• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2024 at 7:54 PM, Robot Man said:

All in all, a very fun way to spend a day! And, unlike comics, nothing that broke the bank!

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some old paper to sniff!

Thanks for the great pictorial of your adventure at the show!

On 3/17/2024 at 7:51 PM, Robot Man said:

A few Digests. I like these generally better than PBs. Easier to pick out on a table but less of them to choose from.

A cool dope book I had never seen. “Dream Club” and another LB Cole cover I didn’t have.

IMG_8493.jpeg

IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8481.jpeg

Nice picks - I saw those others but not "Raging Passions" or it would have been a duel :sumo:

On 3/17/2024 at 7:37 PM, Robot Man said:

A very fun pretty girl who looked like a lot of the covers on the books in the room!

IMG_8469.jpeg

There were 1000% mo better looking wimmen at this show than I saw at Windy City the last two years. Cali got the goods as far as PB Grrrls :bigsmile:

I love this show! Wish I could have been there! A few years back I got to meet Lupoff at the show and grabbed an autograph on my well read copy of AICFD. I would have snagged that Classic Comics peeking out of the comic pile if it was an interesting book. That copy of the East Village Other also looks intriguing. Those early counter culture newspapers are interesting reads and don't show up too often; they mostly got tossed in the bin.

I always find something intriguing at this show; I picked up a pile of Humbug magazines at the last one I attended. 

Looks like great fun Bob!!

AICFDCover.thumb.jpg.f837c5d81ab38c011e88c357f130067e.jpg

AICFDSignature.thumb.jpg.0a8f017e92cf6067d7df29ce3dda3531.jpg

Humbug234.thumb.jpg.88e2117c8a4b22d27cbf5206463e0d37.jpg

On 3/18/2024 at 3:14 PM, Darwination said:

The EVO cover looks like Crumb to me, I noticed that one, too.  Finding the underground papers is tough in the first place, finding them unfolded is a miracle.

Crumb for sure!

On 3/18/2024 at 10:51 AM, Robot Man said:

A few Digests. I like these generally better than PBs. Easier to pick out on a table but less of them to choose from.

A cool dope book I had never seen. “Dream Club” and another LB Cole cover I didn’t have.

IMG_8493.jpeg

IMG_8482.jpeg

IMG_8481.jpeg

Awesome pick ups!! Dream club is a tougher book. It was originally printed with the title "Beyond Desire" which is even harder to find. 

Edited by The-Collector

On 3/17/2024 at 9:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Nice picks - I saw those others but not "Raging Passions" or it would have been a duel :sumo:

Hey, I got it with the rest of the others I posted all from the same booth. I may be old, but I still have a good enough eye to snap up a gem from you young wippersnappers! :baiting:

On 3/18/2024 at 4:16 AM, The-Collector said:

Awesome pick ups!! Dream club is a tougher book. It was originally printed with the title "Beyond Desire" which is even harder to find. 

It was a “crime of opportunity”. I’d never seen it before. PBs and Digests are SO much cheaper than the comics I usually buy. And, although I don’t have the patience to look through endless rows of spines, Digests usually pop out easier when you can find them. 

On 3/17/2024 at 9:40 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Great minds think alike:headbang:  I picked up a minty copy of "Country Girl" from Kayo along with a great high grade Two-Fisted digest and the Gil Brewer classic PBO "Nude On Thin Ice"   Tough books all around. I ended up buying a big enough stack from Kayo that they are shipping them to me :)  Super nice folks with more of the higher end stuff I like than most sellers there.

20240317_141950.thumb.jpg.0c17c105bc086edd3084a19de9d321fe.jpg

Kayo is the best dealer at the show. I always hit them first. I always get a stack from them. If you like their show stock, you really should visit their store in Berkeley. Place is packed. 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:57 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I love this show! Wish I could have been there! A few years back I got to meet Lupoff at the show and grabbed an autograph on my well read copy of AICFD. I would have snagged that Classic Comics peeking out of the comic pile if it was an interesting book. That copy of the East Village Other also looks intriguing. Those early counter culture newspapers are interesting reads and don't show up too often; they mostly got tossed in the bin.

I always find something intriguing at this show; I picked up a pile of Humbug magazines at the last one I attended. 

Looks like great fun Bob!!

AICFDCover.thumb.jpg.f837c5d81ab38c011e88c357f130067e.jpg

AICFDSignature.thumb.jpg.0a8f017e92cf6067d7df29ce3dda3531.jpg

Humbug234.thumb.jpg.88e2117c8a4b22d27cbf5206463e0d37.jpg

Yeah, one of my favorite shows of the year. You never know what turns up there. Missed you brother!

I also got Lupoff to sign my copy of that book a few years ago. Cool guy.

I bet you bought those Humbugs from my friend Kookie. He sets up right next to Kayo Books. He is a local flea market prowler and former comic store owner. He turns up real cool stuff. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Kayo is the best dealer at the show. I always hit them first. I always get a stack from them. If you like their show stock, you really should visit their store in Berkeley. Place is packed. 

I thought KAYO was still in SF on Post street, even after the recent move?

I've gotten so many great books from them over the years it's ridiculous.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:
On 3/18/2024 at 7:16 AM, The-Collector said:

It was a “crime of opportunity”. I’d never seen it before. PBs and Digests are SO much cheaper than the comics I usually buy. And, although I don’t have the patience to look through endless rows of spines, Digests usually pop out easier when you can find them. 

It's a great drug book and great cover. When you look at the copyright page, it says "Second Printing" but it's actually the Second Printing of "Beyond Desire" with a new title and same cover art.  That used to confuse the heck out of people who went looking for the First Printing of "Dream Club" and thought it was a unicorn (well, Beyond Desire is a bit of a unicorn :))

On 3/18/2024 at 7:59 AM, OtherEric said:

I thought KAYO was still in SF on Post street, even after the recent move?

I've gotten so many great books from them over the years it's ridiculous.

Well, technically Berkeley is in San Francisco. Haven’t been up there since Covid though.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:01 AM, Surfing Alien said:

It's a great drug book and great cover. When you look at the copyright page, it says "Second Printing" but it's actually the Second Printing of "Beyond Desire" with a new title and same cover art.  That used to confuse the heck out of people who went looking for the First Printing of "Dream Club" and thought it was a unicorn (well, Beyond Desire is a bit of a unicorn :))

I dunno but I was “hooked” when I saw it…:devil:

On 3/18/2024 at 8:07 AM, Robot Man said:

Well, technically Berkeley is in San Francisco. Haven’t been up there since Covid though.

See, I've got Kayo down as the amazing book store in SF proper and Moe's Books as the amazing bookstore in Berkley.  The problem with that definition is what to call Borderlands in that case, I supposed we could claim Haight is not only another city but since 1968 has been another planet entirely?