• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction 2017
1 1

363 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I think the psychology of the entire online auction phenomenon is certainly in question, but if you know your maximum, plug it in, and walk away... it doesn't matter when the auction ends, or what anyone else does.

Most people's maximum for any one piece is highly dependent on how they've done on earlier pieces and what's coming up after. Comic art collectors are very greedy; they want it all; on the cheap too. Rarely works out that way though lol

9 hours ago, glendgold said:

It's funny -- if you go back in the comicart-l archives to the very beginning, 20 or so years ago, you'll see people having the same argument.  Just bid and walk away vs. last minute.  I used to be the former until I realized that other people don't actually know how much to bid, just what other people value something at. 

Ha ha. Very good Glen. It's only the rare person that can value things absent comps and context. Context being who else is interested, for how much, and how many of them there are. Even if you and I don't care, everybody else does and our early bids just drive the rest of the sheep to bid and counter-bid, thus costing 'us' more money in the end. Even though our top number never wavered, beginning to end.

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I have to believe that, at least for the Big 3 auction players in the hobby, they are not stupid enough to risk their franchises (plus civil suits, jail time or even physical harm) to do something like that.

As long as there is a Mastro...it's out there. And if it's happened once...I'll continue to err on the side of caution. Though I'll admit to occasionally leaving a bid 'out there' on a low end Saturday Trash Day sale, always better things to do on a Saturday, unless it's a February Nor'Easter!

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

SuperGirl

That I can probably see, but it spills over to his Fathom stuff too. This comp was through the roof as well (for a non-inked, fairly simplistic drawing)-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Turner-Fathom-Aspen-Matthews-Original-Comic-Book-Pencil-Art-Artwork-/142501806720?hash=item212dc50280:g:3lcAAOSw0OxZs3Bg

6 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

That I can probably see, but it spills over to his Fathom stuff too. This comp was through the roof as well (for a non-inked, fairly simplistic drawing)-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Turner-Fathom-Aspen-Matthews-Original-Comic-Book-Pencil-Art-Artwork-/142501806720?hash=item212dc50280:g:3lcAAOSw0OxZs3Bg

Dying tragically young as he did, there is that sort of Hendrix / Morrison thing going on perhaps? I've never been a collector of his work, but the guy continues to have covers reprinted pretty frequently so there must be a sizable audience there.

17 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Dying tragically young as he did, there is that sort of Hendrix / Morrison thing going on perhaps? I've never been a collector of his work, but the guy continues to have covers reprinted pretty frequently so there must be a sizable audience there.

Turner has a following for sure. I don't like his style at all, but someone apparently does, as they continue to release statues, figures, posters, prints, variant covers etc of his work.  And his work has a far reaching impact. For instance, more than 10 years ago, I was dating a girl who didn't know anything about comics at all, but she knew Turner, and she loved his stuff, and her own art was based largely on his. I dunno. I don't get it myself, but there are a lot of fans out there, and as he passed away at a very young age, there's a finite supply of his art out there, so I'd expect prices to stay steady for some time to come.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Whoa!  The Perez Infinity Gauntlet page is already at $8.2K, and the other Perez listing are starting to heat up, too.

Starlin stuff still seems cheap, for the moment.

the Saviuk Web of Spidey cover is at $9.5K.  WTF!!! (shrug)

I was in the running for the ig page initially, but I have a feeling it's going to end at some crazy +11k price. The marvel 2 in one page  is still low but I'm betting it will finish around 10k also

and I'm surprised also the the web of Spider-Man cover is that high also.

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

Kind of strange but there has been less than average movement on all the pieces I have tracking bids on for the final two days of the auction.

I am tempted to put in a few bids on items that are not necessarily in my focus but I find cool that seem like great deals.

I am most curious to see if UXM 266 hits reserve. 

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Could someone explain Michael Turner prices to me?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1189360

If he was considered a cheesecake artist, I don't find his art to be that sexy. Am I missing something? Is this just a 20-year-rule nostalgia thing?

Actually its still cheap.  Last similar cover sold for 12.5 at clink. This one has more girls and is a published cover. 90s nostalgia is real and prices for top creators of that period are not likely to get cheaper any time soon.

1 hour ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

I was in the running for the ig page initially, but I have a feeling it's going to end at some crazy +11k price. The marvel 2 in one page  is still low but I'm betting it will finish around 10k also

The Ron Lim IG page is still pretty affordable.

2 hours ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

I know, right?  The Perez Marvel Tales 261 cover is at $3.6K and looks stoopid cheap in comparison.  Spiderman vs Hobgoblin.  I used to own that cover and it is very nice. 

32 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
2 hours ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

I know, right?  The Perez Marvel Tales 261 cover is at $3.6K and looks stoopid cheap in comparison.  Spiderman vs Hobgoblin.  I used to own that cover and it is very nice. 

You know, if you think about it Sauvik has probably drawn spider-man on as many covers and stories as any artist ever. He defined a decade of Web of Spider-man, and this is probably his best cover to have from that run. I don't know, I've seen crazy prices for Black suit 80s Spidey pages, not THAT shocking to see this piece above 7k....10k I don't know but I can see 7k pretty easy I think. If you collect iconic stuff by known guys working on signature books,  those items can set goofy prices when it all washes out.