• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2018 at 12:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Here’s my haul. I went a little hog wild since this is my last con for a while. Most of this stuff came from box diving. So much great stuff gets overlooked because people are to lazy to look.

BD5C9440-B122-4285-85CC-987A32F87A56.jpeg

Great haul.  Love the Human Torch and Rangers.

Edited by n2wdw

On 3/25/2018 at 12:42 PM, Robot Man said:

My observations. Great show with a lot of great material if you were willing to do a little work. Easy parking, crowds were minimal, prices were fair in most cases. Something for every one and a very enjoyable show. Everything SDCC isn’t. Talked to quite a few people who have given it up and go here instead. Not the Gaslamp but the area has lots of good eateries and stuff to do. Send the wife and kids to Disneyland while you go to the show. Saw s lot of boardies and lots of smiles. This is a very recommended midsize show. Glad to have it here and look forward to next year.

Any body else go? Feel free to post your photos and observations here.

Great report, thanks for posting.  I've never gone to Wonder Con.  This is a con I want to go to, along with ECCC.  At the moment I have Thur and Sun tickets for SDCC.  I probably won't go -- although if I do I might just go for Thur and soak in an immersive comic experience.  Frankly it may depend if I need the miles to make 1K on United.  Otherwise I'm not sure what my next con will be in 2018.  In started with a bang with Terry's con, but then I had a work conflict with ECCC and couldn't go.  Often I go to WW Philly in May because it's close to where I live, but it's such a lame con at most I might go just for the day (if at all).  Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I just keyed on your comment that this might be your last con for a while.

35 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

Great report, thanks for posting.  I've never gone to Wonder Con.  This is a con I want to go to, along with ECCC.  At the moment I have Thur and Sun tickets for SDCC.  I probably won't go -- although if I do I might just go for Thur and soak in an immersive comic experience.  Frankly it may depend if I need the miles to make 1K on United.  Otherwise I'm not sure what my next con will be in 2018.  In started with a bang with Terry's con, but then I had a work conflict with ECCC and couldn't go.  Often I go to WW Philly in May because it's close to where I live, but it's such a lame con at most I might go just for the day (if at all).  Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I just keyed on your comment that this might be your last con for a while.

Don't you go to Baltimore? Seems it would be right in your wheel house. That one is on my bucket list.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Don't you go to Baltimore? Seems it would be right in your wheel house. That one is on my bucket list.

You should definitely go to Baltimore.  It is a great con for comics.  And while you're there, go someplace and get Maryland crabs.  You will then realize that your CA dungeness crabs are a pale imitation (although I concede that dungeness crabs sauteed in garlic is pretty freaking awesome). 

For me, the Balt con always seems to conflict with travel.  But I agree it's a great con for comic collectors.

15 hours ago, n2wdw said:

You should definitely go to Baltimore.  It is a great con for comics.  And while you're there, go someplace and get Maryland crabs.  You will then realize that your CA dungeness crabs are a pale imitation (although I concede that dungeness crabs sauteed in garlic is pretty freaking awesome). 

For me, the Balt con always seems to conflict with travel.  But I agree it's a great con for comic collectors.

Crabs...:whatthe:  Not for me!

Yeah, Baltimore is on my hit list. I've hit all the other big ones at least once but this one seems like one of the best ones for just buying old comics. One day...

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well, for those who care, it’s opening day for baseball! Just gotta say...Go Dodgers!

So on that note, more from my WonderCon “pile” are these cool ones just in time for baseball.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to opening day. Some day ...

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Going to get up real early for a few hours of junking tomorrow morning and then a day of Easter festivities with the family tomorrow. So, thought I'd post some Easter stuff now while I had the time. Everybody have a great day!

motorcyclerabbit.jpg

comwdcs152.jpg

rabbitwindup1.jpg

com3Dpetercottintail.jpg

rabbitcheincart1.jpg

comjunior13.jpg

rabbitcellowinduptrike1.jpg

rabbitcellowindup1.jpg

Wabbits! :applause:

Cool stuff RM! Happy Easter! 

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks Corey. You too. Just waiting for the gang to show up. Feel free to post some Bugs Easter covers here if you want to. I know there are probably some. I don't have any but I suspect you probably do...

I'm out 'hopping around' for Easter festivities but have my iPad. There is a Bugs Bunny Easter piece I wanted to share today, but it isn't in my iPad (I was able to Post the Hangman 3 today because I did). I will upload it when I get home later.

.....and just under the wire. Next year I'll have to start at midnight Easter to get more in. So this piece I got off eBay from a seller saying he was selling off estate 'junk'. He dated it circa 50's and I'd have to agree , seeing as a lot of Bugs items From this period used this image. Slightly tweaked here with Bugs holding a portrait.

This folder/photo holder is titled 'My Visit With Bugs Bunny', I assume some retailers used this as an Easter promotion. It measures 6.5 x 8, and though yellowed a bit, it's not brittle and has nice colors in person. Inside was a photo of a kid obviously with the Easter Bunny(original owner?). Anyway creepy as some Easter Bunnys can be I didn't throw the picture away( seen too many Horror movies to know what can happen when you things like that :D)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Since I'm pretty complete on pre-code horror, I've been picking up a lot of post-code Atlas horror and fantasy. I really like Bill Everett's post code covers a lot. This is one of the very few comics left from my original childhood collection. This one always grabbed my attention for some reason and is still one of my favorites.

commarveltales151.jpg