for a 2024 filled with amazing junk!

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.41608f8c9e6abddf2e036cf18033fa0b.jpeg

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.9c4b1492357bb71d23718f9bdd764a4e.jpeg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

The only place I have found old comics in Tokyo is a used bookstore in a small bookstore neighborhood. It is adjacent to a music supply neighborhood which my daughter wanted to visit; so we trekked down to the bookstore after the music store visit. I walked in and was disappointed to find all the comics had been removed and I couldn't figure out where they might have gone. As we left we noticed a sign on the door indicating they had opened a new store down the street a bit. We trekked down there and found a much bigger store stocked with old magazines and the comics from the other store. But there was a nice surprise in that there was a nice stack of vintage Dell Little Lulus. Most were pretty beat up but I picked up a decent copy of #20 for a good price. I wonder how this little stack of Lulus got to Japan??

Lulu20.thumb.jpg.241a478565e8f52eab5ddaada837ae3e.jpg

On 1/1/2024 at 9:28 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wonder how this little stack of Lulus got to Japan??

Given the publishing timeframe, most likely related to American military stationed in Japan (or their dependents).

The January All American Collector’s Show is in the books. This show has gone on for close to 50 years in Glendale CA. Easily, the best show of its kind on the West Coast. The beautiful amount of vintage toys, advertising and other “Americana” is just stunning. Anything and everything can turn up in this room. 

IMG_8106.jpeg

All in all a VERY fun show. One of my best to date. Maybe the weather (although raining this weekend) but there were a lot of out of state buyers and dealers in attendence.  Don’t let the bs gloom and doom about the economy get to you. People packed the place and were handing over large amounts of cash for nice items. I came home with several empty bins. Just got to think it out and bring a wide variety of items in all price ranges. Already looking forward to the August show! 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:34 AM, jimjum12 said:

I had forgotten "The Witch", I never even saw it for sale back in the 60's and I had most of them.:cloud9:  GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Another .... I never EVER saw an actual Boot Hill Express for sale ... I know, I'm dating myself. I do still have the XL5 Lunchbox :cloud9: GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/23/2023 at 6:06 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This Godzilla seemed pretty old and quite unique.

IMG_2155.jpeg

Looks like seventies BullMark tin remote control Godzilla.  Marusan produced this product with a blue controller in 1964 to coincide with the Godzilla vs the Thing (Mothra).  Marusan went bankrupt in1968.

With the current yen to dollar exchange rate, appears to be a good buy.

Here is a photo from the internet, but not mine.

IMG_3115.jpeg.ce20d50a97190789824a1301ed3df847.jpeg

Edited by BitterOldMan
Added more information

On 1/22/2024 at 12:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Toys, toys, toys… Early to modern. I tend to gravitate to the superheroes and monster stuff the most. 

IMG_8094.jpeg

Awesome photos Bob; I miss that show but should make August! I need one of those Toronado models; I've been eying up a full size one for years.