• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

It was just an OK day, got real nice 1939 cast iron Lone Ranger cap gun with holster and a beautiful 1920’s Baseball game. I also hit up a guy with a bunch of vintage paper backs for a buck apiece. In the pile was this one. Dated 1945 right after the atomic bomb was dropped. Signaled the “Atomic Age” in America. Cool book full of photos and information. A good buy for a buck doncha think?

80E6D996-ACFC-4601-B79B-3207E9A6F837.jpeg

47EF2A2B-E2F9-43E4-96A1-891D74C363DB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

It was just an OK day, got real nice 1939 cast iron Lone Ranger cap gun with holster and a beautiful 1920’s Baseball game. I also hit up a guy with a bunch of vintage paper backs for a buck apiece. In the pile was this one. Dated 1945 right after the atomic bomb was dropped. Signaled the “Atomic Age” in America. Cool book full of photos and information. A good buy for a buck doncha think?

47EF2A2B-E2F9-43E4-96A1-891D74C363DB.jpeg

Buy that for a dollar?

Sure - but I think the cover art may have been a little rushed . . .

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think Pocket gets overlooked. I mean, I love Avon and Popular Library as much as the next curmudgeon, but there are really a lot of hidden and not-so-hidden gems in the lengthy Pocket run.

16555143.08877909.640.jpg

22506721.dc11e0ed.640.jpg

35376667.9a57b373.640.jpg

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Went to one of my favorite flea markets on Sunday. It was a brisk 34 degrees when I  got  there at 5:00 am. This is what it looked like a couple hours later.

B80C8F45-D43A-486E-B51B-296DF22C8ED5.jpeg

09D89AA6-530C-4A4C-B234-9EE7AF5FF5A8.jpeg

Looks like the San Gabriels in the background..... which foothill city were you in?

--ElJay

5 hours ago, EBE said:

Looks like the San Gabriels in the background..... which foothill city were you in?

--ElJay

Right you are Eljay. Pasadena CA. I grew up there. The street you see at the stop light in the top picture is Colorado Blvd. (where the New Years Rose Bowl parade is every year). I know 34 degrees isn't that cold to a lot of you guys. But  mighty chilly for me at 5:00 AM. But if you want to score great stuff at great prices, it's the price you pay...

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Went to one of my favorite flea markets on Sunday. It was a brisk 34 degrees when I  got  there at 5:00 am. This is what it looked like a couple hours later.

09D89AA6-530C-4A4C-B234-9EE7AF5FF5A8.jpeg

Where I live they close off roads too, but because the President is out for a ride or some foreign VIP is in town.  Would rather have flea markets!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Right you are Eljay. Pasadena CA. I grew up there. The street you see at the stop light in the top picture is Colorado Blvd. (where the New Years Rose Bowl parade is every year). I know 34 degrees isn't that cold to a lot of you guys. But  mighty chilly for me at 5:00 AM. But if you want to score great stuff at great prices, it's the price you pay...

"She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard.  Go granny, go granny, go granny, go!"

10 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Where I live they close off roads too, but because the President is out for a ride or some foreign VIP is in town.  Would rather have flea markets!

This show is actually in 2 two outdoor parking lots on Colorado Blvd. There also 3 floors of an indoor parking garage. Lots of moving and walking but my favorite buying show of the month. I always come home with something good. Sometimes even comics...

Luckily, this President doesn’t want to come out here :banana:

Mailman brought me a couple of very cool books yesterday. I'm probably the only one who appreciated the funny animal work of Al Fago. I have a lot of his Frisky covers. I think he was a big influence of L.B. Cole who took over from him in the later issues of these.

comfriskyfablesV2#4.jpg

comfriskyfablesV3#3.jpg

On 3/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Been a good week. Got this at a garage sale this morning about 2 blocks away while walking the dogs. It is a composition bobble head probably early '60's. So cheap and just had to have it!

elviscowboynod1.jpg

Elvis??  Possibly released in connection with his role in Flaming Star? hm

On 9 March 2018 at 3:20 AM, Robot Man said:

Oh, that 34... here I was thinking that was pretty warm for 5AM, and that it must have been a stinking hot day! #notCelcius

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Oh, that 34... here I was thinking that was pretty warm for 5AM, and that it must have been a stinking hot day! #notCelcius

Our blood is a little thin out here. But wouldn’t stop me. So glad I can go “junking” all year round! :banana:

I don't suppose many of you noticed the ebay seller who was just selling the comic book and pulp membership cards. Wow, for premiums, they went for some pretty stiff prices. I knew the Capt. America Sentinentals of Liberty Card would do well and it did at $430. I think the Shield G-Man card also did pretty well at $203. A year ago they would have probably gone for half of that even though they are pretty hard to come by.

What surprised me though, were the two pulp cards Friends of the Phantom at $267 and the G-Men Club at $360!!! Pulp premiums are very hard to find since they were aimed at adults but there has never seemed to be a lot of pulp collectors that wanted them.

I took a real stiff swing at the G-Men Club card since I didn't have it and I already had the badge. I was left at the starting gate out of gas. :sorry:Sometimes I really wonder what it takes to get stuff anymore. Everything is just getting crazy.

It appears that the premium market is a lot stronger than I thought and is starting to make a come back, Great if you are selling but not so good if you are buying...