• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

Scathing review from the San Francisco Chronicle, The Rock's (original) hometown newspaper.

Review: The Rock fails in ‘Black Adam’ — possibly the worst movie ever

"“Black Adam” does not deserve a bad review. A bad movie review would be too kind. It would imply that “Black Adam” is an actual movie."

And, for the record, I think this will work out financially - it may only top out at around $550 million theatrically, but I also think Warner Bros. would be okay with that - viewing it as a loss leader to prep folks for a guaranteed hit in a forthcoming "vs. Superman" sequel.

Doesn't mean we fans didn't deserve better.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Scathing review from the San Francisco Chronicle, The Rock's (original) hometown newspaper.

"“Black Adam” does not deserve a bad review. A bad movie review would be too kind. It would imply that “Black Adam” is an actual movie."

And, for the record, I think this will work out financially - it may only top out at around $550 million theatrically, but I also think Warner Bros. would be okay with that - viewing it as a loss leader to prep folks for a guaranteed hit in a forthcoming "vs. Superman" sequel.

Doesn't mean we fans didn't deserve better.

What was your crowd experience like when you went? Was there any memorable high point, other than what others have posted repeatedly in this thread?

On 10/29/2022 at 8:05 AM, piper said:

It was ok. 5/10.

Dwayne Johnson was his usual charismatic self. Little plot and tons of action.

My buddy already saw Black Adam twice at full price (not discount Tues.) and loved it. (thumbsu He owns a comic store and likes vintage DC more than Marvel.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

What was your crowd experience like when you went? Was there any memorable high point, other than what others have posted repeatedly in this thread?

Nah - didn't see it.

I was actually excited for this film before the reviews came in - not just from critics at large but from many of the boardies here. Specifically, I was excited to see Hawkman - because I both love Aldis Hodge (since Friday Night Lights) and the character (I own 3-4 copies of Brave & Bold 34 and adored the Hawkworld mini). To read from fellow boardies how they did Hawkman dirty in this film was the real nail in the coffin.

You may think I hold a grudge against DC films but you're dead wrong - I love many of these characters and went from livid at the tiness (BvS, Justice League, Suicide Squd) to now just mildly amused at how they seem to blow it, film after film, project after project.

Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman -- all amazing.

So why can't we get halfway decent portrayals of literally anyone else?

And, as you might suspect, I'll pass on this in the theater - seems little reason to waste the time and money to get excited about a mere post-credits sequence when it'll be available on HBO Max in 6 weeks anyway.

To be fair, I plan to pass on Wakanda Forever in the theater as well.

It's not a DC thing - it's a "make good movies" thing.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - didn't see it.

I was actually excited for this film before the reviews came in - not just from critics at large but from many of the boardies here. Specifically, I was excited to see Hawkman - because I both love Aldis Hodge (since Friday Night Lights) and the character (I own 3-4 copies of Brave & Bold 34 and adored the Hawkworld mini). To read from fellow boardies how they did Hawkman dirty in this film was the real nail in the coffin.

You may think I hold a grudge against DC films but you're dead wrong - I love many of these characters and went from livid at the tiness (BvS, Justice League, Suicide Squd) to now just mildly amused at how they seem to blow it, film after film, project after project.

Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman -- all amazing.

So why can't we get halfway decent portrayals of literally anyone else?

And, as you might suspect, I'll pass on this in the theater - seems little reason to waste the time and money to get excited about a mere post-credits sequence when it'll be available on HBO Max in 6 weeks anyway.

To be fair, I plan to pass on Wakanda Forever in the theater as well.

It's not a DC thing - it's a "make good movies" thing.

Not at all. Unless anyone assumed Morbius was a DC film. And you kept that thread well fed with box office and critic results too.

Seriously, you should give the movie a try. Hawkman, Doctor Fate and Black Adam make it interesting. And the action makes up for the light story.

If you are a normal comic book fan you will like this film. If you are comic snob
you will hate the film. I would give it a 6 to 7 out of 10. Not fantastic, but entertaining
a decent DC film not Marvel level for all types of reasons.

The Rock can't act and this film makes it apparent. 
Hawkman was great along with Doctor Fate. 

The beginning action scene are way overdone, but it does get better. 
The origin of the villain could have been done better I think.

The end credit scene is great. 

The odd statement from Gitesh about being 'close to Eternals' assumes math is not part of our skillset.

BA_62.PNG.147c83ce23ceec22fa9d5dcb1724b66e.PNG

The film had to make $2.34M less domestically this weekend to hit a 62% drop.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, piper said:

It was ok. 5/10.

Dwayne Johnson was his usual charismatic self. Little plot and tons of action. It’s the kind of film that I loved as a young teenage boy.

Dr. Fate looked cool on screen. 

I am also at 5/10.

There was great fight scenes, but to me it felt like I was watching someone else play a Black Adam video game. As you said: little plot and tons of action.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:43 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am also at 5/10.

There was great fight scenes, but to me it felt like I was watching someone else play a Black Adam video game. As you said: little plot and tons of action.

5/10 is pretty much where everyone I've seen it with put it at, basically "it wasn't bad...but it wasn't good". I think most of the positives feelings we held did not come from seeing it as an overall film, but rather a few specific decent moments (and having them done right for the most part; Doctor Fate, costumes, action). The one thing we all agreed on was the first action set piece was the best of the film, and after that the slow motion felt over used. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, Artboy99 said:

As you said: little plot and tons of action.

I checked out of most of these movies long ago when I sat gobsmacked watching Iron Man 3, with the seemingly endless and utterly gratuitous fight scenes, where more and more super-powered armored people kept arriving - "please, just make it stop," I thought to myself. And then those feelings were reinforced during Man of Steel when they punched each other through building after building for what seemed like half the movie. I suppose I should be grateful that the fodder for so many childhood memories is being mined like scorched earth by a vacuous and desperate Hollywood, but somewhere along the way as that freight train gained momentum, the plot too often seemed like an afterthought. :preach:     2c  :wavingwhiteflag:

On 10/30/2022 at 9:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

5/10 is pretty much where everyone I've seen it with put it at, basically "it wasn't bad...but it wasn't good". I think most of the positives feelings we held did not come from seeing it as an overall film, but rather a few specific decent moments (and having them done right for the most part; Doctor Fate, costumes, action). The one thing we all agreed on was the first action set piece was the best of the film, and after that the slow motion felt over used. 

I'd give it a 6.5/10 for story, a 7.5/10 for the action scenes (there is more than one) and backstory of the father/son twist that influenced the story. And the implied DC larger universe with all those hints to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and more.

The spin-off potentials from this film also drives fan excitement. Having the JSA appear, along with Waller running a superpower prison outside of Belle Reve Prison that is stocked with characters along with Cavill's Superman involvement demonstrates there is more stories to tell.

They do need to focus more on stronger stories moving forward. It can't be just big action scenes. Though I get when you have a powerhouse like Black Adam, his intro needed to demonstrate how dangerous he truly is to the world.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/31/2022 at 2:07 AM, PopKulture said:

I checked out of most of these movies long ago when I sat gobsmacked watching Iron Man 3, with the seemingly endless and utterly gratuitous fight scenes, where more and more super-powered armored people kept arriving - "please, just make it stop," I thought to myself. And then those feelings were reinforced during Man of Steel when they punched each other through building after building for what seemed like half the movie. I suppose I should be grateful that the fodder for so many childhood memories is being mined like scorched earth by a vacuous and desperate Hollywood, but somewhere along the way as that freight train gained momentum, the plot too often seemed like an afterthought. :preach:     2c  :wavingwhiteflag:

Didn't that start before Iron Man 3 with the huge Avengers (2012) NYC massive battle where in the end it was estimated that would have resulted in $160B in recovery costs alone if real?

'Avengers’ Damage to Manhattan Would Cost $160 Billion, Disaster Expert Estimates

I so appreciate that movie. But seeing all those skyscrapers falling down loaded with people was excessive if that is the distractor that breaks movie fun for anyone.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, Gatsby77 said:

The headline alone discredits itself. The writer should watch more movies.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The headline alone discredits itself. The writer should watch more movies.

It clearly struck a chord with this top critic.

He's written two follow-up pieces (so far):

‘Black Adam’ and The Rock — when really bad movies happen to good actors

The Rock’s ‘Black Adam’ tops our 10 worst movies ever

Note, his list of the top 10 worst comes with two caveats: he only covers the period for which he's been actively reviewing films, i.e. Rocky 4 (1985) on, and he's excluding truly C-list films that were never meant meant to be good. So, of the last 37 years, he's got:

1. Black Adam

2. Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest

3. Venom: Let There Be Carnage

4. Suicide Squad

5. Last Days

6. The House That Jack Built

7. Ghosts Can't Do It

8. The Last Airbender

9. RocknRolla

10. Romeo & Juliet (2013)

On 10/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

It clearly struck a chord with this top critic.

He's written two follow-up pieces (so far):

‘Black Adam’ and The Rock — when really bad movies happen to good actors

The Rock’s ‘Black Adam’ tops our 10 worst movies ever

Note, his list of the top 10 worst comes with two caveats: he only covers the period for which he's been actively reviewing films, i.e. Rocky 4 (1985) on, and he's excluding truly C-list films that were never meant meant to be good. So, of the last 37 years, he's got:

1. Black Adam

2. Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest

3. Venom: Let There Be Carnage

4. Suicide Squad

5. Last Days

6. The House That Jack Built

7. Ghosts Can't Do It

8. The Last Airbender

9. RocknRolla

10. Romeo & Juliet (2013)

This writer has intense vitriol for the movie. Did The Rock Amber Heard in this guy's bed?