• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

I just spent about 45 minutes writing up a report, hit submit and got an error message. I ain't writing it again but this:

Thank you Bob Storms

Thank you Terry

Thank you Greg Reece

Thank you Dale Roberts

I bought from these guys at Wondercon  and if I didn't buy from them at the con it's cause I bought it all from their website

Edited by NoMan

Thanks for the report Robot Man. This show reminded me of what San Diego was like in the early nineties. Lots of fun and lots of comics (though back then San Diego had more.) Anyway Busted Flush and I came away with big smiles and had a really great time for a con this size. I did some box diving and came up with some treasures on the cheap. The best obsure book was this Real Fact from Terry. I also was way happy to pick up five early sixties Mads in the grab bag table of Bronze Age books at 5 for $20. And that great rack of books earlier was Torpedo Comics and those were K's after the price with the exception of All Star 8 priced with an M!! $1.5 of them M's would have taken it home. Count that out in hundreds!

tn_RealFact14.jpg

tn_Mads.jpg

tn_MadSpecial.jpg

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I agree Mitch. I didn’t figure I’d find much but boy was I wrong. Maybe the biggest haul of nice books I’ve ever got at a con. Easy parking, good crowd but very easy to get around. Lots of folks that say they have quit SDCS.

Interesting development. Torpedo comics has announced a con the week before SDCS with a killer dealer list and growing. One day affair like Terry’s show. Might be the death of comic dealers at SDCS...

In The early  Cons of the 70's Gold and Silver dealers dominated the convention floor and comic books were the main focus , today even if the Gold/Silver section were to go away the conventions would not, especially SDCC. Still it feels that this is the  best balanced show and you have room and time to TALK to people. Some of the interesting things I found out, Mad, thru Jack Richard still has a circulation of 150,000 and and is moving production to California, Jack thinks even if print comics decline Mad Mag will outlast them print wise. I talked to several people that download their comics now and they listed not having drive to a shop, and the ability to get it instantly as the major factors for the change so the medium will NOT die and folks will be interested for a long time in comic art. I was encouraged  by the young wave of new creators and their energy...talked to several of them and encouraged them to follow their dreams. Did not see a lot of cheap solo dealers with $1 books, which I feel is necessary to get new people in comic book buying and possibly collecting. On the flip side a lot great and new projects out there relating to comic art and comic books. I was happy to talk to the ERB estate, and they are hopping for a "netflix" 8-10 hour  series  on a John Carter Reboot. The back  issue market is strong but the dynamics of selling has changed to Auction, E-bay, and Amazon, so I see a continuing  decline of dealers coming to shows or a decrease in table size and hopefully there can be some type of discount for the "old time dealers" otherwise cheaper venues will pop up and take the slack such as Terry's show in CA...which should look to expand in terms of days and location if possible. Amazon knocked out Bud Plant last year at the SDCC to ONE table, this next show could be his last.  The times they are a changing, but NOT all bad. Wonder Con was 20% bigger this year with 3 rows still yet to go for exhibitors....so if you are on the fence, show up next year, I will...

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I was happy to talk to the ERB estate, and they are hopping for a "netflix" 8-10 hour  series  on a John Carter Reboot. 

I hope this happens.  I've loved the John Carter books since I was a kid.  The movie was a big disappointment to me. There was talk of sequels, but after that stinker I'm sure they dropped the idea.  

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

I have never seen  "Get Smart" or "I dream of Jeannie" as a wall book before hmmmm.......hm

I think some of those early 1960s Dells are getting a bit of a bounce, at least in higher grades.  You're right that they were books dealers could hardly give away until recently.

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I hope this happens.  I've loved the John Carter books since I was a kid.  The movie was a big disappointment to me. There was talk of sequels, but after that stinker I'm sure they dropped the idea.  

The estate admitted they were disappointed that John Carter was "disney" dumbed down, and are hopping for some "real action" in the reboot, it is in the discussion stage as we speak.

6 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for the report Robot Man. This show reminded me of what San Diego was like in the early nineties. Lots of fun and lots of comics (though back then San Diego had more.) Anyway Busted Flush and I came away with big smiles and had a really great time for a con this size. I did some box diving and came up with some treasures on the cheap. The best obsure book was this Real Fact from Terry. I also was way happy to pick up five early sixties Mads in the grab bag table of Bronze Age books at 5 for $20. And that great rack of books earlier was Torpedo Comics and those were K's after the price with the exception of All Star 8 priced with an M!! $1.5 of them M's would have taken it home. Count that out in hundreds!

tn_RealFact14.jpg

tn_Mads.jpg

tn_MadSpecial.jpg

Box diving is where the deals are. Too much work for most but I find very cool stuff in them. Believe it or not I got the best of Harley for once out of one of his boxes. I'll post the fruits of my labors in a few days when I go through what I got.

Great MADs by the way!

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Atlas War comics #11 in the middle photo, top near corner :cloud9:

this comic has been on fire these days... just like the enemy solders shown on fire from the flame thrower lol 

I bet you could spot that book from a mile away!

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

.... wow........... do you still have those first editions ? :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

.... wow........... do you still have those first editions ? :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ERB used to give me his handwritten manuscripts once his publisher was done with them.  I think I must have them around here somewhere. hm 

19 hours ago, NoMan said:

Yeah that guy had THE WALL. Not sure who he was. 

that was greg and matt trujillo from AGE OF COMICS in albuquerque. they had a small booth with nothing but incredible key books including perhaps the most incredible of all. what's more, they let me hold it. super cool guys and really amazing stuff. no filler. 

IMG_1603.jpg

On 3/24/2018 at 11:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Lots of folks that say they have quit SDCS.

Interesting development. Torpedo comics has announced a con the week before SDCS with a killer dealer list and growing. One day affair like Terry’s show. Might be the death of comic dealers at SDCS...

i think the torpedo con is a brilliant idea. of course i live in LA, so it's great for me, and my collector friends here. I havent gone to SDCC in over a decade, but i will go to this every year if they do it! 

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

that was greg and matt trujillo from AGE OF COMICS in albuquerque. they had a small booth with nothing but incredible key books including perhaps the most incredible of all. what's more, they let me hold it. super cool guys and really amazing stuff. no filler. 

IMG_1603.jpg

When I saw this and that poop eating grin, I thought maybe, just maybe... Don't feel bad, I'd be scared to even hold it. Was my favorite book in that incredible display. All the talk was of the multiple AF 15s or the two All Stars, but I saw that one in the upper left corner and couldn't see anything else. You, sir, are a man of taste!