• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2023 at 10:57 PM, PopKulture said:

You never see those Zip's! :applause:

Indeed. There were actually quite a few in the room. There is still a few I need but those wern’t there. And they were VERY pricey. One guy had a bunch of Top Notch’s but again none I needed. Don’t think I saw a single Blue Ribbon…

On 7/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, Robot Man said:

A great show for those of us who love to buy comics. Something for every budget from GA to modern. Prices ran the gamut. Some crazy prices and for those who are willing to work the room a lot of bargains.

Very very nice report. It was almost like having a live tour guide. I went Sunday, but being quite new, it was a bit overwhelming going from booth to booth, or shall I say, wall to wall. I seemed to have missed many of the dealers you highlighted. Or maybe I just don’t remember due to the overload. I only wished I read your report before I went!

On 7/17/2023 at 6:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Some various wall shots. Some just amazing books in this room. Whatever us LA collectors leave will probably move down the 5 freeway…

IMG_7080.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

The prices on those Marvel Family books are shocking. That title was such an off brand of an off brand for years. Wonder if they are especially high grade; otherwise I don't get it. Or is it Black Adam mania?

On 7/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The prices on those Marvel Family books are shocking. That title was such an off brand of an off brand for years. Wonder if they are especially high grade; otherwise I don't get it. Or is it Black Adam mania?

There are a lot of books with prices that seem out of whack. That being said, dealers know how hard it is to replace the scarcer books. Buyers reserve the right as always to just pass on by. :preach:

On 7/17/2023 at 3:01 PM, CCEC said:

Very very nice report. It was almost like having a live tour guide. I went Sunday, but being quite new, it was a bit overwhelming going from booth to booth, or shall I say, wall to wall. I seemed to have missed many of the dealers you highlighted. Or maybe I just don’t remember due to the overload. I only wished I read your report before I went!

Sorry, I was beat when I got home and had to get ready for another show Sunday morning.

Even I was a bit overwhelmed when I walked in. I just walked the big oval noting who was there and where they were. There are dealers I buy from and some I don’t. I just hit the folks I like the most. Carefully scanning the wall and a through search of the boxes. I move on skipping some. I also look for newcomers who have the type of books I want. Those are often where the best deals are. When I think I’ve picked the room, I go socialize and catch up with friends. I caught up with some old friends and made some new ones. I felt no need for a second day at that point.

Was a GREAT show!

On 7/17/2023 at 5:01 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I no longer collect many Fawcetts. I pretty much have what I really want. They have always been underpriced on some but apparently prices have caught up. So I didn’t really notice.

I was in Terry’s booth and he was fingering a Fawcett box of his and complaining that nobody bought them anymore. So I took a look. Lots of lower demand lower grade ones at crazy “Terry prices”. No wonder they aren’t selling.

I looked at his wall and made a scan of his boxes and ended up just buying a couple of books. And yeah, I paid too much…

On 7/17/2023 at 5:16 PM, PopKulture said:

There are a lot of books with prices that seem out of whack. That being said, dealers know how hard it is to replace the scarcer books. Buyers reserve the right as always to just pass on by. :preach:

Yeah, real hard to replace quality material. Especially when buying from other dealers. Private collections coming out aren’t many. I suspect most profit margins are pretty slim.

I did a lot of walking on Sat…

On 7/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, Robot Man said:

You looked tired. Hopefully, not bored. Did you get a chance to find any books? Saw a lot of Bakers there. Either ones I had or didn’t want. Then, they wern’t exactly cheap. I’m sure Carey got some. 

I got a few little books for the PC. A couple romance lookers from a friend and fellow boardie, a Peanuts and a low grade but decent presenting Archie 13.  My previous copy of Archie 13 was the Promise Copy but this was around 4% of the cost.  

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

On 7/17/2023 at 9:39 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I got a few little books for the PC. A couple romance lookers from a friend and fellow boardie, a Peanuts and a low grade but decent presenting Archie 13.  My previous copy of Archie 13 was the Promise Copy but this was around 4% of the cost.  

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

That Archie 13 is a great one. The Promise would be Awsome, but I would have no trouble with that one! 

On 7/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, Hap Hazard said:

Hey Bob,

Any Tales of Terror # 1's in the room?

Looking for an upgrade already Steve? @Hap Hazard. It appears that CC will be having the “Bobby Blue” copy coming up at auction soon…(worship)

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filters=1&stock_category_id[0][o]=E&stock_category_id[0][v]=1&search=bobby+blue&selfiltertype=Comics&page=3&tzf=1

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/19/2023 at 12:00 AM, Robot Man said:

I picked up only two “Love” books. This I Love You issue was one I’d never seen. Such great dialogue and I one of only a few “grey tone” covers I’ve seen on a romance book.

The Lovers Lane was one I was looking for for a while. Found it buried in one of the smaller dealers boxes VERY cheap :banana:

IMG_7093.jpeg

Boy this sure reminds me of how those Charltons in the early seventies really felt like an inferior product. Other than E-Man there were few I would buy from the newstand in those days.