• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, Cat said:

You really should, it's a really good read. I say that as someone who generally detests Marvel cosmic stuff. 

Coming from the opposite direction, I’ve always liked cosmic storylines and it’s a very good one.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:02 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Coming from the opposite direction, I’ve always liked cosmic storylines and it’s a very good one.

On 4/16/2023 at 2:46 AM, Cat said:

You really should, it's a really good read. I say that as someone who generally detests Marvel cosmic stuff. 

So whatever your direction, it's a really good read, is what we're saying. :foryou:

On 4/18/2023 at 1:05 AM, Cat said:

So whatever your direction, it's a really good read, is what we're saying. :foryou:

I agree. Some of the tie-ins have much more relevance than others, such as the essential lead-in Nova Corps series, others add little. But, the core storyline is great.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, media_junkie said:

Wow, maybe I have just aged out of comic book movies.  I found that whole scence in the spacesuits just "cringe" and not funny at all.  Additionally I've heard that someone dies in this, but like who cares, just pull them from another multiverse like they did with Gamora.  Totally no stakes.

That is part of the drag now with the Multiverse. Someone dies - just bring forward a variant from another branch and call it undone.

On 4/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, media_junkie said:

Wow, maybe I have just aged out of comic book movies.  I found that whole scence in the spacesuits just "cringe" and not funny at all.  Additionally I've heard that someone dies in this, but like who cares, just pull them from another multiverse like they did with Gamora.  Totally no stakes.

There are stakes. With Gamora, story-wise, it probably changes the entire chemistry of the Guardians (at least it seems that way in the trailer). Because that Gamora we knew and who shared adventures and feelins' with this "family" is gone forever. If done right, it makes for interesting story trajectories. The same goes with Loki. It was interesting (to me anyway) to see a variant Loki who discovered what his future had in store for him and who changed the course of his life based on that knowledge.

Also, we can't just pluck another Tony Stark or Natasha from 838-universe to replace ours. Wanda tried that in Multiverse of Madness with disastrous results. Stark, Natasha, and T'Challa are permanently dead and aren't coming back.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

That old overtalking shtick, one of Gunn's "signature" comedic stylings, is just weak sauce at this point. 

Soon to come to a Superman movie near you.

And that's the bigger concern when trying to feed off another franchise's earlier wins. The mindset what worked at that point-in-time will clearly work again by hiring that director and repeating the same elements that worked then.

Prior to the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, Rocket Raccoon was the only OG character I cared about, as I wasn't that familiar with the Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest comics which are the primary source for the movies. So kinda glad this one is apparently focused on Rocket. Besides the Warlock character.

On 4/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

And that's the bigger concern when trying to feed off another franchise's earlier wins. The mindset what worked at that point-in-time will clearly work again by hiring that director and repeating the same elements that worked then.

I would think James Gunn is a smarter filmmaker than to make a Superman film that looks talks and acts like Guardians of the Galaxy, or worse, Suicide Squad. Didn't he write and produce Brightburn (essentially a multiverse Superman movie which I never saw)? I don't believe that was a comedy.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I would think James Gunn is a smarter filmmaker than to make a Superman film that looks talks and acts like Guardians of the Galaxy, or worse, Suicide Squad. Didn't he write and produce Brightburn (essentially a multiverse Superman movie which I never saw)? I don't believe that was a comedy.

He was one of the producers, but he didn't write it.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:47 PM, media_junkie said:

He was one of the producers, but he didn't write it.

Gunn spends too much time on social media. It's going to be Reeve/Routh 3.0.

I firmly believe that Superman: Legacy's only chance at success will be if the villain is as strong as possible. And by that I mean strength of presence and writing logic. I also think that the only way this happens is if it's Brainiac, because I think only an ID10T would write jokes for an AI villain in this day and age (Ultron can be an example of what does and doesn't work with AI dialogue).

On 4/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Gunn spends too much time on social media. It's going to be Reeve/Routh 3.0.

I firmly believe that Superman: Legacy's only chance at success will be if the villain is as strong as possible. And by that I mean strength of presence and writing logic. I also think that the only way this happens is if it's Brainiac, because I think only an ID10T would write jokes for an AI villain in this day and age (Ultron can be an example of what does and doesn't work with AI dialogue).

I would love to see a well done Braniac film, where the serious tone of that character drives the narrative. The type of humor prevalent in the superhero films only works if the story is excellent in the first place.