• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,662 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2024 at 12:12 PM, Professor K said:

I remember that Davey Jones license, really cool. The L.A. 60's music and Hollywood scene has been an interest of mine for a while. A few things I've learned- The biggest band in LA in those years was Love fronted by Arthur Lee.They were originally called the Grass Roots but their name got stolen by another band so they changed it to Love. They would fill up an entire block called Cosmos Alley every night. That must have been fun. Most of the new bands in LA circa 65/66 were not good live, even terrible. Most of the bands didn't even play on their albums., they used studio musicians.  The Mothers of Invention and Love could actually play their intruments and really well.. So this guy Vito and his friend Carl had a dance school. There were about 20 or so guys and gals that would go to the shows and dance in front of the stage like freaks so they became known as The Freaks. People would go to the shows more to see the dancers carrying on than hear the bands. According to Zappa and Johnny Echols of Love. 

The Monkees were part of the scene. Mainly Mickey and Peter. Mike wasn't into it but he became very close friends with Frank Zappa.   Peter's house was a 24/7 party house for a while. He was a nudist. Walk around buck naked all the time. 

My mom drove me and a few friends to Hollywood to see Love at Dave Hull’s Hullaballo (later the Aquaris Theatre). We were very young but thought we were so cool. Love was awsome. They were the house band there.

Zappa and the Monkees were good friends suprisingly. They were part of the Topanga/Sunset Blvd music scene.

There is a great documentary on it. Great time to be a music fan in LA. 

On 6/9/2024 at 8:49 PM, Jayman said:

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

I have to see this movie someday👍it has eluded me my whole life‼️

On 6/16/2024 at 8:58 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I have to see this movie someday👍it has eluded me my whole life‼️

I watched it not long ago on either Tubi or FreeVee for free. :gossip:

On 6/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Few Additional Posters

IMG_7162.JPG.904a7e0752e3efc6c381633397790de7.JPG

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_0384.jpeg

Lots of cool stuff there, but as a guy in New England the clear winner is the guy riding the lobsta!

Edited by pmpknface

On 6/25/2024 at 11:13 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Between packing, organizing and liquidating I am discovering things I'd forgotten I had and in some cases don't recall acquiring them. 

Micky 2.jpg

Micky patent 1926 reference.jpg

Buck Rogers atomic page Hiroshima 1945.JPG

McCarthy 2.jpg

Pucture Parade outer cover teacher ediition 1953.jpg

Moon Landing record 1969 mint.JPG

monster models etc.jpg

Matchbook ad flier WW2 flip.JPG

Behind the German Lines slide 1917.jpg

Glass slide Bogart.JPG

Chaplin Should Arms lobby card 1922.JPG

Dr. Strangelove ad book.JPG

Citizen Kane program 1941.jpg

Marvel figures 1967.jpg

Ben Cooper version alternate Mask 1950s.JPG

Great stuff! I suspect that is true for many of us. I got into toys, advertising and other stuff by prowling for comics. As much as I don’t remember where I got a lot of stuff, there are things I bought up to 40-50 years ago that I remember exactly the purchase.

That “Micky” wooden figure is a VERY early Mickey Mouse/Ignatz Mouse ripoff. I have quite a few similar pieces of unauthorized Mickey, Krazy Cat and Felix.