• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,106 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2024 at 10:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Kayo is the best dealer at the show. I always hit them first. I always get a stack from them. If you like their show stock, you really should visit their store in Berkeley. Place is packed. 

Kayo was great, Maria and I were best buds by the end of the show. I bought a big enough stack from them that they are going to mail it to me free of charge :headbang:  They had some great deals on a side bookshelf with unbagged pbs. Of course, I bought plenty off their main table as well. They know their pbs and values but were all very fairly priced and they gave me a good chop off the price of my stack :)

My only regret is that I didn't buy the real nice copy of "Marihuana" they had. It's not as nice as my copy but one of the better ones I've seen. I was at their table for quite a while and I needed to move on to see what else was around the room and when I came back later some smart person had snapped it up. I could tell they sold a lot of books as their stacks were well thinned by my second go-round.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:11 AM, OtherEric said:

See, I've got Kayo down as the amazing book store in SF proper and Moe's Books as the amazing bookstore in Berkley.  The problem with that definition is what to call Borderlands in that case, I supposed we could claim Haight is not only another city but since 1968 has been another planet entirely?

Yeah, you are right. Moe’s is in Berkeley. Both great “old school” bookshops. Shops like that are disappearing fast, sadly.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:31 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, you are right. Moe’s is in Berkeley. Both great “old school” bookshops. Shops like that are disappearing fast, sadly.

San Francisco at least seems to have a decent selection still.  Or maybe my view is skewed because I travel all over the area whenever I go down there...

It's easy to miss how good the stores you visit regularly are, because you know them so well.

On 3/18/2024 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

So what was your assessment of the show? Sounds like you bought a lot. Good selection? Good prices? Any standouts? Worth a trip across country? Are you as “spine blind” as I am?…:roflmao:

My assessment, as well as most of the dealers I spoke to was that it was "vibrant". From open to close there were more people coming in and the variety of people was much greater than at Windy City for pulps. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that there's really something for everybody in paperbacks and the affordability factor. There were rows and rows of 4 for $10 and 1/2 price and just generally inexpensive vintage pbs from the 40's through the present of every genre. Exactly the kind of stuff that has general appeal to folks of all ages and budgets.

I bought all I could carry, as I've mentioned, I wish I had a truck (or brought a carry-on at least lol). For someone who loves vintage pbs it's kinda like heaven to be around so many :cloud9:

As mentioned above - great overall selection - I didn't find a few particular grails I was looking for, but I'm used to that :cry:  I was kinda hoping there would be a whale there with copies of RSG and other big books on the wall, but no RSG, not even a copy of the Ace "Junkie", which was somewhat surprising because it's relatively common, if expensive. Kayo and Terry had some bigger books, but I already have the ones I want of those, although I would have bought Kayo's "Marihuana" if it was still there went I did my second round.

Prices ranged from dirt cheap to fair market. Everyone gave good discounts on a stack.

I've already posted some standouts in the pulp section, here's a couple more:

I did get one Cole (that has become impossible to find lately)

20240318_090314.thumb.jpg.e83821465b37cbdcb95ab1a571fd1526.jpg

These you don't see every day:

20240318_090408.thumb.jpg.f1c2826e055f32e82a2fe37bd0b76059.jpg

It was worth the trip for sure. Everyone had great attitudes and the conversations were fun.

It is definitely dizzying to look at so many spines. I'm not used to seeing so many pbs displayed that way. I literally did not know which way to turn at certain points of the day :roflmao:

The Shock Mystery's a funky throwback to the weird menace style

I noticed these in a pic from the other thread.  I guess those are the two magazine-sized (saddle-stiched I assume) issues that ended the run.

20240317_101926.thumb.jpg.c8726e55125dfa817273a1f676cc1b02.jpg.8e32dc7b25359476c7f9eee2c74b6b88.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 10:25 AM, Surfing Alien said:

My assessment, as well as most of the dealers I spoke to was that it was "vibrant". From open to close there were more people coming in and the variety of people was much greater than at Windy City for pulps. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that there's really something for everybody in paperbacks and the affordability factor. There were rows and rows of 4 for $10 and 1/2 price and just generally inexpensive vintage pbs from the 40's through the present of every genre. Exactly the kind of stuff that has general appeal to folks of all ages and budgets.

I bought all I could carry, as I've mentioned, I wish I had a truck (or brought a carry-on at least lol). For someone who loves vintage pbs it's kinda like heaven to be around so many :cloud9:

As mentioned above - great overall selection - I didn't find a few particular grails I was looking for, but I'm used to that :cry:  I was kinda hoping there would be a whale there with copies of RSG and other big books on the wall, but no RSG, not even a copy of the Ace "Junkie", which was somewhat surprising because it's relatively common, if expensive. Kayo and Terry had some bigger books, but I already have the ones I want of those, although I would have bought Kayo's "Marihuana" if it was still there went I did my second round.

Prices ranged from dirt cheap to fair market. Everyone gave good discounts on a stack.

I've already posted some standouts in the pulp section, here's a couple more:

I did get one Cole (that has become impossible to find lately)

20240318_090314.thumb.jpg.e83821465b37cbdcb95ab1a571fd1526.jpg

These you don't see every day:

20240318_090408.thumb.jpg.f1c2826e055f32e82a2fe37bd0b76059.jpg

It was worth the trip for sure. Everyone had great attitudes and the conversations were fun.

It is definitely dizzying to look at so many spines. I'm not used to seeing so many pbs displayed that way. I literally did not know which way to turn at certain points of the day :roflmao:

Vibrant and busy was a good way to describe it. In the era of digital reading, always nice to see “page turners” of all ages. Glad to hear it was a worthwhile trip.

Sorry to miss that “Love Hungry” one I’ve never seen before. I would have been on that like flies on you know what! I also missed a couple of pulps from the guy in the back by Terry. He had a nice selection at very fair pre-CGC prices. One of my buddies got a couple I’d have jumped if I got there first. I eyed Kayo’s “Marijuana” long and hard but in the end just couldn’t justify it.

I got a lot of great deals and came home with a nice pile of a bit of everything for a tiny fraction of what I would have spent on GA comics. Fun show!

Edited by Robot Man

Robot Man

Anytime I see these ads I think of you.  

I recently bought a few old Canadian "Active Comics" from 1942.  They were totally going after the membership club thing like all of the US comics from that era.

Have you ever found anything from the "Active Club"?  Looks like there might be a badge.

Read the ad page... it's pretty interesting.

IMG_4786.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

On 3/19/2024 at 11:51 AM, Robot Man said:

Vibrant and busy was a good way to describe it. In the era of digital reading, always nice to see “page turners” of all ages. Glad to hear it was a worthwhile trip.

Sorry to miss that “Love Hungry” one I’ve never seen before. I would have been on that like flies on you know what! I also missed a couple of pulps from the guy in the back by Terry. He had a nice selection at very fair pre-CGC prices. One of my buddies got a couple I’d have jumped if I got there first. I eyed Kayo’s “Marijuana” long and hard but in the end just couldn’t justify it.

I got a lot of great deals and came home with a nice pile of a bit of everything for a tiny fraction of what I would have spent on GA comics. Fun show!

(worship)

Thanks for doing a proper report, Bob. People don't realize how much time one of those takes. I mean to at most of the shows I go to, not many, but I usually forget to. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/21/2024 at 4:52 PM, gadzukes said:

Robot Man

Anytime I see these ads I think of you.  

I recently bought a few old Canadian "Active Comics" from 1942.  They were totally going after the membership club thing like all of the US comics from that era.

Have you ever found anything from the "Active Club"?  Looks like there might be a badge.

Read the ad page... it's pretty interesting.

IMG_4786.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Thanks. No, I have never seen anything from the Active Club. Not suprising living in the US, I rarely even see Canadian comics.

I enjoy reading these ads. I was always a sucker for these clubs as a kid and sent away for a lot.

The emblem sounds like maybe a patch not a badge. But you also got a certificate and a fun decoder for your 15 cents. And the anticipation of waiting for it.

I will keep my eye out for it! 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:55 AM, jimjum12 said:

(worship)

Thanks for doing a proper report, Bob. People don't realize how much time one of those takes. I mean to at most of the shows I go to, not many, but I usually forget to. GOD BLESS ... 

You bet Jim. My pleasure. I like to read these from others myself. Gives one an idea of what other shows are like. Helps to know the current market across the country.

When I go to a show I am “working”. I don’t socialize much. I’m busy box diving and picking. When I am done, I drift through, take some pictures of anything of interest and chat with my friends and get a feeling from various dealers as to the “vibe” that day. Really, doesn’t take much to do it and I know you other folks find it fun.

Expect another one next weekend as WonderCon is coming up.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Billy and Bobby from Jacksonville, FL in 1945 with their spanking new copies of Jingle Jangle #15. 

IMG_8464.jpeg

Barely an hour out of the gate, and they're already VG :cloud9: ....GOD BLESS ...

On 3/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, Robot Man said:

Actually, I have very few of these (men's sweat mags). Just don’t run into them much out here.

Surely there must have been more than a few at the Los Angeles Vintage Paperback Collectors Show!

???

On 3/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, ThothAmon said:

Any idea what this ring was a premium for?  Seemed to go for a pretty penny on eBay

IMG_1590.jpeg

1938 Quaker Oats Monogram Ring. Attributed to Mr. Tracy. I am quite surprised at the closing number. A tough piece but not all that exciting. A couple of Tracy completeists must have wanted it bad. Heck, I’d sell mine for a WHOLE lot less…:roflmao:

IMG_8693.jpeg

IMG_8695.jpeg

On 3/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

Barely an hour out of the gate, and they're already VG :cloud9: ....GOD BLESS ...

Is that all that surprising? They were cheap items for kids. We used to roll them up or stuff them in our backpacks after hitting the drug store on our way home from school on our Sting Ray bikes. No one was concerned about condition or future value then.