• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction 2017
1 1

363 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, The Shoveler said:

How does it affect the value of a first appearance page when that first appearance page did not appear first?

Gambit first appeared in Uncanny X-Men Annual #14 in July 1990.  Then he (later) appeared in Uncanny X-Men #266 in August 1990.

I don't think it matters much in this case.  It was really just a scheduling mistake by Marvel at the time.  X-Men 266 is the first chronological appearance, and was definitely intended to come out first.  It may boost the value of the Annual's cover a bit, but I doubt it would ever come close to the price tag of the 266 cover.  

9 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

I don't think it matters much in this case.  It was really just a scheduling mistake by Marvel at the time.  X-Men 266 is the first chronological appearance, and was definitely intended to come out first.  It may boost the value of the Annual's cover a bit, but I doubt it would ever come close to the price tag of the 266 cover.  

Good point.  I don't think Gambit appears on the UXM Annual cover (as far as I can see), but I could understand if story page #12 has some additional interest (Gambit tax?) associated with it.  And he doesn't figure prominently in any of the Annual's panel pages or in the overall action of that story.

Thank you for your reply, bisquit!

1 hour ago, The Shoveler said:

Good point.  I don't think Gambit appears on the UXM Annual cover (as far as I can see), but I could understand if story page #12 has some additional interest (Gambit tax?) associated with it.  And he doesn't figure prominently in any of the Annual's panel pages or in the overall action of that story.

Thank you for your reply, bisquit!

I think this is a clear example where the OA market will follow the comic market.  There's novelty interest in UXM Annual 12, but 266 has always been the key issue.

Plus I feel like this cover gets an extra bump because it's so much nicer looking than the interiors.  If Kubert did the interiors of this issue as well as the cover I'd imagine they'd be going for 4-5x what they're going for today.

Gambit may not be at his zenith in popularity today, but he's well remembered.  Heck, the X-Men cartoon of the 90's alone made him an icon for my generation.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Plus I feel like this cover gets an extra bump because it's so much nicer looking than the interiors.  If Kubert did the interiors of this issue as well as the cover I'd imagine they'd be going for 4-5x what they're going for today.

Agreed completely.  Now pages from 267... That's another story.  Some beautiful stuff there.  

6 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Do we see more "tracking bids" at Clink because of their lack of a watch system? Good for the consignor although why people haven't figured out how to bookmark a page is beyond me.

putting a link to the page won't save the auction result in your history....  Tracking bids will always show up, so i can see what page x sold for 3-4 years ago.

29 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Does comiclink use a system similar to comic connect at the end of their auction for 'extended bidding'? Where as if a bid is placed with under 2 minutes to go , it goes into extended time of an additional two minutes every time another bid is placed ?

Nope, when it's over, it's over.  Not extended bidding time.

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

Fast and furious bidding to start on several pieces. I ended up placing more tracking bids than I thought I would.

What is the record for an IG panel page? The Thanos/Death page is already over 5k.

I was very pleased with that progress because I also have a Perez thanos death page, the I saw that the clink page was the infinity gauntlet, quite prominently, which likely gives it a boost 

Malvin 

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Do we see more "tracking bids" at Clink because of their lack of a watch system? Good for the consignor although why people haven't figured out how to bookmark a page is beyond me.

If you put in a tracking bid they become searchable long after the auction is over in "your bids" tab. So even if links change or bookmarks are not on a particular computer or device you can always dig up the results in your Clink account. 

1 hour ago, malvin said:

I was very pleased with that progress because I also have a Perez thanos death page, the I saw that the clink page was the infinity gauntlet, quite prominently, which likely gives it a boost 

Malvin 

I think this is the first time he actually uses the Gauntlet so, yeah, he's kind of a big deal on this page. lol 

Preauction I was thinking 5-6k but obviously that will probably be eclipsed. I am curious if the A/A+ panel pages are potentially pushing 5 figure range. The movie hype effect has probably seeped into the Thanos/cosmic Marvel market more than any other. I can't help but wondering if after all this Thanos movie arc stuff is done if the pieces will recede in pricing.

25 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I think this is the first time he actually uses the Gauntlet so, yeah, he's kind of a big deal on this page. lol 

Cool art, cool page, but while I enjoyed it in 1991 well enough, I sure found it ultimately forgettable.    I can hardly remember a single thing that happens in it, and I sure can't remember any particular pages.  

Its funny how the cosmic stuff seems to be either 'cool but kinda meh' or 'OMFGBBQ' for most people.

29 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Just now, Bronty said:

Cool art, cool page, but while I enjoyed it in 1991 well enough, I sure found it ultimately forgettable.    I can hardly remember a single thing that happens in it, and I sure can't remember any particular pages.  

Its funny how the cosmic stuff seems to be either 'cool but kinda meh' or 'OMFGBBQ' for most people.

That's probably because Marvel stopped short of having the story REALLY mean anything by simply "undoing" everything Thanos did. There were very few truly lasting effects of that story which relegated the events to something akin to an "elseworlds" or "what if?" tale. 

The events were, basically and instantly, ret-conned. 

Bobby Ewing came out of the shower and told Thanos it was all a dream. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

That's probably because Marvel stopped short of having the story REALLY mean anything by simply "undoing" everything Thanos did. There were very few truly lasting effects of that story which relegated the events to something akin to an "elseworlds" or "what if?" tale. 

The events were, basically and instantly, ret-conned. 

Bobby Ewing came out of the shower and told Thanos it was all a dream. 

I'm sure that may be true but the retconning is not why I can't really remember it.    I just can't really remember it.

Interesting point though!

Just now, Bronty said:

I'm sure that may be true but the retconning is not why I can't really remember it.    I just can't really remember it.

Interesting point though!

I'd wager if all those major events had taken root in continuity and changed a bunch of the titles for years following it would have been more memorable, that's what I meant.